Max Holubitsky

Default Speaker placement in ranch house??

Hi,

I recently took the plunge, and I am moving from a cluttered downtown
apartment into an early 60s ranch style house... anyone who lives in
North America should be familiar with the layout of a ranch house -
L-shaped living / dining room, 3 bedrooms, etc. One feature mine has,
which they don't all have, is a fireplace on the wall that divides the
entrance from the living room. This wall is not useable for speakers.

I am trying to think of the best way to set up my living room, with
speaker placement taken into consideration... I have Tannoy Saturn S6's,

and I could use trial and error, but why re-invent the wheel - there's
literally millions of similar houses, and I'm sure someone has figured
out an optimal layout.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice, please forward them to me...
the only other furniture that will be in the room for sure, at this
point, is a couch, and a love seat.

Any shared experiences or advice is appreciated

thanks

Max

P.S. The speakers will be driven exclusively by tube amplifiers, so it's
a somewhat on-topic question.

Max Holubitsky

I have yet to try them in the living room - haven't taken posession of the house
yet. If it's really impossible to get good placement in the living room, I'll put
some bookshelf speakers up there, connect them to a small solid state setup, and
put the good stereo in the basement. There's a huge room down there which looks a
lot more friendly to setting up a stereo.

TubeGarden wrote:

Hi RATs!

Just put them where they look best. Your next house will have better acoustics

Happy Ears!
Al

Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead

Robert Casey

Max Holubitsky wrote:

I am trying to think of the best way to set up my living room, with
speaker placement taken into consideration... I have Tannoy Saturn S6's,

Once you figure out where the couch goes, you could place the speakers
to the left front
and right front on the other side of the room. Now, if that other side
happens to be the
part with the L shaped extension, move the couch and put the speakers in
the corners of the
straight part of the room.

All Ears

You could try to make a diagonal setup, using the room as symmetrical as
possible. I'm doing this with good success and it also solves a lot of
problems with standing waves etc.

Regards,

Karsten

"Max Holubitsky" wrote in message
[...]

Bose 901 Review William Sommerwerck General 149 January 8th 05 04:49 PM
The Art of Bose Bashing and Amar's Supposed Descent into Mediocrity Robby Marketplace 0 August 22nd 04 07:13 AM
Speaker placement - need help macglade General 1 October 18th 03 04:51 PM
Speaker cables Nousaine Pro Audio 1 July 25th 03 11:46 AM
Enclosure Size & Speaker Placement of Mid Range Sam Carleton Car Audio 0 July 15th 03 03:34 AM