John Byrns

Default 6SC7 -> 6SL7? Any reasons why not?

In article , "Shiva"
wrote:

I got a tiny RCA mic /phono (yeah) preamp, and it uses a single toob - 6SC7.
I've got a couple, but I have a weird aversion to metal toobs. Any reason
why I shouldn't go with a 6SL7? i know the pinout's *slightly* different,
but only one grid. Anyone done this? The specs look close enough...

Don't forget to add a shield.

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/
Shiva

"John Byrns" wrote in message
In article , "Shiva"
wrote:

I got a tiny RCA mic /phono (yeah) preamp, and it uses a single toob -

6SC7.
I've got a couple, but I have a weird aversion to metal toobs. Any

reason
why I shouldn't go with a 6SL7? i know the pinout's *slightly*

different,
but only one grid. Anyone done this? The specs look close enough...

Don't forget to add a shield.

Regards,

John Byrns

Because the metal toob has a shield pin? I've never really seen shields on
6sl7's (i 'm sure they exist), the only time a shield made a diff. is when I
stuck the first gain stage too close to the output toobs (trying to squeeze
in too much on too small a chassis)...
-dim

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/

Phil

Shiva wrote:

"John Byrns" wrote in message
In article , "Shiva"
wrote:

I got a tiny RCA mic /phono (yeah) preamp, and it uses a single toob -

6SC7.
I've got a couple, but I have a weird aversion to metal toobs. Any

reason
why I shouldn't go with a 6SL7? i know the pinout's *slightly*

different,
but only one grid. Anyone done this? The specs look close enough...

Don't forget to add a shield.

Regards,

John Byrns

Because the metal toob has a shield pin? I've never really seen shields on
6sl7's (i 'm sure they exist), the only time a shield made a diff. is when I
stuck the first gain stage too close to the output toobs (trying to squeeze
in too much on too small a chassis)...
-dim

I'm sure the shield pin on the metal tube is for the metal enclosure itself. I
think those were put on all metal tubes so that if an element shorted to the
metal enclosure, it wouldn't wind up killing someone who touched the enclosure.

Phil

t.hoehler

I'm sure the shield pin on the metal tube is for the metal enclosure

itself. I
think those were put on all metal tubes so that if an element shorted to

the
metal enclosure, it wouldn't wind up killing someone who touched the

enclosure.

Phil

I remember opening up a bad 6F6 metal tube a long time ago, and IIRC, there
was a thin glass envelope inside the metal can. Strange consruction, but
that is the way that one was made. I'm not sure any electrode could ever
contact the outer metal can, but maybe they are all not made that way. The
outer can was connected to a ground point as you referred to as the shield
pin.
Regards,
Tom
Regards,
Tom

Fred Nachbaur

t.hoehler wrote:
I'm sure the shield pin on the metal tube is for the metal enclosure

itself. I

think those were put on all metal tubes so that if an element shorted to

the

metal enclosure, it wouldn't wind up killing someone who touched the

enclosure.

Phil

I remember opening up a bad 6F6 metal tube a long time ago, and IIRC, there
was a thin glass envelope inside the metal can. Strange consruction, but
that is the way that one was made. I'm not sure any electrode could ever
contact the outer metal can, but maybe they are all not made that way. The
outer can was connected to a ground point as you referred to as the shield
pin.

I never took apart a 6F6, but the couple small-signal tubes I did take
apart did *not* have an inner glass envelope.

Don't want to sacrifice a metal tube to science? Here's a dissection
story, with photos:
http://www.r-type.org/static/6j5.htm

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects: http://dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Carroll Conklin

Dim,

The only reason to keep the original is for resale value. If you are just
going to experiment, have at it!

For the responders who don't think the outside metal case is connected to
anything --BEWARE--.

I got one of the worst shocks of my life from a metal 6L6. It was a beater,
I was using to troubleshoot an amp. I brushed my hand against it and it had
the full B+ on the can! It is common practice for un-used pins on tube
sockets to be used as tie points. Just my luck that this amp tied the shield
pin to B+.

Carroll