KSM

Default ? New GZ34/5AR4 Tubes - which makes are the most reliable???

Which of the new production GZ34/5AR4 rectifiers are the most reliable?????
JJ, Sovtek or Chinese? Please respond to the group.

Thanks!
Kelly

Dan Nicotera

If you can't afford a NOS mullard then go for a used one...I wouldn't even
try any others.
You can get a used one for about $30 and they will last forever..Dan
"KSM" wrote in message
link.net...
Which of the new production GZ34/5AR4 rectifiers are the most

reliable?????
JJ, Sovtek or Chinese? Please respond to the group.

Thanks!
Kelly

Jim McShane

"Dan Nicotera" wrote...

If you can't afford a NOS mullard then go for a
used one...I wouldn't even try any others.

Well, you'd be missing out then. I have had
zero failures of the late production Chinese, and
two Sovtek tubes that arced. That's it.

You can get a used one for about $30 and they
will last forever

I'll buy every good strong used Mullard you can
find for $30.00. They are more like $50 or $60
now.

Mullards are fine, fine tubes. But not everyone
can afford them (even used), and even if they
could there aren't enough to go around.

The new production stuff is fine, it appears you
haven't tried it yet.

Jim McShane
Need Tubes? Got a H-K Citation (Pre) Amp?
Check http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane
Repro knobs for Citation gear in stock!

Jon Yaeger

I had a couple of Chinese tubes arc out on me and returned them. Others I
have used with no problem.

I recently acquired a pair of Amperex Metal Based GZ34s (ca. 1957) . . . .
some people claim these are even better than Mullards. With what I've seem
them go for on the net, I'm afraid to take them out of the caddy . . .

From: "Jim McShane"
Newsgroups: alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.tubes
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 04:11:52 GMT

"Dan Nicotera" wrote...

If you can't afford a NOS mullard then go for a
used one...I wouldn't even try any others.

Well, you'd be missing out then. I have had
zero failures of the late production Chinese, and
two Sovtek tubes that arced. That's it.

You can get a used one for about $30 and they
will last forever

I'll buy every good strong used Mullard you can
find for $30.00. They are more like $50 or $60
now.

Mullards are fine, fine tubes. But not everyone
can afford them (even used), and even if they
could there aren't enough to go around.

The new production stuff is fine, it appears you
haven't tried it yet.

Jim McShane
Need Tubes? Got a H-K Citation (Pre) Amp?
Check http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane
Repro knobs for Citation gear in stock!

Jon Yaeger

You're right, this has been on post fairly recently. But IMHO it's much
better to rehash this topic than to read another spate of stale
Jute/Allison/Turner barbs!

From: "Miles O'Neal"
Newsgroups: alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.tubes
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 23:00:04 -0600

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 02:32:56 +0000, KSM wrote:

Which of the new production GZ34/5AR4 rectifiers are the most
reliable????? JJ, Sovtek or Chinese? Please respond to the group.

I could have sworn we just had this
discussion. Try groups.google.com .
If not there, it was on the AX84
discussion board: http://ax84.com/bbs/ .

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Jon Yaeger wrote:

I recently acquired a pair of Amperex Metal Based GZ34s (ca. 1957) . . . .
some people claim these are even better than Mullards.

They probably are Mullards :-)

As far as I know all the Amperex GZ34s were either made by Mullard or
made in other Philips factories. You can look at the codes on the tubes
to find out where they were made.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen
KSM

The only feedback I am seeing is on current Chinese tubes and Sovtek. What
about the JJ tube? I use and really like their E34L and EL84/6BQ5 tubes.

"RoccaforteAmps" wrote in message
I have great luck with both the Chinese, and Sovteck
5AR4. I use the Sov. mostly because it has heavy'er glass.

Fearless Freep

For USED ones? Wow. I might have to think about selling some of my NOS
stash. I do have more than I'll ever live to use. What do new ones bring?

Freep

"Jim McShane" wrote in message
m...
"Dan Nicotera" wrote...

If you can't afford a NOS mullard then go for a
used one...I wouldn't even try any others.

Well, you'd be missing out then. I have had
zero failures of the late production Chinese, and
two Sovtek tubes that arced. That's it.

You can get a used one for about $30 and they
will last forever

I'll buy every good strong used Mullard you can
find for $30.00. They are more like $50 or $60
now.

Mullards are fine, fine tubes. But not everyone
can afford them (even used), and even if they
could there aren't enough to go around.

The new production stuff is fine, it appears you
haven't tried it yet.

Jim McShane
Need Tubes? Got a H-K Citation (Pre) Amp?
Check http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane
Repro knobs for Citation gear in stock!

Lots Of Great Tubes For Sale Jim McShane Marketplace 0 April 14th 04 02:22 PM
Lots Of Great Tubes For Sale Jim McShane Marketplace 0 April 14th 04 02:22 PM
FS: TUBES Eugene Rippen Marketplace 0 February 13th 04 03:06 AM
F.A. RCA 6L6/5881 power output tubes (matched) S. White Vacuum Tubes 0 November 10th 03 05:02 AM
which tubes to use for target practice? arizona cowboy Vacuum Tubes 20 October 27th 03 08:09 PM