Brian McCoy

Default Front speak install issue - Toyota T100

Well, seems either I've been given some bad information or I'm completely
clueless which trying to install some new speakers. I'm a car-audio
newbie (this Toy is the 2nd 4-wheeled vehicle I've owned in the 15 years
since I started driving, I normally don't have a car and just ride
motorcycles), but not at all new to home theater type stuff. Anyway, my
fiance complained about how ****ty the sound was in my truck vs the
factory Bose system in her car and I figgured the quick and simple upgrade
would be just to toss some good speakers in there. I visited a couple of
local installers (HiFi Buys, and 2 mom&pop shops) to play with knobs and
see if a new HU was needed (it's not for what I do) and listen to
speakers. I was told that 6.5"s were the right size for the trucks doors
(several online places list the openings as 7", a 5.25" is what actually
came out) so I bought some Infinity Kappa 63.5s as they seemed to sound
the best to me for the money. Now that I've spent 3 hours fussing with
the damn thing on one door, I'm somewhat dissapointed with fitment. I had
to hack up the stock speaker holder to get the new speaker to fit the
adapter and have the proper depth(which is sorta does, as well as
something that's close but not exact could be expected to work). Then
fitting to the door, I also had to enlarge the sheetmetal a few mm (I just
rolled it under with a ball-peen hammer) only to find that the tweeters
extend several mm beyond the door and the stock speaker grill won't fit.

Are these typical issues with doing speakers? Are there adapters out
there that cater to fitting aftermarket speakers to different vehicles
(all I can find are what appear to be sizers ~ fitting a 4" in a 5.25"
hole). If it turns out that making my own adapter is the best solution,
what's the best material? How much space do I need to leave between the
window and the magnet to ensure I don't break something? Or would it be
better just to find a direct replacement for the 5.25" speaker and forget
all this fabrication/fitment issues.

I'm frustrated at this point, but would rather move ahead and fix the
issues I have now rather than give up. Unless, that is, fitting these
just isn't going to work for whatever reason. Thanks for any
advice/help....

Brian

mayhemkrew

I remember seeing speaker mounting adaptors at my shop, but I have never
used them and we never sold them, and eventually we got rid of em; probably
because we don't get that vehicle in ever for front speakers. SO, I know
there is a mounting adaptor, just gonna have to find em.

news