Kevin Murray

Default Subwoofer for 124 body Mercedes (picture)

Are you saying that you can resolve the origin of wavelengths below 50Hz?
Furthermore, not everyone can afford a Mercedes where the trunk is acoustically
isolated from the interior of the car. Most cars owned by contributors to this
NG pass bass notes into the passenger cabin quite easily.

For the money you paid for your subwoofer installation I could pay for my entire
system all over again. Passengers in my car remark that the bass "makes their
hair move". If you can't sit in the car then what good is your stupendous
output?

Kevin Murray
"FM modulators rule"
"Gettin' the hang of this NG posting stuff"

"Peter Klein" wrote in message
If you really believe that firing a pair of subwoofers toward the rear of
your car's trunk will give you deep, tight, bass INSIDE your car, then you
must be sitting in the car following you. Most car stereo stores push sealed
boxes when a cutomer buys two woofers. The sealed boxes are the most
profitable and the easiest for the salesperson to sell. If one contacts the
maker (supplier) of the brand woofer, they are willing to share the
information about different style enclosures for their product. For my 124,
I wanted the bass to be delivered into the interior of the car and I didn't
want to give up the entire trunk. Because Mercedes has spent huge
engineering dollars keeping outside noise outside, I was interested when the
box builder suggested a bandpass enclosure with a partially external, square
(so it won't whistle like round ports) port which would exit from the top of
the box. Because the 124 trunk has funky shaped sides, and the height is
fixed, the variable measurement was the front to rear depth. That shape
would put the port directly below the "first aid kit cover". When measuring,
we noticed the gas filler pipe would prevent the box from being pushed back
all the way so the rear, top corner of the box was deleted. A single
Cerwin-Vega! 12" Accurate Image Subwoofer was chosen per their box design
specs. This woofer's voice coil was designed by the same German design house
who later did JL's component speakers. After the box was built, it was
upholstered in black carpet to match the floor I had put in the trunk. The
bass is driven by an Earthquake 200X amp which provides 300wrms @ 4 ohms
mono. At full attenuation the bass is so huge, the windows flex and nobody
can talk! I keep it turned down to a hi fidelity level. The picture shows
the sub spanning the width of the trunk, and the "bin cover" part of the
floor on a continuous hinge from Home Depot. P.

Peter Klein

A 124 Mercedes is about 17 years old and can be bought almost anywhere for
$6-8,000. While speaking with a Sony rep he explained that the FM modulator
was a big money maker for dealers because they could add a changer to any
car that had a radio. He didn't dispute the fact that such a hookup would
produce sound quality the same as FM radio. Compact disc, while it lasts, is
much clearer, through an amplifier, and most enthusiasts know it. P.

"Kevin Murray" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
[...]

Kevin Murray

I wouldn't argue that direct coupling the CD output to the amplifier is better
than going through a coupling/adapter device. However, it often happens that due
to certain constraints (budget being a big one) an FM modulator is the most
elegant solution. Provided the modulator performance is good, the sound quality
is limited by the tuner section of the receiver. For most people the difference
in sound quality goes unnoticed, therefore the higher cost of a new aftermarket
receiver makes little sense to them. Not everyone is on a quest for sonic
perfection. In fact I'd say that few people truly are.