Default Good inexpensive Cartridges for phono playback in 2005

I was asked by a co-worker to recommend a cartridge for her Rega table
and arm. What do you guys think is a good choice seeing as she doesn't
want to spend very much what with vinyl 'being obsolete' and all?

Off the top of my head I said Sumiko, but what choices are there
suitable for this arm and table (I'm not sure which Rega she has but
she bought it for $400 with arm in the late nineties if that helps)
besides Sumiko in that price range?

jeffc

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was asked by a co-worker to recommend a cartridge for her Rega table
and arm. What do you guys think is a good choice seeing as she doesn't
want to spend very much what with vinyl 'being obsolete' and all?

Off the top of my head I said Sumiko, but what choices are there
suitable for this arm and table (I'm not sure which Rega she has but
she bought it for $400 with arm in the late nineties if that helps)
besides Sumiko in that price range?

I'm not a fan of Sumiko, based mostly on my experience with the Blue Point
Special. I never thought it sounded all that great to begin with, and the
stylus is so exposed that it's a risk unless you're very careful (our
cleaning lady trashed ours before I told my wife to tell her never to go
near my stereo), and it's also very difficult to align correctly (cartridge
setup is very important.) I think someone who isn't a crazy audiophile
would do best with a high output, reasonably priced, rectangular cartridge,
like a Grado.

Sander deWaal

"jeffc" said:

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Denon DL110 or 160.
Good performance for under $200.

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "
jav

A classic cartridge generally regarded as one of the best values is a Denon
DL-103.
They run $160-200 but require a phono preamp because they are a low output
moving coil design. I've got two of a slightly higher end model (103D) and
it's
superb, however the 103D is no longer available.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was asked by a co-worker to recommend a cartridge for her Rega table
and arm. What do you guys think is a good choice seeing as she doesn't
want to spend very much what with vinyl 'being obsolete' and all?

Off the top of my head I said Sumiko, but what choices are there
suitable for this arm and table (I'm not sure which Rega she has but
she bought it for $400 with arm in the late nineties if that helps)
besides Sumiko in that price range?

Trevor Wilson

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was asked by a co-worker to recommend a cartridge for her Rega table
and arm. What do you guys think is a good choice seeing as she doesn't
want to spend very much what with vinyl 'being obsolete' and all?

Off the top of my head I said Sumiko, but what choices are there
suitable for this arm and table (I'm not sure which Rega she has but
she bought it for $400 with arm in the late nineties if that helps)
besides Sumiko in that price range?

**Depending on where you are and if they are still available (and at what
price), the Shure V15VMR is an outstanding choice for any tone arm. It does
not require the strictures of a sturdy tone arm, nor a step up device. After
owning a number of very fine carts over the years, I recently listened (and
measured) a V15VMR and was pleasantly surprised at just how good it was.
Certainly not quite up to the standards of (say) a Dynavector 17D-II, it is
bloody good in it's own right and way ahead of many boutique branded carts.
IMO.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

I thought they'd quit making serious cartridges for some bull****
reason.

Powell

"Trevor Wilson" wrote

**Depending on where you are and if they are still available
(and at what price), the Shure V15VMR is an outstanding
choice for any tone arm. It does not require the strictures of
a sturdy tone arm, nor a step up device. After owning a
number of very fine carts over the years, I recently listened
(and measured) a V15VMR and was pleasantly surprised
at just how good it was.

Note: Shure stopped manufacturing the V-15... it's that good .

severian

"Powell" wrote in message

"Trevor Wilson" wrote

**Depending on where you are and if they are still available
(and at what price), the Shure V15VMR is an outstanding
choice for any tone arm. It does not require the strictures of
a sturdy tone arm, nor a step up device. After owning a
number of very fine carts over the years, I recently listened
(and measured) a V15VMR and was pleasantly surprised
at just how good it was.

Note: Shure stopped manufacturing the V-15... it's that good .

Sad isn't it?

I'd add, belatedly, that the Grado line continues to have some oustanding
bargains, and has since I first heard them some 20 yrs ago. Not many lemons
on that tree.