Default I'm selling my recording gear...

This is sort of the opposite message from most of the "newbie" ones
you'll read on here. You know the ones...."I've been using my tascam 4
track. Now I've got $x to spend....what should I buy?" No, I'm going
in the opposite direction. After many long nights of deliberation and
discussions with my wife about it, I've decided to sell off most of my
recording gear.
I'm a musician and love to play music. Recording totally facinates me
and I started recording stuff on my own years ago. Well, the day jobs
got better and I had more to spend on gear. I've collected a very nice
collection of stuff...all the usual names. I just don't really have
the time, or space to use it. The thing is...I don't even have a place
to play my instruments anymore. Well, loud that is. I can pick up an
electric and strum along, but forget about plugging in and cranking it
up.
I'd always thought that if I just had a room at my house or outback
that I could convert to a studio, that'd be great. Well, this is where
the soul-searching came in...I thought about it. Right now, if I had
all my recording gear in a room out back, would I even have the time to
use it? Would I schedule friends or bands to come over to record?
Would I do this for a hobby and charge money? Free? If I did this,
would I have time to actually play the drums or guitar, which is what I
really love in the first place?
I think I've answered my questions. I'll sell of my mics, pres,
compressors, etc....heck, I'll be able to build a room out back to
actually play in. Imagine that? A musician that plays music and
doesn't worry about remembering how Nuendo works it's been so long
since the last time it was turned on. I'll probably keep a few things
just to do some two track recording. A few DATS or maybe even get a
little Powerbook and PT 002 or Mbox setup so I can still record some
practice sessions or whatever.
So, this might be a first, but I'm actually going BACK to just being a
musician. Heck, for the little time I have to actually record, I could
go to a "real" studio and lay down basic tracks and then go back home
to my little rig and overdub vox or whatever with my 3-4 mics and PT
rig.
I'm trying to put together a gear list for those of you interested, but
that's not really the point of this post. It's part of the process for
me to let go of the gear by telling folks.
Later,

EGO

Glad to see someone sees the importance of thinking through things and
scaling back.

Now where's that gear list? Mmm!

Animix

I'll probably keep a few things
just to do some two track recording. A few DATS or maybe even get a
little Powerbook and PT 002 or Mbox setup so I can still record some
practice sessions or whatever.

Muhahahah!!!!!!!!!!............once bitten! I'll bet you are going to need
to keep a few mics too........and a few preamps.........and maybe a
compressor or two............and you're going to need to build an iso booth
in your *new room* ;O)

Why don't you just admit it to yourself and realize that you, like the rest
of us here, are doomed.

Cheers,

DJ

"EGO" wrote in message
ups.com...
Glad to see someone sees the importance of thinking through things and
scaling back.

Now where's that gear list? Mmm!

Here's a partial list...if this doesn't work or format properly, just
email me and i'll send a list. I'll also describe everything if needed
and can send pics.

Qty Descripton Price
1 Marshall 1960 4x12 cab JCM800 1989 400
1 Marshall JCM800 50watt head 650
1 Marshall 1960 4x12 cabinet w/ Gbacks 1975 (or so) 500
1 DW Craviotto Snare Drum 5x14 350
1 Ludwig 5x14 Supraphonic COB snare drum1961 650
1 Slingerland 12/13/16/16/18/22 Grn Spkl 60s kit 900
1 Slingerland wood snare drum 8x14 60s 300
1 Tama Superstar 10/12/13/14/16/18/22/24 kit 1200
1 Tama Artstar Birch Snare 6.5x14 90s 350
1 Fender Stratocaster Bk MIJ 83 w/ cs pickups 350
1 Gibson EB-0 bass Cherry 1969, needs hdstk rep. 200
1 Hammond Organ solid state model w/ drawbars 200
1 AKG C414BULS 500
1 AKG 451B w/ CK2 capsule 400
1 AKG RE20 300
1 AKG D112 150
1 Audio Technica AT4040 150
1 Beyer M500 Ribbon Mic 350
1 Beyer M201 dynamic Mic 150
1 Beyer 740 multi-pattern LDC 500
1 Beyer M300 100
1 Neumann TLM103 w/ wooden box & shockmount 650
1 Shure SM91 150
1 API 6 space lunchbox w/ original box 375
1 API 560b graphic eq 500
3 OSA MP1-A mic pres (API 500 form factor) 400ea
1 dbx 165 compressor/limiter VU meter 550
1 dbx 160x compressor/limiter 200
1 ART Pro VLA 2 channel compressor/limiter 150
1 Auratone studio monitors pr. 250
1 Behringer headphone amp 50
1 Hafler H1600 power amp 150
1 JBL 4410 Studio monitors pr. 500pr
1 Lexicon PCM41 digital delay 450
2 MOTU 1224 audio interface converters 400pr
1 MOTU PCI-324 computer card 100
1 MXR dual limiter 200
1 MXR pitch transposer 200
2 RNC 1773 2 channel compressor (in funk logic) 150ea
1 Studiomaster P7 16 channel mixing board 350
1 Vintech Dual 72 2 channel mic pre 1100
1 Yamaha Rev500 reverb unit 200
1 Mapex 6x13 Steel Pro snare drum 100
1 Rickenbacker TR7 combo amp 1984 75
1 Sunn single 15" bass cabinet 60s JBL spkr 200
1 Ampeg SBT cabinet 70s, powered 150wpc amp 250
1 Roland JD-990 rack-mount synth 400
1 Yamaha TD7 Synth (rack DX7) 100
1 Tascam 302 dual cassette deck 150
1 Tascam CD-401mkII CD player 100
1 Ebtech Hum Eliminator 100

The point is, this is the normal selling prices for these items. I'm
not desperate. I wasn't even posting here until someone asked.
later,

[...]

I got a bit wigged out about a year ago with goings on at the day job,
drew up a list and then a longer list of gear to liquidate to stay
afloat...added up prices figuring how long I'd be able to survive on
that whilst unemployed.

Well the crisis passed and I thought "you know, even though I'm not
gonna need the cash maybe I ought to scale back, that way I've got less
stuff taking up less room and less stuff sitting around not getting
used."

Then I started really thinking about and realized that once I did
that....I'd just start going "you know, having one more mic pre would
be good, and maybe a compressor or two...then I'd be set". And sooner
or later I'd just be back where I was before.

The downside of this of course being I'd take a hit on depreciation,
only to buy more gear that would again depreciate (well some of the
quality stuff doesn't depreciate that much).

I'm kind of at the point now where I don't buy nearly as much gear,
because:

1. I'm more of an analog guy and even though I have a DAW and some
digital toys, most of that stuff doesn't make me lust after it. There
is not much new gear that give me the gotta haves anymore (well then
again that new budget Telefunken mic....hmmmmmm)

2. I've kind of run out of things to buy and space to store them
in...I've got recording stuff of course, and then live sound stuff,
bass rig stuff, synth collection, etc. I need more gear like I need a
high colonic.

What I have been doing the last two years is selling a lot of my
cheeseball gear on Ebay....other than an Andromeda A6 and a TSR-24 I no
longer have anything that says Alesis, ART, or Digitech on it. The last
of my cheap mic pres are on Ebay as we speak.

So I have a new rule, for every piece of new gear that comes in the
house....two or three pieces of old gear have to leave.

Now the problem is I'm running out of cheeseball stuff to sell..I kind
of enjoyed getting rid of that stuff

Analogeezer

I totally know what you mean by all of that.
later,

marc

You might have an easier time selling them on www.ebay.com

oups.com...