arizona cowboy

Default which tubes to use for target practice?

I am sure this has been asked a million times, so I will ask it again
anyway, since I don't find the answer on google groups search.

I just found and estate of about 20,000 tubes, some are obviously good for
hi-fi, guitar, jukebox, etc.

but I am sure MANY have only some obscure old TV use and are totally good
for NOTHING these days to ANYONE!

which tubes can I safely chunk or use for target practice or fishin'
bobbers? I cannot possible keep all of these tubes, they are crowding me
out of my home!

(what worries me is that some previously uninteresting tubes become
interesting when a related tube becomes near extinct, an example is the
6CZ5, which wasn't much use to many folks until the jukebox guys bought up
all the 6973's and now the lowly 6CZ5 now as a new lease on life as it is a
plug compatible near equal substitute with a watt or two less output) I
recently obtained a guitar amp that called for the 6973 and I am sure glad I
had the 6CZ5's, because the 6973's cost a fortune, and I willing to give up
one watt to save $200 on 4 tubes!

the moral is, I am glad I did not chunk any 6CZ5's, so my question is, which
tubes are NEVER going to have a second heyday and can be safely discarded?

your opinions on this are appreciated,

cowboy
PS - no wisecracks about you will safety dispose of my ECC803S's for me etc.

Gregg

Behold, arizona cowboy signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

PS - no wisecracks about you will safety dispose of my ECC803S's for me
etc.

OK, I won't make a wisecrack, but what do you think is a fair price for
your "junk"?

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Fred Nachbaur

arizona cowboy wrote:
I am sure this has been asked a million times, so I will ask it again
anyway, since I don't find the answer on google groups search.

I just found and estate of about 20,000 tubes, some are obviously good for
hi-fi, guitar, jukebox, etc.

but I am sure MANY have only some obscure old TV use and are totally good
for NOTHING these days to ANYONE!

which tubes can I safely chunk or use for target practice or fishin'
bobbers? I cannot possible keep all of these tubes, they are crowding me
out of my home!
[...]

I think it's safe to dump all the 1B3, 1G3, and similar HV rectifiers.
It's unlikely that they'll have a heyday, but even there I may be
mistaken. Yes, you could make a poor-man's x-ray machine out of them.
But how often does that need arise? I think it's safe to say, they'd
make fine fishing bobbers.

Just about everything else is useful for *something*. As tubes get
scarcer and scarcer, people will discover new uses for those "useless TV
tubes." For example: 6JW8 makes a fantastic guitar amp input stage (I
like it even better than 7199). 6AV5's make nice output tubes, giving
good power at moderate B+. 6CB6's make great constant-current sources
for long-tail pairs. 6AU6's in triode mode are fantastic preamps.
Vertical-circuit dissimilar triodes (13EM7 et al) make great one-tube
"mini amp" projects. Horizontal sweeps - hard to find tougher power
tubes. Compactrons - some of them are simply amazing. The list goes on
and on....

If you must get rid of them, don't just dump 'em. Give 'em away so
someone else can take a turn at hoarding them for awhile. Maybe they'll
never be useful to anyone -- but maybe they will.

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Mark Harriss

Fred Nachbaur wrote:

I think it's safe to dump all the 1B3, 1G3, and similar HV rectifiers.
It's unlikely that they'll have a heyday, but even there I may be
mistaken. Yes, you could make a poor-man's x-ray machine out of them.
But how often does that need arise? I think it's safe to say, they'd
make fine fishing bobbers.

Cheers,
Fred

The guys on www.fusor.net would want HV rectifiers and have a
for sale section on the website.

Regards
Mark Harriss

:-: Ghost Chip :-:

"Fred Nachbaur" wrote in message

arizona cowboy wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't those HV rectifiers make great insect zappers?
Come to think of it, you could use the door-knob capacitors as well.
What with west nile virus and the equine encephilomyelyetis sic
about.
Ghost
--
"The difference between fiction and reality
is that fiction must make sense."

Syl

"arizona cowboy" a écrit dans le message

your opinions on this are appreciated,

cowboy
PS - no wisecracks about you will safety dispose of my ECC803S's for me

etc.

Keep those you think have a value to you and offer the rest for cost
of shipping if you are about to trash them. Obscure tubes can find
a new life in obscure hands. Better that than trash _any_ tube.
You're a toob guy, you should know that ? ;o)

Syl

Mike

6U7s have gotta be on that list somewhere - for some reason (possibly
related to a wartime tranciever the ZC1) NZ is awash with 6U7s. We
mostly missed out on the1B3s due to late entry into the TV era (but we
got plenty of DY87s & similar. Being small , 6AL5s should present a
challenge at a few hundred yards as well.
Sculpture & lampholders also spring to mind.

Sebastian

[...]

Hello, Fred, Hullo, FellowRATS(TM)!

Well, I do have some of those PD500 / PD510 / ED500 / ED510 ballast
triodes (kind of 6BK4) they used in old CTV-sets as a regulator for
EHT. Maybe they can serve as an output stage for static speakers, who
knows?

And those 6SA7 GT's? I've got a real lot of those, all NOS, and in
various boxes from vaious mfrs. Never thought of them as targets for
practice or throwing them away, more like building s/th useful with
those. AFAIK they are remote cutoff, so for AF the least is to have
NFB built-in in the circuit. And don't they have lots of grids? Or
maybe build an AM Tx. for home use.... maybe...

kind regards

Sebastian

Jon Yaeger

I had a Wollensak Tape recorder that used 6T9s in the output. One guitar
amp (can't remember which) used a triple triode for the preamp section. The
former sounded a bit mediocre.

I'm in the process of designing a headphone amp around the 6T9 and I'll let
you know how it sounds. I'd be surprised if I could tell the difference
between a Compactron and discrete tubes.

- Jon

From: Bob Hedberg
Newsgroups: rec.audio.tubes
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 00:11:44 -0400
Subject: which tubes to use for target practice?

Fred Nachbaur wrote:
What is the deal with compactrons, anyway?

Has anyone seriously tested them for audio?

Especially the triple triodes.

Bob H.

Compactrons - some of them are simply amazing.

Cheers,
Fred

Bob H.

Just grab that plate in one hand, the chassis in the other,
and FEEL the power of tube audio!!!
(not literally, of course, just kidding. DON'T DO THAT!)

Fred Nachbaur

Terry wrote:
I check the price listed at www.tubesandmore.com (AES) if its $2 or
less for a new one then I know its basically worthless, if it's in the
sale flyer it is good for trash or someone elses junk pile...

Terry
www.mcintoshaudio.com

That can change quite rapidly. The 13EM7 was on AES's bargain page at a
really low price - around $2.50 IIRC - until I came out with my two
"miniblok" projects that use these. The price is now at $6.10.

Coincidence? I think not. It all has to do with supply and demand. When
new demand is created, the existing supply becomes more valuable.

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Anumber1

"Terry" wrote in message
I check the price listed at www.tubesandmore.com (AES) if its $2 or
less for a new one then I know its basically worthless, if it's in the
sale flyer it is good for trash or someone elses junk pile...

Terry
www.mcintoshaudio.com

I dont know...
I picked up a couple of dozen 7058's out of the sales flyer for 1 buck each.
A 7058 is a 12ax7 with a 14v heater for mobile apps. RCA brand no less...

--
Alan Gallacher
Born to Tinker!

arizona cowboy

Terry wrote:
I check the price listed at www.tubesandmore.com (AES) if its $2 or
less for a new one then I know its basically worthless, if it's in the
sale flyer it is good for trash or someone elses junk pile...

Terry
www.mcintoshaudio.com

That can change quite rapidly. The 13EM7 was on AES's bargain page at a
really low price - around $2.50 IIRC - until I came out with my two
"miniblok" projects that use these. The price is now at $6.10.

Coincidence? I think not. It all has to do with supply and demand. When
new demand is created, the existing supply becomes more valuable.

Cheers,
Fred

hey Fred, quit running up the damn tube prices with your shenanigans!

hehe

arizona cowboy

"JamesG" wrote in message
Where on earth did you find all those tubes?
JamesG

got very lucky, a great uncle who was one of the first hams in America and a
SERIOUS packrat, passed away about 3 years ago. After biding my time for
all these years, the call FINALLY came one day last month, his relatives
said "come haul off all this electronic crap, please"

it was like a phone call from God!

Fabio Berutti

Being a practicing shooter and a RAT I'd say :

1 - shoot only bad (not working) tubes
2 - shoot the smaller ones, killing a 211-sized tube at 10 feet is like
shooting at the Red Cross
3 - put a LARGE cellophane sheet under Your targets or You'll find glass
splinters around till the end of the century
4 - use some "plinker" load, ie. 3.4-3.6 grains of Winchester 238 for a 200
grains LSWC in a .45 ACP (use weaker recoil spring)
5 - if You get a nuvistor at 50 yards, quit tubes and go to the next
Olympics.

More seriously, I'd suggest You to make some list and to put it on the Net
for offers. I'm sure that somebody somewhere is desperately needing the
most unbelievably useless tubes, but their tags shall be on the net for
Google to "see" 'em and matching offer and demand.

Ciao

Fabio

"arizona cowboy" cacheoverflowATyahoo.com ha scritto nel messaggio
[...]

Fred Nachbaur

Fabio Berutti wrote:
Being a practicing shooter and a RAT I'd say :

1 - shoot only bad (not working) tubes
2 - shoot the smaller ones, killing a 211-sized tube at 10 feet is like
shooting at the Red Cross
3 - put a LARGE cellophane sheet under Your targets or You'll find glass
splinters around till the end of the century
4 - use some "plinker" load, ie. 3.4-3.6 grains of Winchester 238 for a 200
grains LSWC in a .45 ACP (use weaker recoil spring)
5 - if You get a nuvistor at 50 yards, quit tubes and go to the next
Olympics.

More seriously, I'd suggest You to make some list and to put it on the Net
for offers. I'm sure that somebody somewhere is desperately needing the
most unbelievably useless tubes, but their tags shall be on the net for
Google to "see" 'em and matching offer and demand.

Thanks for the wonderfully humourous and light-hearted reply, Fabio. I
especially like the bit about nuvistors at 50 yards. Very witty.

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Gregg

Behold, Fabio Berutti signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

use some "plinker"
load, ie. 3.4-3.6 grains of Winchester 238 for a 200 grains LSWC in a
.45 ACP (use weaker recoil spring)

How about 28 grains of Hercules "unique", 1-1/8 oz #8 in a 12 ga ;-)

--
Gregg
Former competition handicap trap shooter

YNNED IBANEZ

pick out your favorits, then make me a good deal on the rest!!!!!!!!!!!