Kevin Collins

Default Guidance on using ProTools LE and Reason Adapted

Ok, I'm not a pro at recording, but I have been doing home recording on and off
for 15+ years. I have just acquired an MBox with ProTools LE 6.4 and the
standard bundle including PropellerHeads Reason (Adapted).

I'd like to use Reason's ReDrum to generate drum loops (or sequences of loops),
and then use ReWire from within ProTools to use the loops as the drums for my
ProTools session.

I can program the loops/sequences fine, I can record audio in ProTools, and I
can add Reason as a Plugin to a track. What I can't seem to do is figure out
how to tell Reason to start/stop playing the loops when I go into (or out of)
record mode in ProTools.

If someone can offer me a basic step-by-step, or point me to a how-to
somewhere, I would be really greatful! I know this probably is a simple thing
I'm missing, and might be MIDI-related, so I'm hoping someone here will
enlighten me.

Thanks for your time,

Kevin
Kevin Collins

In article , Kevin Collins wrote:
[...]

I'm having a hard time believing that after a full day, nobody in this group
has any advice for me regarding this problem... Any other groups you can think
of that might be better?

Thanks,

Kevin
Bobby P Longsocks

says...
I'm having a hard time believing that after a full day, nobody in this group
has any advice for me regarding this problem... Any other groups you can think
of that might be better?

Thanks,

Kevin

Hey Kevin, i replied last night, but I don't even see my post on here... it's
in my Outbox of my newsreader, looks like the news server ate it.

Check out all of Digi's Disk Flix, there's a tutorial on using Reason in there
as well.

http://www.digidesign.com/disk/diskflix/

the D.U.C is a great place to get quick responses to your posts regarding Pro-
tools, and any interactive software.

Just make sure you use the search engine, I'm certain alot of the information
you want, ia already up there, and most of the questions you have, will most
likely be answered a number of times.

http://duc.digidesign.com

Good Luck.

Bobby Longsocks
Kevin Collins

In article MPG.1c512ca448b94841989723@NNTP, Bobby P Longsocks wrote:
In article ,
says...
[...]

Hey Bobby,

I found DUC yesterday, did a bunch of searching, and then posted my
question there. However, last night I figured things out. Here is the solution
I posted the

-------

Well, I finally figured it out last night. Here are the required steps:

1) Add a new Stereo, Aux Input track to the PT session
2) In the Mix window, insert Reason as a Stereo Plug-in
3) Create your sequence on the Reason sequencer panel (or open a previously
saved Reason file with a sequence defined) 4) Adjust the Fader for your track
input - it defaults to being set full down
5) Click the "play" button in PT and your sequence will be triggered to start
(when you stop, it will stop)

I haven't yet tested in "record" mode, but I suspect the behavior will be the
same.

I think my orignal problem stemmed from playing with ReDrum in "loop" mode too
much - I was wanting PT to trigger a loop to start/stop and so (I think) did
not perform step #3.

It appears that when Reason is started as a plug-in, ReDrum's "pattern enable"
button is set to off, so this won't work. However, I suspect that if I had no
sequence but had the pattern enable button selected, it might just loop - I
need more time to play...

Hope this helps someone else.

Kevin

-------

I appreciate the Disk Flix link - I'll take a look at that very soon. There is
so much to learn with this stuff and I'll take all the tutorials I can get!

Thanks,

Kevin

Trading Softwa Reason, Protools, Ableton Live Chris Smedley Pro Audio 59 October 8th 04 08:21 PM
Trading Softwa Reason, Protools, Ableton Live Chris Smedley Pro Audio 0 October 5th 04 05:17 AM
Reason Adapted J.C. Scott Pro Audio 0 August 11th 04 07:49 PM
ProTools LE 6.4, Reason, and a Newbie TheYoYoMan Pro Audio 0 May 11th 04 12:03 PM
Whats up with Reason Adapted? Garrett Cox Pro Audio 1 September 25th 03 05:45 PM