Islakit

Default replacement tubes for headphone amp

Hello all! I have an Antique Sound Lab MG-Head DT headphone amplifier. It
has 2 6BQ5 tubes of an unknown brand and a single JJ ECC83 tube. I use it
almost exclusively for classical music listening. Not much Mozart but alot
of the heavier orchestral stuff like Bruckner, Vaughan Williams and
Shostakovich. I'd like to start tube rolling with this thing to see how I
can better the sound. Any suggestions on replacement/alternate tubes and
where to find them?

Larry

Jim McShane

Hi Larry,

Try an RCA 12AX7 and a couple Ei 6BQ5/EL84s.
I think you'll be very pleased.

I carry a wide variety of tubes, the site link is in
my signature.

Thanks,

Jim McShane
Need Tubes? Got a H-K Citation (Pre) Amp?
Check http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane
Repro knobs for Citation gear in stock!

"Islakit" wrote in message
. ..
Hello all! I have an Antique Sound Lab MG-Head DT headphone amplifier.

It
has 2 6BQ5 tubes of an unknown brand and a single JJ ECC83 tube. I use it
almost exclusively for classical music listening. Not much Mozart but

alot
of the heavier orchestral stuff like Bruckner, Vaughan Williams and
Shostakovich. I'd like to start tube rolling with this thing to see how I
can better the sound. Any suggestions on replacement/alternate tubes and
where to find them?

Larry

TubeGarden

Hi RATs!

6BQ5 = EL84

www.tubesandmore.com

www.google.com

Happy Ears!
Al

Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead
Marko

Larry, I have acquired a considerable collection of used USA 6BQ5s from
stripping tube type console stereos. If you have a tube tester and some
church donation type resale shops around you might find some good stuff. I
also find a lot of really strong USA 12AX7s in portable record players.
Messy but rewarding. MH (top post)
. ..