song writer

Default Eric Johnson Signature Guitar?

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about purchasing the new Eric Johnson Signature Stratocaster
that Fender is selling by special order.

What do you experienced guitarists think are the pros and cons in such a
purchase.

It's selling for $1,600 on the web, however the Guitar Center said they can
sell it for $1,500.

Although I love the Eric Johnson tones, will I still be able to get the
Stevie Ray Van tone out of this guitar? I hope I can sound like both!

And what is a V Neck? Come to think of it, what is a C Neck?

Thanks for your help.
ROCK AN ROLL!!!!

Hey, I'm not one to talk anybody out of buying anything, but it's a
strat and it's going to sound like every other strat. Some sound
great, others ok. The difference in tone between the SRV, Malmsteen,
Beck and most other SIgnature strats are very, very similar. It's the
feel that's going to be different.
later,

Evangelos Himonides

Hi!

Please don't order a guitar without playing it... you have to feel the
instrument, take it in your hands and make it sing. From my experience
as a guitarist, an amateur electric guitar maker and as a recordist,
although the specs are really important, I am quite sure that SRV would
still sound like SRV with Eric's guitar and Eric would still sound like
Eric with SRV's guitar.
In terms of specs? then I would say that the fact that this guitar does
not have a rosewod fingerboard, does not have Dunlop 6100 bass-style
frets, does not have specially wound pickups, does not have the lacquer
stripped off and worn out, and does not have monster 013s strings gives
you an idea about whether it would give you a SRV sound.

Visit a shop and try 'her' out.

Best of Luck,

Evangelos

%
Evangelos Himonides
IoE, University of London
tel: +44 2076126599
fax: +44 2076126741

"Allas to those who never sing but die with all their music in them..."

Oliver Wendell Holmes
%

Roger Christie

Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.
wrote in message
ps.com...
Hey, I'm not one to talk anybody out of buying anything, but it's a
strat and it's going to sound like every other strat. Some sound
great, others ok. The difference in tone between the SRV, Malmsteen,
Beck and most other SIgnature strats are very, very similar. It's the
feel that's going to be different.
later,

This isn't at all true. There is a significant difference in various Strat
models, has been for years. There are variations in electronics (ie pickups,
tone controls, active vs. passive), hardware (bridge etc), neck design....

That said, I wouldn't buy it online. Two of the same model can differ quite
a bit. Get it somewhere that you can play a bunch of them and get the one
that speaks to you.

Nil

On 13 Feb 2005, song writer wrote in
:

Thanks for your help.
ROCK AN ROLL!!!!

So you think that multi-posting this to EVERY music newsgroup is going
to get you an answer? Here, I'll help you by forwarding it to every
porn newsgroup for you. Hope that helps.

Adrian Clark

song writer wrote:

Although I love the Eric Johnson tones, will I still be able to get the
Stevie Ray Van tone out of this guitar? I hope I can sound like both!

And what is a V Neck? Come to think of it, what is a C Neck?

I don't want to discourage you, but those are pretty fundamental
questions for someone willing to spend so much money on so specific a
guitar.

If you like both EJ and SRV, you might be better off trying a few
standard "off the shelf" Strat models, to get a feel for the
differences. Try the latest US and Japanese standard models, then try
the vintage reissues. Find out whether you prefer maple or rosewood
fretboards, vintage or modern profiles.

The Eric Johnson and Stevie Ray Vaughan sounds are/were the result of
far more than just a guitar. SRV's Strats had bass frets, heavy strings
and high action, and he plugged into a multi-amp rig. EJ has a stacked
humbucker (wound for single-coil use) in the bridge position of his
Strat. But the most important link in the chain is the *person* playing
the guitar. EJ is not SRV, and you are neither of them. Try the EJ
signature model, buy it if it makes you happy, but when you don't sound
exactly like Eric, don't blame the guitar.

Adrian

http://www.spaghetti-factory.co.uk --- http://www.sfocata.co.uk
For offgroup communication: sfocata squiggle yahoo ptang com
play_on

If possible I would play the individual guitars before buying one.
Mail order guitars can be a crap shoot, so if you go that route make
sure you can return it if you want to. V and C necks refer to the
shape of the back of the neck, or the neck profile.

The EJ guitar is basically just a nice vintage style strat. You could
buy a second hand custom shop strat off of ebay for $1200, or even one
of the older Japanese Tokais or Fernandes guitars. Or, put one
together from parts for much cheaper than $1600... I put together
strats and teles often, switching the parts around until I get the
magic combination of wood and pickups. People are making excellent
guitar parts nowadays and if you know what you are doing you can put
together a guitar that's just as good as an old Fender. It's a bit of
a hassle to do it but I've ended up with a couple of really great
guitars that cost me less than $700. I sold all my vintage stuff over
the last 10 years in favour of doing this and I don't regret it.

Al

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:28:02 GMT, song writer
wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about purchasing the new Eric Johnson Signature Stratocaster
that Fender is selling by special order.

What do you experienced guitarists think are the pros and cons in such a
purchase.

It's selling for $1,600 on the web, however the Guitar Center said they can
sell it for $1,500.

Although I love the Eric Johnson tones, will I still be able to get the
Stevie Ray Van tone out of this guitar? I hope I can sound like both!

And what is a V Neck? Come to think of it, what is a C Neck?

Thanks for your help.
ROCK AN ROLL!!!!

hank alrich

song writer wrote:

And what is a V Neck? Come to think of it, what is a C Neck?

Until you've figured that out just get yourself the Behringer V-Tone
guitar and amp package and stand in front of the mirror while you play.
With practice you could get to be half as good as Joe Cocker.

--
ha
hank alrich

Mike Rivers wrote:

A C neck is optimized for playing in the key of C. A V neck is
optimized for playing in the key of V.

Close, Mike; the C neck has the built-in capo, and the V neck is
virtual. Thanks for playing.

--
ha

Troy

Only Eric Johnson will get Eric Johnson tones
You will get your own tones.The guitar is just set up to his preferences and
with his choice of electronicsAs you know tones are produced by different
combinations of equipment,but the one main place where tone is created is
in the fingers of the artist.I would pick a strat off the wall of the music
store and chose it that way,not because it has someones name on it.Eric is
an incredible player and it has nothing to do with his choice of guitar.He
would sound good on a peice of crap set up because he has "it"

song writer wrote in message
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about purchasing the new Eric Johnson Signature Stratocaster
that Fender is selling by special order.

What do you experienced guitarists think are the pros and cons in such a
purchase.

It's selling for $1,600 on the web, however the Guitar Center said they

can
sell it for $1,500.

Although I love the Eric Johnson tones, will I still be able to get the
Stevie Ray Van tone out of this guitar? I hope I can sound like both!

And what is a V Neck? Come to think of it, what is a C Neck?

Thanks for your help.
ROCK AN ROLL!!!!

RD Jones

song writer wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about purchasing the new Eric Johnson Signature

Stratocaster
that Fender is selling by special order.

What do you experienced guitarists think are the pros and cons in

such a
purchase.

Caution and research is urged.

It's selling for $1,600 on the web,

Choose a guitar like you would a girlfriend or wife.
Buying a guitar on the web is like a 'mail-order-bride'

however the Guitar Center said they can
sell it for $1,500.

Although I love the Eric Johnson tones, will I still be able to get

the
Stevie Ray Van tone out of this guitar? I hope I can sound like

both!

If Stevie was alive to hear you say that
he would roll over in his grave. ;-]
Eric and Stevie are/were both Hendrix affectionados so
there's some Start-essence in common but their styles
and use of amp/effects are quite divergent.

And what is a V Neck?

It's a very distinct feel with the pronounced
ridge or 'spine' running down the back of the neck.
Common only on the mid `50's models with maple neck
and the `50's reissues as well as some of the Custom
models like the Clapton. It's a very distinct feel
with the pronounced ridge or 'spine' running down
the back of the neck. You REALLY need to try one to
make sure you like it. You should be able to find
a `57 reissue to get an idea.

Come to think of it, what is a C Neck?

The most common neck profile, very rounded.
This does not relate to fret radius,
only the back of the neck.

Thanks for your help.
ROCK AN ROLL!!!!

good luck
rd

Roger W. Norman

If you can't answer the questions you have from playing any of the guitars
you wish to consider for purchase, then don't buy any of the guitars. If
you don't know from personal experience the touch and feel of a C neck vs a
V neck, then whatever you buy has at least a 50/50 chance of being wrong (or
of being right, but a $1500 WRONG purchase is a serious waste of time and
money). If you don't know what the guitars play like, you'll never make any
reasonable sounds out of them without considerable change in your approach
to playing them. You will play a guitar you feel comfortable with far
better than one you're not comfortable with, and that's just a fact.
Getting someone else's sounds out of a guitar is about the stupidest reason
to buy a guitar, particularly sight unseen. If you've got $1500 to play
with, go to a reputable MI store and simply play guitars until one says
quietly into your ear "Take me home, we were made for each other".

Otherwise save your money because if you make purchasing decisions based on
advertising or what looks pretty or might help you, you simply are going to
need that money to fix some mistakes.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"song writer" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about purchasing the new Eric Johnson Signature Stratocaster
that Fender is selling by special order.

What do you experienced guitarists think are the pros and cons in such a
purchase.

It's selling for $1,600 on the web, however the Guitar Center said they

can
sell it for $1,500.

Although I love the Eric Johnson tones, will I still be able to get the
Stevie Ray Van tone out of this guitar? I hope I can sound like both!

And what is a V Neck? Come to think of it, what is a C Neck?

Thanks for your help.
ROCK AN ROLL!!!!

Idiot....that's my point exactly. I realize that some, like the
Clapton have some active electronics, etc. But, basically, it's just a
strat. Go to a music store that stocks a bunch and get the best
playing one. You can always upgrade the pickups and put whatever you
like in it. I've found a few of the Mex or Jap strats to be some of my
favs as far as feel go. I've had 60s strats that felt like ass.
Guys always think there's going to be some magic to a signature
instrument. There's not. It's just the particular guitar that these
guys got that feel/sounded right to them when they purchased it. For
someone else to copy it and sell it to someone else....it's basically
just a strat. That was my point.
For $1600 I'd much rather look around for something that spoke to me.
Later,

One more thing Roger/Self proclaimed Strat expert.....

I was addressing the guy that was asking the question. If he doesn't
know the difference between a neck shape, then I doubt seriously he's
going to be able to tell the difference between a randomly selected
group of strats....active, or passive. Those of us that have played
for a while and owned many, many guitars the answer is very different.
later,

Roger Christie

Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.
wrote in message
oups.com...
Idiot....that's my point exactly. I realize that some, like the
Clapton have some active electronics, etc. But, basically, it's just a
strat. Go to a music store that stocks a bunch and get the best
playing one. You can always upgrade the pickups and put whatever you
like in it. I've found a few of the Mex or Jap strats to be some of my
favs as far as feel go. I've had 60s strats that felt like ass.
Guys always think there's going to be some magic to a signature
instrument. There's not. It's just the particular guitar that these
guys got that feel/sounded right to them when they purchased it. For
someone else to copy it and sell it to someone else....it's basically
just a strat. That was my point.
For $1600 I'd much rather look around for something that spoke to me.
Later,

Idiot. Nice. I don't recall calling you names.

Lets go to the tape. Quote: "it's a strat and it's going to sound like
every other strat."

My POINT, idiot, was that all strats DO NOT sound alike. A strat does not
NECESSARILY sound like every other strat.

Asspanda.

Grow some social skills.

If you didn't I stand corrected. If you didn't, then who did type that
village idiot quote on both of your posts?

Seriously Roger, do you really think the original poster is going to
tell the difference between an american std that can be had for about
$800 less? I'm not insulting his/her abilities, just the fact that I'm
guessing they're an EJ fan and looking for tones similar. Give any
decent player ANY strat with an effects rack that can mimic those
sounds and he's there.
Not to say that ANYONE is going to be able to get the same sound as EJ,
just an approximation.
But getting these tones is not dependant on the signature model.
later,

Not to just keep dragging this out, but I just bounced over to the
fender.com site and read the specs on this EJ sig model. It's
basically a 50s model vintage reissue with a 12" radius neck. Nothing
special. True it's modeled after one of EJ's main guitars...I suppose
but is that worth $1600? And to Roger....how is this one going to
sound much different from another 57V series?

Look...I understand that EVERY guitar is different....you're talking to
a guy with 40+ guitars....Les Pauls, Strats, Teles,
Ricks....everything. I'm just saying that all my strats basically fall
into the "strat" category. Tele's....ditto, etc. Heck, all the
Fenders fall into a certain category that for most people, would
probably suffice. Like, in a studio setting....."I think a single coil
fender sound would be better here than a Gibson". I'm talking broad
strokes....not finite details. Just trying to save the guy some money
and point out that I don't think this EJ Sig guitar is really going to
be $800 different than a regular american std on the wall. Maybe it
will be. Maybe the one that he picks up will be magic in his
hands.....the world will be in slow motion while he's strumming in the
Guitar Center next to the 15 other guys blasting Metallica licks away
while he's nailing that intro to Cliffs of Dover.....what am I to
say....I'm the missing idiot from a village in Texas.....
Why do I get baited into these things when all I'm trying to do is help
a brother out.....
later,
later,

#1, the village idiot thing goes along with every post and wasn't aimed at
you in particular, so I apologize if you took it that way. For my money,
theres only one village idiot missing from Texas currently, and he's living
in DC.

#2 I don't know much about the EJ strat specifically. For my money, EJs tone
is so effected and so processed, he could be playing an Ibanez. The only
thing I was taking issue with was the specific line that every strat was
going to sound like every other strat. And when I take issue with it, I'm
not really thinking of the subtler variations from guitar to guitar, but
differences in models. For example, I have an Ultra Plus, which has Lace
Sensors. I love it to death, but its not at all the classic strat sound. It
can do a nice strat -type- of sound, but its real tone falls somewhere
between what one would consider a Fender sound and more Gibson type sound.
Kind of like a much more nimble, less heavy handed Les Paul. I used to have
a Clapton signature. It didn't sound -anything- like the Ultra, even though
they both had Lace Sensors. The physical differences included different
various of PUs, different bridge and nut hardware, different neck, active
electronics tone boost.

And /neither/ of those guitars sound anything like the vintage 60s strat
I've been recording recently, which is reminiscent of the early solo Clapton
sound.

All that aside, you're undoubtedly correct that if the guy in question
doesn't know about things like neck shapes, its probably going to matter far
more that he just finds a strat he likes to play. And he probably would be
better served financially to just get one of the nicer American std models.