Matt Beckwith

Default Poor Reception with XM Radio

I just bought an XM radio -- the Roady -- with a cassette connector to
my car's audio system. I thought XM radio was supposed to have good
reception. Every 20 to 30 seconds or so it cuts out, with static.

There is an antenna that's plugged into the unit. The antenna looks
like a little computer mouse. Is this antenna supposed to be
positioned somewhere on the car? Because I just left it sitting on
the console.
Jim P.

The antenna needs a clear view of the sky. They are usually mounted on the
roof. An installer I met through this newsgroup said he's had success
mounting the antenna on the rear package shelf in sedans and coupes. I
tried that when I installed my Sirius tuner and it worked very well.
Eventually I moved it to the roof per the installation instructions. There
was a slight improvement there. I assume the antenna you have is a magnetic
mount. Just try running the antenna wire through a window and sticking the
"mouse" on the roof. If your reception doesn't improve there's probably
some other problem.
Good luck!

om...