fogdog

Default basic question about my receiver

I got an entry level onkyo receiver and like I am sure most receivers it
allows you to adjust each speaker some + or - decibel amount. Is there
any rule of thumb as to what the center, left, right speakers should be
set to? Just do what sounds the best?
MINe 109

fogdog wrote:

I got an entry level onkyo receiver and like I am sure most receivers it
allows you to adjust each speaker some + or - decibel amount. Is there
any rule of thumb as to what the center, left, right speakers should be
set to? Just do what sounds the best?

In general, yes. Some think you should decrease the center channel
level. A test for this would be to play a stereo track and hit the mono
button. If the centered stuff (lead vocals, whatever) is too loud, back
off a bit!

Chances are it's fine as it is.

Stephen
TCS

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 19:52:37 -0400, fogdog wrote:
I got an entry level onkyo receiver and like I am sure most receivers it
allows you to adjust each speaker some + or - decibel amount. Is there
any rule of thumb as to what the center, left, right speakers should be
set to? Just do what sounds the best?

RTFM (read the ****ing manual)
fogdog

RTFM (read the ****ing manual)

Gee thanks for explaining what RTFM means, I don't think I have ever
seen that before. If this is your reply, just don't bother next time.
TCS

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 22:14:56 -0400, fogdog wrote:

RTFM (read the ****ing manual)

Gee thanks for explaining what RTFM means, I don't think I have ever
seen that before. If this is your reply, just don't bother next time.

Then why haven't you read the ****ing manual?

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
fogdog wrote:

I got an entry level onkyo receiver and like I am sure most

receivers it
allows you to adjust each speaker some + or - decibel amount. Is

there
any rule of thumb as to what the center, left, right speakers

should be
set to? Just do what sounds the best?

In general, yes. Some think you should decrease the center channel
level. A test for this would be to play a stereo track and hit the

mono
button. If the centered stuff (lead vocals, whatever) is too loud,

back
off a bit!

Chances are it's fine as it is.

Stephen

Interesting. At least for movies, I often hear of people complaining
about the unintelligibility of the dialog from the center channel,
compared to all the special effects such as explosions, etc. And the
usual consensus always seemed to be that turning UP the center channel
is the way to go. I just use a Rat Shack meter and set all speakers to
the same level, but usually end up bumping up the center by a couple of
db. I'm not sure which is "correct", but this is what works for me.: )

Jeff

George M. Middius

Dickless said:

Then why haven't you read the ****ing manual?

Because watching you melt down over nothing is more entertaining.

Arny Krueger

fogdog wrote:

I got an entry level onkyo receiver and like I am sure most

receivers
it allows you to adjust each speaker some + or - decibel amount. Is
there any rule of thumb as to what the center, left, right speakers
should be set to? Just do what sounds the best?

By all means just do what sounds best. Between room acoustics that
vary around the room, varying speaker efficiencies and dispersion
patterns, its difficult to predict a control setting.

fogdog

TCS wrote:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 22:14:56 -0400, fogdog wrote:

RTFM (read the ****ing manual)

Gee thanks for explaining what RTFM means, I don't think I have ever
seen that before. If this is your reply, just don't bother next time.

Then why haven't you read the ****ing manual?

Perhaps the manual did not address this particular question as I have
expressed on the newsgroup here? I mean the list goes on as to possible
reasons I would ask this question even after reading the ****ty manual.
Chump.

ScottW

fogdog wrote:
I got an entry level onkyo receiver and like I am sure most receivers

it
allows you to adjust each speaker some + or - decibel amount. Is

there
any rule of thumb as to what the center, left, right speakers should

be
set to? Just do what sounds the best?

You should always use what sounds best. But trying all possible
options is impossible so you need means of starting out.

I set each channel to the same level using a sound meter at the
listening position. That worked ok for music but didn't do it for
movies... the dialogue from center was just too low so I ended up with
a 2-3 db boost there. It really makes a difference getting the rear
levels right too. I tried it by ear and thought things sounded good...
but after setting the levels with a meter... the effects really imaged
better and the realism improved.

I went through a similar excercise with my sub trying to achieve flat
frequency response on my stereo. I wasn't interested in maximum sub
output position.. it has plenty of output... just nice integration.
After tweaking endlessly and measuring to the best of my ability I
thought I had the best settings for flattest frequency response.
Giving it a listen gave me a feeling of a fat bloated bass heavy sound
so I went back to what sounded best.. just a tweak off the sub volume
and a tick lower crossover. It don't measure flat but it sure sounds
better..... to me.

One other thing... I don't know why but I got slightly different
results using a test dvd than the noise generator in the receiver when
setting up the surround.

ScottW

MINe 109 wrote:
If you combine stereo tracks to make mono, you double the relative

level
of whatever's in the center. On my tv, I can hear this effect going

from
stereo to SAP modes. "Doubling" sounds drastic, but it's only 3 dB.

OK, thanks for the explanation. I never knew that, and I've never
listened to music in anything but 2 channel stereo on my HT system, so
have never heard the effect you describe.

The other problem you mention has more to do with inadequate center
speakers. Surround for music would ideally have identical full-range
speakers all around.

Stephen

So between your recommendation for surround music, and mine for
surround movies, everything's covered. : )

Jeff