Henry007

Default ECF86 / 6GH8 as driver for SET?

I have a few NOS ECF86 around, thinking of using them for a gain/driver
stage for a SET. Apparently the triode part is kind of like a 12AU7. I would
be using it as a pentode input, triode driver if that was the case. I have
limited info, some from
http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...01/e/ECF86.gif

Tube was apparently designed as a VHF frequency changer. Anyone used this
one? Is it fairly linear?

Any help much appreciated.
~h~

Mark Harriss

Henry007 wrote:

I have a few NOS ECF86 around, thinking of using them for a gain/driver
stage for a SET. Apparently the triode part is kind of like a 12AU7. I
would be using it as a pentode input, triode driver if that was the case.
I have limited info, some from
http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...01/e/ECF86.gif

Tube was apparently designed as a VHF frequency changer. Anyone used this
one? Is it fairly linear?

Any help much appreciated.
~h~

A 6U8 which is similar but not identical is used in the Radford MA
and STA series amps as a phase splitter with the pentode connected to one
output valve, an EL34 and the triode connected to the other EL34. That amp
is rated at 0.1% distortion from 25Hz to 20KHz. Other similar types are
6EA8, 6KD8, 6GJ8, 6LM8, 6CQ8.

Regards
Mark Harriss
Tim Williams

I'm using either a 6GH8A or 6U8A (close enough) in Frankenhouse. Not a SET
but it still sounds good.

For your perusal, a link:
http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/I...ankenhouse.gif

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

"Henry007" wrote in message
I have a few NOS ECF86 around, thinking of using them for a gain/driver
stage for a SET. Apparently the triode part is kind of like a 12AU7. I

would
be using it as a pentode input, triode driver if that was the case. I have
limited info, some from
http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...01/e/ECF86.gif

Tube was apparently designed as a VHF frequency changer. Anyone used this
one? Is it fairly linear?

Any help much appreciated.
~h~

Ronald

"Tim Williams" schreef in bericht
I'm using either a 6GH8A or 6U8A (close enough) in Frankenhouse. Not a

SET
but it still sounds good.

For your perusal, a link:
http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/I...ankenhouse.gif

Tim

Big difference is that the ECF86 has a common cathode !!
But the ECF86 night be a good tube for a "para-phase" splitter .

Ronald .

--

"Henry007" wrote in message
I have a few NOS ECF86 around, thinking of using them for a gain/driver
stage for a SET. Apparently the triode part is kind of like a 12AU7. I

would
be using it as a pentode input, triode driver if that was the case. I

have
limited info, some from
http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...01/e/ECF86.gif

Tube was apparently designed as a VHF frequency changer. Anyone used

this
one? Is it fairly linear?

Any help much appreciated.
~h~

Tim Williams

"Ronald" wrote in message
Big difference is that the ECF86 has a common cathode !!
But the ECF86 night be a good tube for a "para-phase" splitter .

Then something's wrong, 'cuz GH8 has two cathodes.

6X8?

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

Bob Hedberg

A small caution:

I have a bag of used 6gh8's, and when I decided to get rid of some of
them, I found that at least 60 % of them had excessive heater-cathode
leakage. I don't know if it's the tube, or that they tended to be
used right at their h-k ratings, and developed leakage over time.

Bob H.

"Henry007" wrote:

I have a few NOS ECF86 around, thinking of using them for a gain/driver
stage for a SET. Apparently the triode part is kind of like a 12AU7. I would
be using it as a pentode input, triode driver if that was the case. I have
limited info, some from
http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...01/e/ECF86.gif

Tube was apparently designed as a VHF frequency changer. Anyone used this
one? Is it fairly linear?

Any help much appreciated.
~h~

Bob H.

Just grab that plate in one hand, the chassis in the other,
and FEEL the power of tube audio!!!
(not literally, of course, just kidding. DON'T DO THAT!)