jw

Default opinons, please: alpine 7995 vs. 7998

These are pretty aggressively discounted online: $300 for the 7995 and $500
for the 7998. Is the 7998 worth the extra 2 bills?

Rilian

"jw" wrote in
:

These are pretty aggressively discounted online: $300 for the 7995 and
$500 for the 7998. Is the 7998 worth the extra 2 bills?

Depends on what's important to you.

The 7995 has a detachable face, the 7998 has the Fantom face (faceplate
folds itself away inside the unit). If you like to take your faceplate
with you for security, get the 7995. If the 7998 is stolen it will work
for the thief as is. Watching the fantom-face emerge and put itself
away is kind of cool, but eventually that folding mechanism will wear
out.

Display: the 7995 has a 3 color dot-matrix display - the 7998 has a B&W
display but it's much higher resolution. Look at the close-up pictures
of each display on Crutchfield.com.

Key color: the 7995 buttons can be set to blue, green, or red. The 7998
buttons can be either green or amber.

Faceplate: the 7995 has silver trim - the 7998 is black.

The 7995 has a clock - the 7998 has a clock and a calendar. Upon
power-up it will display various holiday greetings and even wish you a
happy birthday if you like that sort of thing.

The 7998 has equalizer settings - the 7995 does not. You can also make
I-Personalize CDRs for the 7998 which will load different configurations
of equalization and time-delay settings that you create, without having
to do it through the user controls.

Other than those items, the controls and features are pretty close. I
have the 7998 and I like it very much but I'm sure I would have been
happy with the 7995 as well (except for the silver faceplate - doesn't
match my dash).
lbridges

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:04:50 GMT, Rilian wrote:

"jw" wrote in
:

These are pretty aggressively discounted online: $300 for the 7995 and
$500 for the 7998. Is the 7998 worth the extra 2 bills?

Depends on what's important to you.

...snip...

Key color: the 7995 buttons can be set to blue, green, or red. The 7998
buttons can be either green or amber.

...snip.

I have the 7995 and the buttons don't change colors. Other than that
agree.
Rilian

lbridges wrote in
:

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:04:50 GMT, Rilian wrote:

"jw" wrote in
m:

These are pretty aggressively discounted online: $300 for the 7995
and $500 for the 7998. Is the 7998 worth the extra 2 bills?

Depends on what's important to you.

...snip...

Key color: the 7995 buttons can be set to blue, green, or red. The
7998 buttons can be either green or amber.

...snip.

I have the 7995 and the buttons don't change colors. Other than that
agree.

I was only going by the info on crutchfield.com - you obviously would
know first hand - thanks for the correction.
twest

I'm concerned with features that affect security, sound quality and sound
adjustment. Regarding the equalizer: do they both have an eq and the 98 has
memory positions for the eq, or does the 95 not have an eq at all? I'm torn
because I'd rather have a removable faceplate, but I also want the most
flexibility for sound adjustment. Do either of these models accommodate
auxiliary inputs?

"Rilian" wrote in message
"jw" wrote in
:

[...]

Rilian

"twest" wrote in
:

I'm concerned with features that affect security, sound quality and
sound adjustment. Regarding the equalizer: do they both have an eq
and the 98 has memory positions for the eq, or does the 95 not have an
eq at all? I'm torn because I'd rather have a removable faceplate, but
I also want the most flexibility for sound adjustment. Do either of
these models accommodate auxiliary inputs?

As I said before, I have the 7998 so to compare the two I looked at
Crutchfield's website for the 7995's features. It appears to not have a
conventional equalizer, but it does let you set the center frequencies
for the bass and the treble.

Here's Crutchfield's page that describes the 7995's sound-shaping
features as well as the adapters needed for connecting an external
source:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-z6xJ5kR...asp?a=&s=0&cc=
01&g=62700&id=detailed_info&i=500CDA7995

And here's where you can download the owner's manual for each:

http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/html/asb/...da-7995_om.pdf
http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/html/asb/...da-7998_om.pdf

The manuals should give you all the info you need to compare the two.
jpswanberg

the 7995 has bass engine plus (2 way analog x-over, time alignment on 4
channels, 2 band eq); the 7998 has bass engine pro (3 way digital
active x-over, time alignment on all 6 channels, 7 band or 5 band
parametric eq). both have 4v output, i have had both and they sound
very good. can't go wrong with either. get the one witht the features
you need. jps

--
jpswanberg