Nuclear

Default Glass resistors?

Picked up a B&K 707 tube tester last weekend and a lot of the
resistors have strayed, so i plan to replace them. After looking in
the parts list they have them listed as "glass" resistors.....huh? I
may have only been messing with tube equipment for about 3
years now, but i have never heard of these. I'm presuming they
would be modern metal oxide? The wattage ranges from 3 to 7.

Thanks for any help, -Steve-
Phil Allison

"Nuclear" wrote in message

Picked up a B&K 707 tube tester last weekend and a lot of the
resistors have strayed, so i plan to replace them. After looking in
the parts list they have them listed as "glass" resistors.....huh? I
may have only been messing with tube equipment for about 3
years now, but i have never heard of these. I'm presuming they
would be modern metal oxide? The wattage ranges from 3 to 7.

** Hmmmm, could be a reference to "Cermet" or "Metal Glaze" resistors.

These are a mixture of ceramic ( glass ?) and metal particles which are
then "glazed" to make a resistive coating on a ceramic tube - which is then
automatically spiral cut to create the desired resistance value.

Usually specified where high power/temp ratings are needed and factors
like excess noise voltage are of no importance.

............ Phil

Nuclear

Yeah i was thinking a wirewound would be ok too. It's just the fact
there are some common wirewounds in there already besides these odd
looking green resistors. No color code, but the values are printed on
there, and they're as big as a wirewound. -Steve-

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:31:29 +0100, "Ronald"
wrote:

Hi Steve ,

I think glass was used in that days to make a non-inductive R
that can handle some power . I would try just any R to replace
it . It's "just" a tester .... Might be a wire wound will do ....

Ronald .

"Nuclear" schreef in bericht
.. .

Picked up a B&K 707 tube tester last weekend and a lot of the
resistors have strayed, so i plan to replace them. After looking in
the parts list they have them listed as "glass" resistors.....huh? I
may have only been messing with tube equipment for about 3
years now, but i have never heard of these. I'm presuming they
would be modern metal oxide? The wattage ranges from 3 to 7.

Thanks for any help, -Steve-

Mark Harriss

Nuclear wrote:

Picked up a B&K 707 tube tester last weekend and a lot of the
resistors have strayed, so i plan to replace them. After looking in
the parts list they have them listed as "glass" resistors.....huh? I
may have only been messing with tube equipment for about 3
years now, but i have never heard of these. I'm presuming they
would be modern metal oxide? The wattage ranges from 3 to 7.

Thanks for any help, -Steve-

They have a very specific use, although I forget what for.
I think they were mentioned on www.fusor.net in the discussion group
for use with photomultipliers and were of a very high value. They are
fairly expensive I understand.

Thompson Family

"Mark Harriss" wrote in message
Nuclear wrote:

Picked up a B&K 707 tube tester last weekend and a lot of the
resistors have strayed, so i plan to replace them. After looking in
the parts list they have them listed as "glass" resistors.....huh? I
may have only been messing with tube equipment for about 3
years now, but i have never heard of these. I'm presuming they
would be modern metal oxide? The wattage ranges from 3 to 7.

Thanks for any help, -Steve-

They have a very specific use, although I forget what for.
I think they were mentioned on www.fusor.net in the discussion group
for use with photomultipliers and were of a very high value. They are
fairly expensive I understand.

I have a bk 707 and the original book and schematic for it. I looked on the
parts list and the 150 ohm is a 4 watt 5% and the
18k is a 4 watt 10% and all others are 7 watt 5%

Mark Harriss

Thompson Family wrote:

I have a bk 707 and the original book and schematic for it. I looked on
the parts list and the 150 ohm is a 4 watt 5% and the
18k is a 4 watt 10% and all others are 7 watt 5%

Oops! I didn't read the original posting too closely.
Aren't glass resistors a very high stability resistor?.

Mark Harriss
John Stewart

Nuclear wrote:

Picked up a B&K 707 tube tester last weekend and a lot of the
resistors have strayed, so i plan to replace them. After looking in
the parts list they have them listed as "glass" resistors.....huh? I
may have only been messing with tube equipment for about 3
years now, but i have never heard of these. I'm presuming they
would be modern metal oxide? The wattage ranges from 3 to 7.

Thanks for any help, -Steve-

Victoreen was a manufacturer of glass resistors but seems to me
they were for high resistance applications. I recall them as a source
for those kinds of parts 40 years ago. We used the with
photomultipliers & electrometers.

Looked at Victoreen on Google. No mention of resistors on their
site now. Not sure what they would be doing in a tube tester.
JLS

A.Cirella

Victoreen was a manufacturer of glass resistors but seems to me
they were for high resistance applications. I recall them as a source
for those kinds of parts 40 years ago. We used the with
photomultipliers & electrometers.

Looked at Victoreen on Google. No mention of resistors on their
site now. Not sure what they would be doing in a tube tester.
JLS

I do believe Corning also made them years ago, before they
got swallowed up by Vishay.

A.Cirella, Handmade
www.hndme.com