Nick

Default Free Air Sub

I've been having trouble googling anything useful about good free air subs.
I have a GS300 with a factory 10" sub, and want to keep all the trunk space
I can. Any recommendations? Amp will be bought according to what the sub
calls for...

Nick

Sean Scott

"Nick" wrote in message
news
I've been having trouble googling anything useful about good free air
subs. I have a GS300 with a factory 10" sub, and want to keep all the
trunk space I can. Any recommendations? Amp will be bought according to
what the sub calls for...

Nick

Try one of these two, they are both taking up less than a cubic foot of
space and have built in amps.
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/re...s_reviews.html

Kevin McMurtrie

"Nick" wrote:

I've been having trouble googling anything useful about good free air subs.
I have a GS300 with a factory 10" sub, and want to keep all the trunk space
I can. Any recommendations? Amp will be bought according to what the sub
calls for...

Nick

A free-air sub is one that's made for an enclosure that is very large or
vented outside of the listening area. They're also called "infinite
baffle." The difference is that they are made for higher excursion
rather than higher back pressure. For a car you'd put the sub between
the cabin and trunk or between the interior and exterior.

Adire's Shiva (12") and Tempest (15") can be used free-air. A 10"
free-air sub may be harder to find.

Note that "free-air" doesn't mean that it will work without the front
and back halves being separated and sealed by a barrier. Speakers that
sit in open space are called "dipole" and those kinds of subs don't fit
in a car.
Warren Bryant

I coworker of mine years ago used a Soundstream Granite 12" and it
sounded great free-air.

I have personally used an Oz driver with good results.

Nick wrote:

I've owned the Basslink and found it disappointing.

Anyone else?

"Sean Scott" Its@secret wrote in message

"Nick" wrote in message
news
I've been having trouble googling anything useful about good free air
subs. I have a GS300 with a factory 10" sub, and want to keep all the
trunk space I can. Any recommendations? Amp will be bought according to
what the sub calls for...

Nick

Try one of these two, they are both taking up less than a cubic foot of
space and have built in amps.
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/re...s_reviews.html

Warren Bryant

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

In article ,
"Nick" wrote:

[...]

Just a note, I'm using a Tempest in an AP enclosure with very good
results also.
Nick

Thanks for the info. The sub is on the rear deck, with the back in the trunk
and the front of the speaker into the cabin. Will I have to seal up the
trunk vents or are they not big enough to affect the sound? Any opinions on
the Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 (or the DVC version)? Its advertised as a
free air sub, but I have yet to find a review of it in that application,
only for sealed enclosures...

Nick

"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote in message
"Nick" wrote:

[...]

Sean Scott

"Nick" wrote in message
I've owned the Basslink and found it disappointing.

Anyone else?

I havn't tried either but thought I would post the link since space was an
issue.

"Sean Scott" Its@secret wrote in message

"Nick" wrote in message
news
I've been having trouble googling anything useful about good free air
subs. I have a GS300 with a factory 10" sub, and want to keep all the
trunk space I can. Any recommendations? Amp will be bought according to
what the sub calls for...

Nick

Try one of these two, they are both taking up less than a cubic foot of
space and have built in amps.
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/re...s_reviews.html

Nick

Good point. It just seems like a waste for me to take up trunk space when I
have a factory IB sub in the car. I've been doing more searching and these
really are under-appreciated it seems.

I am looking for punchy bass, SQ stuff. The Basslink is fine for what it is,
but it doesn't go low enough to sound full, for my tastes anyway.

Nick

"Nick" wrote in message
I've owned the Basslink and found it disappointing.

Anyone else?

I havn't tried either but thought I would post the link since space was an
issue.

"Sean Scott" Its@secret wrote in message

"Nick" wrote in message
news I've been having trouble googling anything useful about good free air
subs. I have a GS300 with a factory 10" sub, and want to keep all the
trunk space I can. Any recommendations? Amp will be bought according to
what the sub calls for...

Nick

Try one of these two, they are both taking up less than a cubic foot of
space and have built in amps.
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/re...s_reviews.html

Goat Crapp

What about a low volume requirement sub, and then building a small enclosure
for it, to mount to the underside of the rear deck? it wouldn't intrude into
the trunk compartment much more than the actual sub, if you have the space to
make it wider than the sub itself.
-Steve, former 98 TJ