Default Newbie home cinema question

I have noticed that when playing TV or DVDs through my stereo that the
people talking can be hard to hear, but music and other sounds are
quite loud. I have tried changing the settings on my stereo receiver,
but nothing really helps. My receiver is a Sony STR-D990 (12 years
old although it has Pro Logic, but not the newer modes). I have 5.1
speakers coming out of it. Would getting a new receiver help the
sound?

Thanks

George M. Middius

G said:

I have noticed that when playing TV or DVDs through my stereo that the
people talking can be hard to hear, but music and other sounds are
quite loud. I have tried changing the settings on my stereo receiver,
but nothing really helps. My receiver is a Sony STR-D990 (12 years
old although it has Pro Logic, but not the newer modes). I have 5.1
speakers coming out of it. Would getting a new receiver help the
sound?

I'd bet your center speaker isn't performing properly. Could be the
connection or the speaker, or even the amp feeding the speaker. Try
a channel test if your receiver has the capability.

Sander deWaal

G said:

I have noticed that when playing TV or DVDs through my stereo that the
people talking can be hard to hear, but music and other sounds are
quite loud. I have tried changing the settings on my stereo receiver,
but nothing really helps. My receiver is a Sony STR-D990 (12 years
old although it has Pro Logic, but not the newer modes). I have 5.1
speakers coming out of it. Would getting a new receiver help the
sound?

Probably, yes.
But check first if your system isn't set to "phantom".

--
Sander deWaal
Vacuum Audio Consultancy

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 15:09:56 -0500, George M. Middius
wrote:

G said:

I have noticed that when playing TV or DVDs through my stereo that the
people talking can be hard to hear, but music and other sounds are
quite loud. I have tried changing the settings on my stereo receiver,
but nothing really helps. My receiver is a Sony STR-D990 (12 years
old although it has Pro Logic, but not the newer modes). I have 5.1
speakers coming out of it. Would getting a new receiver help the
sound?

I'd bet your center speaker isn't performing properly. Could be the
connection or the speaker, or even the amp feeding the speaker. Try
a channel test if your receiver has the capability.

Well the center channel is working. I can here sound coming from it.
I may try to see if I can bump it up through the receiver.

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 22:52:08 +0100, Sander deWaal
wrote:

G said:

I have noticed that when playing TV or DVDs through my stereo that the
people talking can be hard to hear, but music and other sounds are
quite loud. I have tried changing the settings on my stereo receiver,
but nothing really helps. My receiver is a Sony STR-D990 (12 years
old although it has Pro Logic, but not the newer modes). I have 5.1
speakers coming out of it. Would getting a new receiver help the
sound?

Probably, yes.
But check first if your system isn't set to "phantom".

It isn't set to phantom. It is set on normal. I have tried switching
between phantom, normal and wide with varying results.

Kalman Rubinson

wrote:

G said:

I have noticed that when playing TV or DVDs through my stereo that the
people talking can be hard to hear, but music and other sounds are
quite loud. I have tried changing the settings on my stereo receiver,
but nothing really helps. My receiver is a Sony STR-D990 (12 years
old although it has Pro Logic, but not the newer modes). I have 5.1
speakers coming out of it. Would getting a new receiver help the
sound?

Probably, yes.
But check first if your system isn't set to "phantom".

It isn't set to phantom. It is set on normal. I have tried switching
between phantom, normal and wide with varying results.

Reverse the polarity of the connection and see if that cures the
problem.

Kal

Gary A. Edelstein

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:50:59 -0500, G wrote:

I have noticed that when playing TV or DVDs through my stereo that the
people talking can be hard to hear, but music and other sounds are
quite loud. I have tried changing the settings on my stereo receiver,
but nothing really helps. My receiver is a Sony STR-D990 (12 years
old although it has Pro Logic, but not the newer modes). I have 5.1
speakers coming out of it. Would getting a new receiver help the
sound?

Have you tried the test tones to see if all the speakers are volume
balanced? It may be as simple as turning up the dialog (center)
channel.

Gary E

|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo