Daniel Normolle

Default Loss of Sensitivity, Not Antenna

Hello, All,

Is there any reason a modern FM car tuner should lose sensitivity
over time that's not related to the antenna? I have a '99 Passat
with a stock VW radio. When I first got it, I was astonished at
how many FM stations it could pull in. Now, it's down to about
3. I unscrewed the antenna, and there was no sign of corrosion;
I cleaned it to no avail. Any ideas?

TIA,

dpn
Eddie Runner

that car probably has an electronic amplified antenna...

when you unscrewed the antenna to look for corrosion
did your reception get worse (without the stinger) or stay
the same (an indiscation there is a b problem before the
stinger)..??

Hows your AM? (an indicator of antenna health)

Eddie Runner

Daniel Normolle wrote:

Hello, All,

Is there any reason a modern FM car tuner should lose sensitivity
over time that's not related to the antenna? I have a '99 Passat
with a stock VW radio. When I first got it, I was astonished at
how many FM stations it could pull in. Now, it's down to about
3. I unscrewed the antenna, and there was no sign of corrosion;
I cleaned it to no avail. Any ideas?

TIA,

dpn

thelizman

Daniel Normolle wrote:
Hello, All,

Is there any reason a modern FM car tuner should lose sensitivity
over time that's not related to the antenna? I have a '99 Passat
with a stock VW radio. When I first got it, I was astonished at
how many FM stations it could pull in. Now, it's down to about
3. I unscrewed the antenna, and there was no sign of corrosion;
I cleaned it to no avail. Any ideas?

The question is flawed. You have not ruled out the antenna just because
you ruled out a rusted fender. There can be corrosion of the wires in
the cable, or the cable could have become crimped/broken/pulled apart on
the inside. Come back when you've ruled out the antenna using a
temporary (such as a magnet mount antenna).

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

Before you ask a question, check the FAQs for this newsgroup at
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq. It contains over a decade and
a half of knowledge.

teamROCS Car Audio Forums http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.

Sony CDX-CA900X--No Power Antenna Lead??... MicroCast Car Audio 1 July 31st 04 02:34 PM
Radio reception worse than factory radio, antenna adapter? AC/DCdude17 Car Audio 3 December 24th 03 02:17 PM
XM Antenna Help..... Ringo Car Audio 10 December 13th 03 04:40 AM
need amplified tv antenna for wheelchair Richard Galli Car Audio 1 November 13th 03 07:04 AM
hearing loss info Andy Weaks Car Audio 17 August 10th 03 08:32 AM