virtualviva

Default pricing my home audio/video system

Hi to all,

I'm trying to figure a reasonable selling price for my home audio/video
system. I'm planning to sell it and buy new components, but am having a
hard time researching a current market value for some of these items.
I'm not expecting much, but want to make sure I don't cheat myself or
prospective buyers.
Here's a list of the components in the setup:

- JVC HR-S3900 Super VHS
- JVC XL-FZ2258BK - 5 Disc CD Changer
- JVC RX-6000VBK - Dolby Pro Logic/DTS Digital Receiver
- JVC XV-511BK - DVD Player
- JVC AV-32D201 - 32" Digital Ready CRT Television
- JBL Simply Cinema Home Theater System
- JBL Northbridge Series Bookshelf Speakers
- Two Sanus Systems speaker stands

All items are in excellent condition. They have been well cared for and
I have all original boxes, packaging, manuals and remotes. Any ideas
what to charge individually or for the whole setup? Any information you
can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

mercutio

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 21:09:28 -0800, virtualviva wrote:

[...]

A general rule of thumb is that used equipment is rarely worth more than
half the cost new of the =current= equivalent model. (It doesn't really
matter what =you= paid new. For example, you paid $1,000 five years ago
for a Widget X100. The current equivalent model, the Widget X102b, sells
for $600 new. I wouldn't expect much more than $300 used for your unit.

On one end, this rule falls short when the equipment is hopelessly
outdated technology, is much more than ten years old or so, or is in poor
condition or due for a big service.

On the other end, some items have a cult following. Old audio tube
equipment, especially in good condition, is quite valuable these days and
often sells for many times the original price.

A quick look at auction closing prices on eBay will give you a good idea
of what you can expect for your equipment.

virtualviva

mercutio wrote:
[...]

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

120,000+ Newsgroups

=----

Thank you for your help! I did check out eBay closed items, but very
few of the items were exactly the same model as the ones I'm trying to
sell or had never been offered for sale at all. Your rule of thumb is
exactly what I needed for a starting point. Thanks again for your post.