Tube747

Default Can I put 2 transformer in series?

Hello!
Can I put 2 identical power transformer (115V primary and 6.3VCT secondary) in
series and get 230V primary and 6.3VCT on secondary)?

Thank!
Alan Douglas

Hi,

Can I put 2 identical power transformer (115V primary and 6.3VCT secondary) in
series and get 230V primary and 6.3VCT on secondary)?

Yes. You might want to put a lamp in series when you first run it,
just in case you get the phasing wrong. Measure the two primary
voltages to be sure they're equal.

73, Alan
Alan Douglas

Back again,

I forgot to mention that the two secondaries *must* be parallelled.

73, Alan
Alan Douglas

Hi,

Are you meaning that putting the primary in series and secondary in parallel of
2 identical transformers for 230V primary and 6.3VCT on the secondary?

Yes.

I heard the people said that it's better to use 2 transformers which has 115
primary for 230V instead of "one single" transformer that has 230V at the
beginning. Is that correct?

It's certainly not better; in fact it's a kludge and not all that
safe, but it will "work" if you only have 115 (120)V transformers.

Finally, do you think 2 transformer (primary in series and secondary in
parallel) will affect the efficiency of the transformers itself?

A little less efficient, not enough to worry about.

73, Alan