Paul

Default Review: Beginner's Guide to Tube Audio, Rozenblit

A lot of opinion but some good information

This short book covers construction of tube audio equipment for
beginners. I like to build tube audio-it's definitely more homebrew
friendly than solid state and often sounds better-but I think one
should have a better electronics background before starting these
projects than Rozenblit presupposes. I think absolute beginners should
start with the bookwork first and then build simple projects such as
regenerative receivers with FET's before moving to tubes and then line
powered audio gear.

This is a reasonably good but not really comprehensive book, best
picked up after you can solder, use test equipment-you cannot build or
troubleshoot without a generator and some kind of oscilloscope as well
as an AC voltmeter accurate to .1 dB from 20 Hz to at least 30 or 40
kHz, and people who tell you otherwise are misguided or lying-and
follow schematics pretty well.
Jim Strickland

On 2004-11-10 19:21:32 -0700, (Don) said:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Buy it now, its out of print. I like it much more than Morgan's Valve
Amplifiers, which, to me, oscillates between assuming the reader knows
nothing and the reader has an EE degree. Morgan is also too
perfectionist to my taste.

Antique Electronic Supply lists this and Rozenblit's other book, Audio
Reality for $24.95(US) on 11/10/04.

Audio Reality is even more opinionated than Beginner's Guide, but has
the schematics and how-to for several of his current products,
including his patented phase splitter.

--
-Jim Strickland