Stewart Pinkerton

Default Flea problem

Er, anyone know a good cure for an infestation of camel fleas? I don't
seem to be able to reach far enough to scratch at them.............

Sander deWaal

Stewart Pinkerton said:

Er, anyone know a good cure for an infestation of camel fleas? I don't
seem to be able to reach far enough to scratch at them.............

;-)

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "
Choky

just go to another desert ,or use cannon

--
.................................................. ........................
Choky

"don't use force, "don't use force,
use a larger hammer" use a larger tube
- Choky and IST"
- ZM
"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
Er, anyone know a good cure for an infestation of camel fleas? I don't
seem to be able to reach far enough to scratch at them.............

Patrick Turner

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

Er, anyone know a good cure for an infestation of camel fleas? I don't
seem to be able to reach far enough to scratch at them.............

Recant thy murmurings of vengeful solid state righteousness,
and maybe the curses of the witchdoctors will fade, until next time.

To remove the curse entirely, build a 300B amp and explain the
optimization of the circuit
to all present.
Post your schematic at ABSE, and limit all your discussions to those
which are constructive, positive, and useful to others involved in tube
craft.

I had to remove the Solid God's curse this last month by making
a silk purse from a sow's ear in the form of a Turnerized Phase Linear,
( formerly known as a Phlame Linear, since it linearly produced flames..)

Man, could I have been doing something better!

Patrick Turner.

Doug Schultz

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

Er, anyone know a good cure for an infestation of camel fleas? I don't
seem to be able to reach far enough to scratch at them.............

Recant thy murmurings of vengeful solid state righteousness,
and maybe the curses of the witchdoctors will fade, until next time.

To remove the curse entirely, build a 300B amp and explain the
optimization of the circuit
to all present.
Post your schematic at ABSE, and limit all your discussions to those
which are constructive, positive, and useful to others involved in tube
craft.

I had to remove the Solid God's curse this last month by making
a silk purse from a sow's ear in the form of a Turnerized Phase Linear,
( formerly known as a Phlame Linear, since it linearly produced flames..)

Man, could I have been doing something better!

Patrick Turner.

How did the amp turn out Patrick?
I have a pair of these that are sitting in a closet waiting for something to
be done with them.
they are the Phase Linear 700b amps I think
I havent looked at them for a long time.But they may make a sub amp for my
system one day.

DOug

Stewart Pinkerton

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 02:31:02 +1100, Patrick Turner
wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

Er, anyone know a good cure for an infestation of camel fleas? I don't
seem to be able to reach far enough to scratch at them.............

Recant thy murmurings of vengeful solid state righteousness,
and maybe the curses of the witchdoctors will fade, until next time.

To remove the curse entirely, build a 300B amp and explain the
optimization of the circuit
to all present.

Heck, haven't 65, 536 blessed tubeacolytes already done that, based on
the Holy Writ contained in the RDH4?

Why should this poor sinner regurgitate such a cornucopia of
similarity? Have the Holy Load Lines been changed by the Gods of NOS?

Post your schematic at ABSE, and limit all your discussions to those
which are constructive, positive, and useful to others involved in tube
craft.

Bad grammar alert! You used constructive, positive and useful in the
same sentence as tubes.

I had to remove the Solid God's curse this last month by making
a silk purse from a sow's ear in the form of a Turnerized Phase Linear,
( formerly known as a Phlame Linear, since it linearly produced flames..)

Ah, but the key word is *linear*......... :-)

For such blessed resurrection, ye may Pass to a solid state of grace.

Be worthy and live in high fidelity, and thou shalt be delivered from
thy hollow state.

Man, could I have been doing something better!

Man, I feel like a woman!

And then another woman, and then another................ :-)

Ruud Broens

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
news : On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 02:31:02 +1100, Patrick Turner
: wrote:
:
: Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

:
: Bad grammar alert! You used constructive, positive and useful in the
: same sentence as tubes.
:
Leaking vinegar vat alert!!
Still pouring, there, P.
Seems the usually very high constructive/positive/useful to
vinegar ratio on RAT is brought down by certain 'interested' parties..

Cork it up, sonny
Rudy
: Stewart Pinkerton | Music is Art - Audio is Engineering

Doug Schultz

wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

[...]

Have you actually offered anything constructive yet to this group?
all I ever read from your posts is negative and destructive.
I am going to give it another couple of days but very tempted to just
killfile you now.
This is a TUBE newsgroup. We like to work with TUBES.If you have nothing
helpful to add to this group please just go away.
If you are willing to take the challenge that has been offered in other
threads in this NG and actually design present something to the group then
lets get on with the discussion.
I am sure we will all be waiting to see what you do.

Doug

Patrick Turner

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

[...]

I used choke input filters to get about +/-55v rails from the 62vrms
PT windings.
I didn't want to keep the original high power spec that is possible with +/- 85
v rails.

My client has no need for 700 watts per channel, and 150 is plenty into 8 ohms,
but with 10 output bjts per channel, it copes quite easily with 2 ohm loads, so
bridging with 4 ohms is a doddle, and you get 600 watts for a sub woofer.

But the Phase Linear original darn PT is a trifle noisy, especially after it has
warmed a little,
and its too audible for me, but maybe OK for the owner, who was using
a far worse PA amp made here by Acoustic Technology, and its fan whine and
tranny
can be heard a block away. I also have that to fix; next bloody year though.

I have a pair of these that are sitting in a closet waiting for something to
be done with them.
they are the Phase Linear 700b amps I think
I havent looked at them for a long time.But they may make a sub amp for my
system one day.

I thought I'd rebuild it in a fortnight, but its taken a month so far,
so no more rebuilds like this one for me; if they want one, they wait until
I build a new one from start to finish, with decent heatsinks, new case,
transformer, and layout, and for a decent price.

Bjt circuit operation takes some getting used to, but finally I stopped the
contraption oscillating and measuring badly, which many diy SS amps do if you
are not
au-fait with measures to counteract both, and you don't know how or what to
measure
to proove to yourself that your creation does actually work properly as an SS
amp should.

A direct coupled SS power amp freely allows a ****eload og NFB to be applied,
and in this case, the first lot of "embedded" NFB is in the emitter follower
output stage.
This amounts to about 40 dB, so the distortions created by the dreaded crossover
switching
is all reduced 40 dB by the emitter follower config, and that becomes negligible
in comparison
with the class A SE driver amp.

Yes, its not a typo, many bjt amps have class A SE topology for the main gain
topology.

Its possible to observe the amp without any FB applied, and the thd at max po
is about between 3 and 6%, a mix of 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9H, although the main
thd components are 3H and 2H, in about that order.

The open loop gain with no FB is 240,000, and is 108 dBv.
Some bjt amps have an open loop gain of 1 million

There is 77 dBv of applied global NFB to redice the gain of ther finished amp to

33 times, or 30 dB, so that 1 v in gives 33 v out.

The "open loop" thd is mainly due to the non linearities of the inpurt
differential pair
and the gain bjt which is loaded by a CCS, and then buffered by an emitter
follower
and CCS, before the VBE stage and the darlington connected EF output stage.

So in effect, only the 77 dB of global NFB is effective in reducing thd of the
driver stage.

So one would expect a fall in thd from 6% to -77dB, or reduced by a factor of
1 / 7,000, so that what we should end up with at 180 watts into 8 ohms just
before clipping
is 0.00086%, and unmeasurable thd at 10 watts.

But what I find irritating and puzzling is that the huge amount of NFB applied
apparently does not
give a result where the measured distortion is reduced by the same amount of
applied FB,
and in fact what I measure at 180 watts is a massive 0.012%, or 14 times the
predictable distortion using the gain / feedback equations which btw are just as
valid
for tube amps as with SS amps.

Now I have checked the thd of my oscillator which makes only 0.0015% at the
maximum input
voltage used for the tests, so why such high thd when it ought to be lower?

I tried for days to re-route the earthing paths and to get better optimal
working points
but still the thd refused to be as low as it should, so perhaps
the extra thd, which isn't really much, is due to unexplainable non linear
behaviour of the bjts,
and inaccuracies in the measurement gear procedure despite careful triple
checking,
and perhaps unavoidable slight induced thd voltages.
The observation of the small voltage signal ahead of the VAS stage revealed no
unpleasent secrets
( or hidden oscillations, even with a square test. )
I have scored less thd and with less open loop gain when I have used mosfets;
they are so easy to drive compared to output bjts, and one doesn't need the EF
buffer stage or
the darlington connection of output bjts to get the Rin of the output
stage up to over 200 kOHms so that the VAS amp has a lot of gain.

I have yet to fully complete the project, but at least I have two working not
smoking
channels

I will be posting the circuit I have used at ABSE in the next day or two.
It has zero resemblance to the original Phlame Linear 700b.

I have no idea how it sounds, but then it won't be long and I will know.

The mosfet amp I built in 1995 with similar power and less thd sounded OK.

Patrick Turner.

DOug

Patrick Turner

wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

Er, anyone know a good cure for an infestation of camel fleas? I don't
seem to be able to reach far enough to scratch at them.............

Recant thy murmurings of vengeful solid state righteousness,
and maybe the curses of the witchdoctors will fade, until next time.

To remove the curse entirely, build a 300B amp and explain the
optimization of the circuit
to all present.

Heck, haven't 65, 536 blessed tubeacolytes already done that, based on
the Holy Writ contained in the RDH4?

That is an unacceptable and innappropriate reply as far as the witchdoctor is
concerned.
A more pragmatic approach is what he wants.
He's very stern you know.

Why should this poor sinner regurgitate such a cornucopia of
similarity? Have the Holy Load Lines been changed by the Gods of NOS?

Prey to the God of Triodes, and He will Inspire ye with Divine Inspiriations.

Post your schematic at ABSE, and limit all your discussions to those
which are constructive, positive, and useful to others involved in tube
craft.

Bad grammar alert! You used constructive, positive and useful in the
same sentence as tubes.

I only work 'ere mate, and I wuz edjukated at a guvunment skool.

I had to remove the Solid God's curse this last month by making
a silk purse from a sow's ear in the form of a Turnerized Phase Linear,
( formerly known as a Phlame Linear, since it linearly produced flames..)

Ah, but the key word is *linear*......... :-)

Yup, smoke comes out in neat layered linear formations.

For such blessed resurrection, ye may Pass to a solid state of grace.

Be worthy and live in high fidelity, and thou shalt be delivered from
thy hollow state.

Man, could I have been doing something better!

Man, I feel like a woman!

That ploy won't work with me, and your'e so darn ugly....

And then another woman, and then another................ :-)

Are you Bragging or Threatening?

They say a man can do a lot.

But, a woman,

can do a hell of a lot more

damage.

Patrick Turner.

Patrick Turner

wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

[...]

I for one would rather try tolerance and the lighter side than ban somebody
for being off topic.

It don't always work, and there is no solidarity about who should be banned, or

killfiled.
But I have no clue how to killfile anyone with my ancient Netscape 4.7.

But I'd rather see all the girls dancing on the stage, even the ugly fat ones.

And if only I can teach them to have a sense of humour.......

Patrick Turner.

Ruud Broens

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message
:
:
: Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
:
: Man, I feel like a woman!
:
: That ploy won't work with me, and your'e so darn ugly....
:
:
:
: And then another woman, and then another................ :-)
:
: Are you Bragging or Threatening?
:
: They say a man can do a lot.
:
: But, a woman,
:
: can do a hell of a lot more
:
:
:
: damage.
:
: Patrick Turner.
:
Darn! Spilled my tea, laughing :-)
Pinkerton must'ave hit a pretty stern scot malt there, even then..

Re ABSE : no signs of your BJT post atm.
Cheers,
Rudy

Stewart Pinkerton

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 06:43:07 GMT, "Doug Schultz"
wrote:

Have you actually offered anything constructive yet to this group?

Yes, I have pointed out that Andre Jute's assumptions, on which his
KISS design is based, are incorrect. I have supplied better data on
which to base amplifier power requirements. They don't suit flea-power
amps - tough.

all I ever read from your posts is negative and destructive.

Try reading them with an unbiased eye.

I am going to give it another couple of days but very tempted to just
killfile you now.

Fine, why wait?

This is a TUBE newsgroup. We like to work with TUBES.If you have nothing
helpful to add to this group please just go away.

See above. I was only lurking to read the KISS threads, but Andre's
errors needed correction, and then *he* started several attack
threads, so don't lay the blame at *my* door.

If you are willing to take the challenge that has been offered in other
threads in this NG and actually design present something to the group then
lets get on with the discussion.

What 'discussion'? I have presented Andre with errors of fact, he has
personally attecked me in several threads created for that purpose,
but he has *never* refuted my corrections.

I am sure we will all be waiting to see what you do.

I'm sure you won't! :-)

CLC: More John Stewart Vacuum Tubes 12 November 2nd 04 09:47 AM
Problem With Alpine Head Unit/Type E Subs (Part 2) Brian Lamendola Car Audio 3 May 25th 04 04:58 AM