WillStG

Default USB 2.0 Hard drives for audio?

A lot of the new Macs have a single firewire port but a couple of USB
2.0 ports, like the newer 20" Imacs and the just announced $499 1.25gHz
Mac Mini G4's.

So - has anyone has used hard drives for recording over USB 2.0
connections, and if so have you experienced any issues with using that
kind of a connection for audio? Anyone?

(While my Metric Halo Mobile I/O has been happy to share a firewire
buss with a harddrive, my DM24 is not, and the largest drive in a Mac
Mini is 80 gigs.)

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News / M-AES

Will,
I'm getting ready for a session this weekend using Pro Tools on a G5.
We bought a Lacie d2 with the triple interface to store the data. I
asked the engineer if he would be using the USB port to record directly
to the Lacie. He said no, he could only use the Firewire 800 port for
tracking.

DaveT

Lugnuts

WillStG wrote:
A lot of the new Macs have a single firewire port but a couple of USB
2.0 ports, like the newer 20" Imacs and the just announced $499

1.25gHz
Mac Mini G4's.

So - has anyone has used hard drives for recording over USB 2.0
connections, and if so have you experienced any issues with using

that
kind of a connection for audio? Anyone?

(While my Metric Halo Mobile I/O has been happy to share a firewire
buss with a harddrive, my DM24 is not, and the largest drive in a Mac
Mini is 80 gigs.)

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News / M-AES

I had bought a 2.5 5400 rpm drive for a PC laptop that was about to go
any way and pretty much died so I got an external, buss powered, USB
case for it. I bought the iBook 1.33 mhz machine that has the 2 usb
ports and the one firewire. I plan to test it for recording. I have so
far tested it just moving some files back and forth and it is plenty
fast.

My understanding is the difference between USB and firewire is very
similar to the difference between IDE/ATA and scsi. Firewire and SCSI
handle much more of the overhead at the drive and the buss/card level
where as USB and IDE use more sytems resources. Could bog a laptop down
a bit.

But I shall report back.

Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com