izozaya

Default Help needed on Grommes output transformers

Hi all!

I happen to have a couple of unknown output transformers. The dealer I
got them from told me they were scavenged from a Grommes amplifier,
but couldn't precise whether HiFi or PA.

They are model TO-102, grey in color and weight around 10 pounds each.
I measured them in a primitive way and they seem to have a 2K3
anode-to-anode primary impedance (maybe an EL34 parallel push-pull?).

Does anyone have a clue on these?

Thanks in advance!!!
Ned Carlson

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 01:00:00 +0000, izozaya wrote:

Hi all!

I happen to have a couple of unknown output transformers. The dealer I got
them from told me they were scavenged from a Grommes amplifier, but
couldn't precise whether HiFi or PA.

They are model TO-102, grey in color and weight around 10 pounds each. I
measured them in a primitive way and they seem to have a 2K3
anode-to-anode primary impedance (maybe an EL34 parallel push-pull?).

Does anyone have a clue on these?

Probably the output for a Grommes 100W PA head,
something like this:
http://www.triodeel.com/images/g101a.gif

While they're not good to 20 Hz at 100W, the
bandwidth is pretty decent, altho I don't have
figures, I've fixed the amps before and they
sounded pretty good. Some of them were used in movie
theaters, so the bandwidth had to be at least good enough
for that.

--
Ned Carlson Triode Electronics Chicago,IL USA
www.triodeelectronics.com

izozaya

Thanks Ned!

Yes, they look pretty much like PA OPTs, but will give them a try
anyway in HiFi. Maybe a parallel push-pull with EL37...

Best regards