Cryogene

Default Can anyone define me exactly what is a "contour" Fx

Of course I know What a contour do. In my view it is an equalisation
setting (usualy boosting the highs and lows) that can be turned on or off.
Used most of the time to force a coloration of your signal.I find iy very
drastik ) But All of this has only been deduced.

I would be very interested to know about it. ex: Where does this "contour"
expression comes from? When was it first used and on what gear? How does it
function exactly and was I right about it? Does it have other names?
etc......If anyone knows about this, I would be glad to have a reply

Thanks
Cryogene

Mark D. Zacharias

The word, "contour" refers to the shape of the response curve as viewed on a
chart.
It comes from the early days of hi-fi when there were numerous studies into
hearing and perceived loudness. It is supposed to compensate for our
reduced sensitivity to high and low frequencies when the overall volume is
lower.

I find the best results from most loudness controls is to first turn down
the volume, then engage the control, then raise the volume to the point
where the sound seems balanced frequency-wise. A fixed loudness control is
only accurate at one volume level, and this will vary with different
speakers and in different rooms.

Mark Z.