TubeGarden

Default Are vacuum tube kitchen radios too good for us mortals?

Hi RATs!

I have a collection of olde table radios. OK, they may have been kitchen
counter radios at one time

Simply attaching an external antenna and a Mission bookshelf speaker delivers
fine sound.

Beauty is in the ear of the beholder

Happy Ears!
Al

Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead

Max Holubitsky

I've tried this... not with missions, but with other hi-fi speakers, and it
sounds horrible... the high output impedance of the little 50C5 does not quite
cut it with a modern speaker, and there's really no business even having a
tweeter when frequency response rolls off to nothing at 5KHz. Add to this the
fact that most hi-fi speakers are so insensitive that the poor little 50C5
with its walnut sized output transformer is driven straight into distortion on
anything resembling a peak, or a bass note. Also, any speaker with any real
response at 60Hz will quickly uncover the fact that a half wave power supply
with a 50uF electrolytic is no substitute for a hi-fi amp's power supply.

I've tried this on several sets, and have always been really dissapointed by
the results. All of the sets I've tried it with have sounded far better with
their original speakers, which were designed to work with a high output
impedance low power pentode amplifier. I have one Zenith AM/FM set which
always amazes me with its little 35C5 and 4x6 oval speaker.

The

John Walton wrote:

I think that you'll find that the a.m. tuner section on these old tube
radios much better than the garden variety Chinese brand.

"TubeGarden" wrote in message
Hi RATs!

I have a collection of olde table radios. OK, they may have been kitchen
counter radios at one time

Simply attaching an external antenna and a Mission bookshelf speaker

delivers
fine sound.

Beauty is in the ear of the beholder

Happy Ears!
Al

Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead

Patrick Turner

John Walton wrote:

I think that you'll find that the a.m. tuner section on these old tube
radios much better than the garden variety Chinese brand.

It all depends on the design.
There are good and bad in tubed tuners.

Patrick Turner.