Jim

Default Subwoofer firing direction important?

I have heard some debate that the sound wave from the subwoofer sounds best
when it has room to travel. So in saying this would firing a subwoofer
towards a metal sheeting in the car make the sound quality worst or was what
I heard just bull? Some sites say travel others say no as bass can "pass"
through metal sheeting so who's right?

Reason I ask if I will have a new sub and box built but the design (wedge
type) of the box only allows me to fire towards the hatch (around 6" travel)
instead of the opposite side (around 30" travel).

Many thanks

Jim

MZ

I have heard some debate that the sound wave from the subwoofer sounds
best
when it has room to travel.

Like a fine wine, it needs to breathe? Doesn't make much sense.

So in saying this would firing a subwoofer
towards a metal sheeting in the car make the sound quality worst or was

what
I heard just bull? Some sites say travel others say no as bass can "pass"
through metal sheeting so who's right?

www.installer.com/tech/aiming.html

Scott

"Jim" wrote in message ...
I have heard some debate that the sound wave from the subwoofer sounds best
when it has room to travel. So in saying this would firing a subwoofer
towards a metal sheeting in the car make the sound quality worst or was what
I heard just bull? Some sites say travel others say no as bass can "pass"
through metal sheeting so who's right?

Reason I ask if I will have a new sub and box built but the design (wedge
type) of the box only allows me to fire towards the hatch (around 6" travel)
instead of the opposite side (around 30" travel).

Many thanks

Jim

The amount of effect that firing direction will have is dependant on
frequency. If the wavelength of the frequency is longer than the
longest dimension of the inside of your car the effect should be
minimal. If the wavelength of the frequency is shorter than the
longest dimension in your car the effect can be huge. Harmonics of
these primary frequencies can also come into effect if they are loud
in comparison with the amplitude of the primary. Check this site out
there is some pretty cool stuff there.
http://www.bcae1.com/frequncy.htm