west

Default Cap Rating

Quick Question: Does the working voltage of caps in parallel change? For
instance, (2) 100wvdc capacitors in parallel =?wvdc? I know that the voltage
rating would double if I wired the 2 caps in series. Thanks.
Cordially,
west

Jon Yaeger

No, they are not additive. In parallel use the lowest of the two voltages
for safety sake.

Patrick Turner

west wrote:

Quick Question: Does the working voltage of caps in parallel change? For
instance, (2) 100wvdc capacitors in parallel =?wvdc? I know that the voltage
rating would double if I wired the 2 caps in series. Thanks.
Cordially,
west

The cap rating remains the same when parallel connecting,
but the cap value rises, and also its current ability.

And also the same when series connecting, for the same individual cap.
The voltage rating for seriesed caps increases,
and C value reduces, and the ripple current ability.
Resistive dividers should be placed across seriesed caps to equalise the
direct voltages across each cap.

Patrick Turner.

Scott Gardner

Resistors in series are additive, so a 10-ohm resistor in series with
another 10-ohm resistor would result in an overall 20-ohm resistance.
The power rating of the resistor wouldn't change. If it can dissipate
5 Watts when used alone, it will still only be able to dissipate 5
Watts when used in series with another resistor. Now, if you had a
20-ohm resistor that needed to dissapate 10W, but could only handle
5W, you could replace it with two 10-ohm/5W resistors in series. Each
resistor would only see half the voltage drop of the original 20-ohm
resistor, so would only have to dissipate half the power.

Scott Gardner

west wrote:

Quick Question: Does the working voltage of caps in parallel change? For
instance, (2) 100wvdc capacitors in parallel =?wvdc? I know that the

voltage
rating would double if I wired the 2 caps in series. Thanks.
Cordially,
west

The cap rating remains the same when parallel connecting,
but the cap value rises, and also its current ability.

And also the same when series connecting, for the same individual cap.
The voltage rating for seriesed caps increases,
and C value reduces, and the ripple current ability.
Resistive dividers should be placed across seriesed caps to equalise the
direct voltages across each cap.

Patrick Turner.

Kim Johan Andersson

west wrote:

Do you know how to calculate the values (r & wattage) of the series
resistors? Thank you.
Cordially,
west

The Evox Rifa "Electrolytic Capacitor Application Guide" contains some useful
information, including a valve amplifier application
I will post the application note in ABSE.

Regards,
Kim Johan Andersson

Patrick Turner

west wrote:

Do you know how to calculate the values (r & wattage) of the series
resistors? Thank you.
Cordially,
west

I use 150k x 1 watt to place across a cap with 250v,
so about 2mA of current flow should mean Pd of the R is 0.5 watts.

Patrick Turner.

west wrote:

Quick Question: Does the working voltage of caps in parallel change? For
instance, (2) 100wvdc capacitors in parallel =?wvdc? I know that the

voltage
rating would double if I wired the 2 caps in series. Thanks.
Cordially,
west

The cap rating remains the same when parallel connecting,
but the cap value rises, and also its current ability.

And also the same when series connecting, for the same individual cap.
The voltage rating for seriesed caps increases,
and C value reduces, and the ripple current ability.
Resistive dividers should be placed across seriesed caps to equalise the
direct voltages across each cap.

Patrick Turner.

FM sensitivity rating ? islandjeepman Car Audio 1 March 1st 04 10:47 PM
speaker ohms rating? iz0nlee Tech 15 January 3rd 04 01:43 PM
what sub power rating for a 300W amp Johan Wagener Car Audio 0 November 9th 03 01:55 PM
power rating of old amp? Vadim Batitsky High End Audio 3 October 25th 03 04:28 PM
power rating of Pioneer SA-500A? Vadim Batitsky Pro Audio 1 October 23rd 03 07:44 AM