Shriram

Default Next HU recommendation.

Hi

I am a home audiophile just getting into car audio. 1997 Acura
Integra GSR hatchback.

Had a Pioneer 640P premier HU and was thinking of adding a sub, but it
got stolen.

Now thinking of my next HU, but no sub as think it invites theives.
Also want some security protection and ability to play WMA or MP3
files (whichever SQ is better). Most of my files are WMA.

Is a HU with a internal amp is better for SQ or should I look for a
pre and then a power amp. ? Any reco's for units to look
at/recommend.

$$ is generally fungible though would like to stay within $500.

Shriram
MZ

Hi

I am a home audiophile just getting into car audio. 1997 Acura
Integra GSR hatchback.

Had a Pioneer 640P premier HU and was thinking of adding a sub, but it
got stolen.

Now thinking of my next HU, but no sub as think it invites theives.

A sub is easier to hide than a HU. The HU is more likely to attract
theives. You're eliminating the wrong piece.

Also want some security protection and ability to play WMA or MP3
files (whichever SQ is better). Most of my files are WMA.

Is a HU with a internal amp is better for SQ or should I look for a
pre and then a power amp. ? Any reco's for units to look
at/recommend.

Power amplifiers can generally produce more power than HU amplifiers, and
therefore are better for SQ. Is that what you're asking?