Default BOSE speaker help needed please

Brian wrote:
I have a BOSE Acoustimass 7 (3 saterlite speakers and bass speaker) I
brought this for surround sound. I have two BOSE VS100 small sized
speakers at the back of the room, near the ceiling.

I read in a article that the frequency range is:
Base module 46Hz to 202Hz at +-2.3dB
Satellites 280Hz to 13.3k Hz at +-10.5 dB
Can someone who has tested these speaker confirm that this is the
frequency range.
There seems to be gaps at
20Hz to 46 Hz
202Hz to 280Hz and

These gaps are really rather small. To get accurate figures for these
or any other speakers, you'd have to test the speakers in your room, so
that the acoustics of your room would be taken into account.

Also, it's pretty likely that the frequency range of your speakers
doesn't precisely start and end at, for example, 202Hz and 280Hz. More
likely, the frequency range is a little lower below 202Hz and then
falls away somewhat at 280Hz.

It's really easy to get focussed on these sort of numbers and lose
track of whether the speakers are doing what you want. Somebody else's
measurements don't really tell you how the speakers will measure or
sound in your room. Furthermore, no speaker is perfect, and all
speakers will have some anomalies that prevent them from being perfect.

Are you in some way dissatisfied with your speakers?

If you're happy with the sound of your current speakers, then keep
them.

13.3k Hz to 20K Hz.

Assuming you can hear above 13.3kHz, there's little or no music there.

Can you name something that you're missing way up there? That's much
higher than anything you'd ordinarily hear. Almost all sound is much,
much lower.

I recently brought a sub woofer

Is this new sub powered by its own amplifier, or is it powered by your
receiver?

to try and full in the gap at the low
frequency range. The sub woofer is 28Hz to 200Hz.
I can't see anyway of disableing the BOSE bass speaker so that the

Sub
Woofer is used.

Can you tell us more about that new sub?

What does the new sub's manual say about connecting the new sub to the
receiver?

I have a Surround 5.1 sound decoder in my DVD player and connected

the
player to the ampilifer using 6 leads (one for each speaker). In

doing
this I was hoping that the subwoofer would get only the low frewuency
sounds. I have since found that the cut off frequency for the sub
woofer filter built into the DVD player is 120K Hz. This leaves a gap
from 120K Hz

....I think you meant to say "120Hz" here...

to 202K Hz.

....I think you meant to say "200Hz" here...

Again, this sort of gap really isn't a big deal, assuming it's really
there. The acoustics of your room could cause much bigger anomalies.
Due to the acoustics of your room, you might even have a peak between
120Hz and 202Hz.

The sort of ranges you're discussing won't be exactly starting and
stopping at the numbers you list. And within those sorts of ranges,
output will still vary. At best, these sort of numbers are only a rough
guide.

If you really want to get serious about frequency response, you could
start by getting a sound meter from Radio Shack and some test CDs that
will provide test tones at different frequencies. Then you could do
measurements in your room and start tweaking the sound there, not only
by tweaking your gear, but by tweaking acoustics, listening position,
etc. Even then, and even if you buy bigger, better, more expensive
speakers, the results will at best still be a compromise.

You haven't really said anything about feeling that you're missing
anything in the music or that you're dissatisfied in any way with what
you hear. Your only issues seem to be that you see a few numbers that
fall short of perfection. Unfortunately, all speakers fall short of
perfection. I'll add that it's way too easy to get stuck on speaker
measurements and get confused, which is why some speakers provide few
or no specs of the sort you're looking at.

If you listen to your speakers in your room with CDs and DVDs you know
and like, and the speakers sound OK then, do not add new speakers or
replace your speakers.

BTW, as you've undoubtedly discovered by now, there are some Bose
detractors in the newsgroups. There are some speakers that are bigger
and better than what you've got now, but if your speakers sound and
look good to you in your typical use, that's all that matters.

I've looked at your other posts in this thread, and I don't see you
saying anything negative about the sound of your speakers, so I assume
they sound OK to you. In that case, I wouldn't worry too much over
frequency response, which you can only measure accurately in your own
room anyway.

If you want to move up to bigger speakers, try looking and buying at
the smaller audio stores that have decent listening rooms that are like
your room at home. That should give you some ideas about what bigger
speakers would be like for you.

If you buy more speakers, get return privileges, in case the new
speakers don't sound good in your room.

If you want to sell the Bose speakers, you'll find many bidders on
eBay. An advantage of owning a really popular brand like Bose is that
there's always a strong resale market.

Another reason for connecting the amplifer with 6 leads was to be

able
to play super audio cd's (SA-CD).

Any advice would be most welcome.

Regards Brian

Joe Sensor

These gaps are really rather small. To get accurate figures for these
or any other speakers, you'd have to test the speakers in your room, so
that the acoustics of your room would be taken into account.

WHAT?

13.3k Hz to 20K Hz.

Assuming you can hear above 13.3kHz, there's little or no music there.

Whoo boy.

Can you name something that you're missing way up there? That's much
higher than anything you'd ordinarily hear. Almost all sound is much,
much lower.

Harmonic content? Tons of it?

...I think you meant to say "120Hz" here...

to 202K Hz.

...I think you meant to say "200Hz" here...

Again, this sort of gap really isn't a big deal, assuming it's really
there. The acoustics of your room could cause much bigger anomalies.
Due to the acoustics of your room, you might even have a peak between
120Hz and 202Hz.

A gap between 120 and 202 is "isn't a big deal"? Um, ok then.

[...]

Do you sell Bose speakers by any chance?
Geoff Wood

"Joe Sensor" wrote in message

A gap between 120 and 202 is "isn't a big deal"? Um, ok then.

like, almost an whole octave !!! ;-)

geoff

Joseph Oberlander

Again, this sort of gap really isn't a big deal, assuming it's really
there. The acoustics of your room could cause much bigger anomalies.
Due to the acoustics of your room, you might even have a peak between
120Hz and 202Hz.

Why should he not consider it a big deal when he can spend $100 on
a pair of speakers that has no such problems?

Joseph Oberlander wrote:
Again, this sort of gap really isn't a big deal, assuming it's

really
there. The acoustics of your room could cause much bigger

anomalies.
Due to the acoustics of your room, you might even have a peak

between
120Hz and 202Hz.

Why should he not consider it a big deal when he can spend $100 on
a pair of speakers that has no such problems?

I think the OP will need to spend more than $100 to get a set of HT
speakers + sub that will have the sort of frequency response figures
he's focused on.

If you can recommend a $100 set of HT speakers + sub that will have the
sort of numbers he wants, please do so.

Joseph Oberlander wrote:
wrote:

I think the OP will need to spend more than $100 to get a set of HT
speakers + sub that will have the sort of frequency response

figures
he's focused on.

Sure, but a *pair* of simple 2-way speakers can easily be had for
even as little as $100 that will be free of the problems the BOSE
systems have.

If you can recommend a $100 set of HT speakers + sub that will have

the
sort of numbers he wants, please do so.

Heh. Now, a system, that's going to run $300 at least for a
competant sub, and probably $100 a speaker for anything that
will be decor friendly and sound good.

I understand what you're saying, but the OP seems to be big on HT, so
he'll need surround.

BTW, I've been quite happy with several smaller stereo systems I've had
where I spent just about the amount you recommend on the speakers and
sub. I could get decent sound with music, which is a tougher listening
test for me than when I just needed sound for DVDs, TV, etc.,when I'm
watching the image and that tells me what's going on, and I focus less
on the sound of the speakers. So I do see the point of your suggestion.
I've spent many a happy hour enjoying exactly what you suggest, or else
using stereo headphones.

Actually, another suggestion, if the OP is comfortable with headphones,
is that he could keep his current speakers and use those when other
folks visit, then switch to headphones when he's alone and wants to
really focus on sound. I now do that myself with one TV and a small
small HT system, using speakers that sound OK, not great, but look good
and didn't cost much. If I really want to get into the sound, I switch
to headphones. A lot simpler and more compact than having really
expensive, big speakers that would gather dust most of the week anyway.
Plus, I can switch to different headphones (I have several) when I feel
like it.