jus711

Default Amp/sub wiring help

I am in the process of trying to consolidate to one amp. I have a
cursory knowledge of car audio, but i am certainly in deference to the
people here in this forum.

I have a ppi pcx-480. Its specs are 4 x 80 at 4ohms and 4 x 160 at 2
ohms and 320x2 bridged at 4 ohm mono. I am going to hook my components
up to the front two channels. But, my dilemma is that I have 2 10" svc
4ohm subs, that i'd like to hook up to the rear two channels. What
would be the best way to do this? Should I hook up the subs in
parallel and bridge the rear channel? Would this be giving 160 watts
to each sub? Would this put too much load on the amp (I believe it's 2
ohm stable)?

Thank You.
Scott Gardner

On 12 Apr 2004 17:48:42 -0700, (jus711) wrote:

Scott Gardner wrote in message . ..
On 12 Apr 2004 13:04:51 -0700,
(jus711) wrote:

I am in the process of trying to consolidate to one amp. I have a
cursory knowledge of car audio, but i am certainly in deference to the
people here in this forum.

I have a ppi pcx-480. Its specs are 4 x 80 at 4ohms and 4 x 160 at 2
ohms and 320x2 bridged at 4 ohm mono. I am going to hook my components
up to the front two channels. But, my dilemma is that I have 2 10" svc
4ohm subs, that i'd like to hook up to the rear two channels. What
would be the best way to do this? Should I hook up the subs in
parallel and bridge the rear channel? Would this be giving 160 watts
to each sub? Would this put too much load on the amp (I believe it's 2
ohm stable)?

Thank You.

I don't think the PCX-480 is 2-ohm stable into a mono load, which is
what you'd be giving it if you bridged two of the channels together
into a parallel pair of 4-ohm subs. Without changing any parts, your
safest bet would be to give each 4-ohm sub its own channel.

Scott

There's no way to hook them up 2-ohm stereo?

You could wire the two subs in parallel for a 2-ohm load, and then use
ONE of the amp's four channels to drive them. It can handle a 2-ohm
load on a single channel, just not on a bridged pair. Of course, that
only gets you a total of 160 watts into the two subs, which is exactly
what you'd get if you gave each 4-ohm sub its own channel. Plus,
you'd have one unused channel on your amp.

There's really not much you can do with the parts you have - the
quantity and type of subs you have aren't ideally-matched to your
amplifier. You could get two more identical subs and give each of the
rear amp channels a two-ohm load, or you could replace your two subs
with two 8-ohm subs, wire them parallel for a 4-ohm load, and bridge
two of your amp channels together to power them. Otherwise, one 4-ohm
sub per rear channel is your best bet.

Scott Gardner

coronadeluxe

I guess I could also get 2-ohm subs or 4-ohm
dvcs, or another amp, I'll way my options, thanks again

Exactly. I'd bridge two channels of that 4-ch to each 4-ohm sub and get
another two channel (PCX-250/280?) to power the front.

Wiring for component "drawers"? Michael Volow General 2 March 13th 04 03:46 AM
Honda Acura external amp wiring (repost) Martik Car Audio 1 March 9th 04 07:56 AM
Acura/Bose Amp wiring Martik Car Audio 1 March 7th 04 02:43 AM
wiring a used DVA-5205 to test? Robert Drake Car Audio 1 August 14th 03 04:09 AM
Need help wiring speakers Chris Fonville Car Audio 8 August 7th 03 12:43 AM