west

Default Cryo treated tubes?

I mentioned this a few weeks ago that many were raving about the merits of
sending their tubes to be dipped in liquid nitrogen. Virtually everyone who
had it done sung its praises. This NG mostly scoffed at the idea. I have no
opinion on it.
Cordially,
west

"Patrick" wrote in message
e...
I just browsed Audiogon.
The tubes section mentions "cryo treated" tubes
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc....05102&auc&3&4&

Never heard of this, what is it good for?

Patrick

arizona cowboy

I mentioned this a few weeks ago that many were raving about the merits of
sending their tubes to be dipped in liquid nitrogen. Virtually everyone

who
had it done sung its praises. This NG mostly scoffed at the idea. I have

no
opinion on it.
Cordially,
west

I think we need some double blind testing, as there is some physics behind
why this should work. I was one who scoffed also, but on second thought, a
lot of the pure engineer types also scoff at the thought of how a tube could
possibly sound better than a solid state device (which looks much better on
paper)

maybe the cryo boys are ahead of the curve on this?

azcowboy

All Ears

"Patrick" wrote in message
e...
I just browsed Audiogon.
The tubes section mentions "cryo treated" tubes
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc....05102&auc&3&4&

Never heard of this, what is it good for?

Patrick

I have no personal experiences with these tubes, but people who's opinion I
trust, like Dave Belles, has praised these tubes, so there could be some
positive effect.
I guess it does effect the metal in the tubes somehow, probably also
something that could be measured. Of course this cryo treatment should be
taken with some scepticism, like when cryo treated mains soccets etc. are
marketed like new miracles in audio.

Karsten

Greg Pierce

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:16:16 +0100, the highly esteemed Patrick
enlightened us with these pearls of wisdom:

I just browsed Audiogon.
The tubes section mentions "cryo treated" tubes
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc....05102&auc&3&4&

Never heard of this, what is it good for?

Well, they make your wallet thinner and easier to carry...

--
Greg

--The software said it requires Win2000 or better, so I installed Linux.

BH

Patrick wrote:

I just browsed Audiogon.
The tubes section mentions "cryo treated" tubes
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc....05102&auc&3&4&

Never heard of this, what is it good for?

Patrick

To seperate the audiophool from his money.

Bob Hedberg

Great Idea.

Send me those cryo-treated 45's, and another set not treated, and I'll
conduct some single, double, triple ..... blind testing. It should
take me about 5 years or so. I'll post my results. Yeah, that's
it....!!

How about some Lowthers to go with them? Tamura or Electra-Print
iron?

It'll be fun.......honest.

Bob Hedberg

"arizona cowboy" cacheoverflowATyahoo.com wrote:

I mentioned this a few weeks ago that many were raving about the merits of
sending their tubes to be dipped in liquid nitrogen. Virtually everyone

who
had it done sung its praises. This NG mostly scoffed at the idea. I have

no
opinion on it.
Cordially,
west

I think we need some double blind testing, as there is some physics behind
why this should work. I was one who scoffed also, but on second thought, a
lot of the pure engineer types also scoff at the thought of how a tube could
possibly sound better than a solid state device (which looks much better on
paper)

maybe the cryo boys are ahead of the curve on this?

azcowboy

Bob H.

Just grab that plate in one hand, the chassis in the other,
and FEEL the power of tube audio!!!
(not literally, of course, just kidding. DON'T DO THAT!)