Default Mbox and DP 4.12

To get the Mbox to work with Digital Performer 4.12, I get a lot of
prompts, but ultimately it works. How can I get rid of these "error"
prompts and will the mbox/dp combination eventually stop working?

here's what I have to do:
1. launch dp file (a 16/48 project)
2. prompt: "hardware setup" (it's already set to the mbox at 16/48 and
1024 buffer, same as the digidesign coreaudio manager, i click ok)
3. prompt: "audio hardware's state changed while MAS was running" (I
click continue - the hardware didn't really change - or did it?)
4. prompt: "MAS turned off" (no audio, i click ok)
5. dp opens (can't hear anything yet, no hardware selected)
6. i go to setup, then click "select MAS", and mbox hardware is
activated
7. ok, now the mbox works with dp (as long as i don't have my tascam
us-428 control surface connected, which, btw, is set to audio disable.
i get only noise if i connect the tascam).

so why all this? i'm doing an audio for video project and when i'm in
my studio i use the 828mkII, but when i go on location i prefer the
mbox for portability and power concerns. can i rely on the mbox even if
i have to go through the aforementioned procedure? y'know, it's just a
soundcard change and every other app on my mac doesn't seem to have an
issue with soundcard swaps, including logic. yeah, eventually i'll get
traveler, but for now it's mbox.

here's my gear:
powerbook g4 1ghz cpu, 1 ghz ram, osx.3.8, mbox 6.4, dp 4.12, usb2
drive.

hank alrich

bayareamusician wrote:

osx.3.8

You might like to ask your question on DAW-Mac, but right off, I've read
plenty of dislike for .8 and audio. Quite a few folks have rolled back
to OSX 10.3.7.

ha
Trevor de Clercq

We've got DP 4.12 on six stations here, five of which use the MBox
exclusively and one of which uses a TDM 96 I/O interface exclusively.
As far as being able to rely on the MBox, I can say that it's been
working for us for about half a year with no problems. I had to mess
around with it to get it configured correctly, but once it is set up
properly it should stay set up properly. I'm guessing your issue is
just that you have to go through all this trouble becuase you're
switching between the 828 and the MBox? Well, if that's the only issue,
it doesn't sound like a big deal to me. I personally don't like DP all
that much (due to interface issues like this), but it definitely works
for those who use it.

We've got MOTU Audio System selected with the MBox selected in the
Hardware Setup window. It stays that way once it's configured. Perhaps
going back and forth between hardward has been improved in 4.52. We
don't have the luxury of upgrading our software mid-semester, but as a
single user, I would imagine you should stay up-to-date.

Cheers,
Trevor de Clercq