Default Proof Positive that Coast Recording is on Drugs

I have been in the market for a low cost cassette deck, I rarely use
cassettes any more like most people, but my Tascam 112R deck is not
working properly...it has been fixed before but the problem came back
so I thought I might just get another deck. Obviously I don't want to
drop a lot of cash on a cassette deck.

I had found a Tascam 112B on Ebay that didn't meet reserve, I emailed
them and they said they'd sell it to me for a bit less (as in under
$150).

So I've been considering that particuliar deck, mainly because it's
coming from a shop that serviced it and carries a 90 day warranty.

So looking around on Ebay some more I come across this one from Coast
Recording:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

$440 starting bid? Buy it now for $450?

Are these people on drugs?

These decks usually sell for $150 max, and you can buy a new one for
about $600.

I'm beginning to see now what people mean about Coast Recording not
having a clue about prices...do these people actually ever sell
anything?

Analogeezer

Scott Dorsey

I'm beginning to see now what people mean about Coast Recording not
having a clue about prices...do these people actually ever sell
anything?

Coast sometimes has reasonable prices on things like used reel flanges
and unusual cabling, but for equipment the prices are generally crazy.

I think they sell enough to guys who need a given piece of vintage gear
on short notice to be profitable, although with the big labels cutting
back, the number of huge budget projects that will be doing that sort of
thing is going to be reduced a lot.

They do not dicker. At least, not with me.

hank alrich

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Coast sometimes has reasonable prices on things like used reel flanges
and unusual cabling, but for equipment the prices are generally crazy.

I think they sell enough to guys who need a given piece of vintage gear
on short notice to be profitable, although with the big labels cutting
back, the number of huge budget projects that will be doing that sort of
thing is going to be reduced a lot.

I bought my MIO new from them; in that particular instance their pricing
was seriously competitve.

--
ha
Benjamin Maas

You go into their showroom and that is the general feeling I get. Sometimes
you can beat them down on price, but their idea of a deal often seems to be
List + 10%.

I will say their showroom is really fun to look at, though.

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio

Please remove "Nospam" from address for replies
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

audioguy

Hey Analogeezer,
I've got a couple Tascam 122mkII decks, and certainly don't need two
anymore. (Can't see myself making any cassette to cassette copies anytime
soon) I'd be glad to sell you one for a fair price. ($200?) I know the 122
is a step up from the 112, but I'm not sure exactly how, other than the
addition of the locator functions. It has both XLR and RCA in and out. The
thing sure is built like a tank.

Let me know...

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Scott Dorsey

audioguy wrote:
I've got a couple Tascam 122mkII decks, and certainly don't need two
anymore. (Can't see myself making any cassette to cassette copies anytime
soon) I'd be glad to sell you one for a fair price. ($200?) I know the 122
is a step up from the 112, but I'm not sure exactly how, other than the
addition of the locator functions. It has both XLR and RCA in and out. The
thing sure is built like a tank.

Flutter on the 122 is much lower. You need to replace belts often, though.
I strongly recommend the 122 over just about any other cassette deck out
there. The Naks might sound better, but the 122s are bulletproof.

Given that NONE of these machines are worth anything much today, you might
as well get the 122. I just gave one of them away to a puppet theatre this
fall....
RD Jones

audioguy wrote:
I know the 122 is a step up from the 112, but I'm not sure exactly

how,
other than the addition of the locator functions. It has both XLR and

RCA
in and out. The thing sure is built like a tank.

122 = 3 head, balanced I/O
112 = 2 head, unbalanced

rd

Roger Hughes

I have an Alesis Masterlink that I have used for years as a mixdown machine
for audio files made in my my Digital Performer Mac system. Usually I mix
everything down to the Masterlink and store it as a 24-bit file in the
Alesis format, which I then give to mastering houses, practically all of
which have the Masterlink machine. I also mix down to 16-bit files, using
my Waves plug-ins, for stuff that I master myself.

Question: My Masterlink is apparently on its last legs (hard drive
crashing, lots of weird messages, etc.) Before I repair/replace it, I am
inquiring into the storage/transfer/mixdown preferences for the pros out
there in the DAW market. I suppose I could do everything internally within
my Mac G5. Are there external machines (CD burners/drives, etc.) that
people use that have proven to be reliable and of high quality? Any
suggestions would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Roger

audioguy

If it is in fact a hard drive problem with your Masterlink (most likely),
than your best bet may be to just replace the hard drive yourself and
reinstall the software. I think it won't recognize anything bigger than a
32GB drive, so that shouldn't cost much at all.

[...]

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Question: My Masterlink is apparently on its last legs (hard drive
crashing, lots of weird messages, etc.)

Why not replace the disk drive and see if that solves your problem?
The Masterlink is a very handy device. If it can't support anything
larger than a 32 GB drive, you may have to do a little looking around
in order to find one that "small" but they're out there. The Mackie
hard disk recorders are like that (there's a BIOS update that extends
it to 120 GB) and people are buying good 30 GB drives from sources
that they usually find through Pricewatch.com. It's worth $50-75 to
try to restore the Masterlink.

Before I repair/replace it, I am
inquiring into the storage/transfer/mixdown preferences for the pros out
there in the DAW market.

A lot of people are mixing "in the box" straight to the computer's
disk drive, and the mixed files copied to CD or DVD as data, but if
you normally mix through a console connected to the Masterlink output,
there's still nothing wrong with that. Professional mastering shops
make a point of being able to accept just about any medium so you
really don't need to worry about what you send them. I'm pretty sure
that the only thing special about the Alesis CD24 format is a table of
contents (like on an audio CD) and there are actually real WAV files
written to the CD, so a Masterlink isn't required to read it, only to
play it like an audio CD.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
audioguy

FWIW, you can put up to a 100 gig drive in there if you want/need to, it
just will only recognize the first 32.

Here is the procedure, from Alesis site:
http://www.alesis.com/support/faqs/swappingdrives.pdf

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article writes:

[...]

ScotFraser

Basically they're a pretty knowledgable dealer of new stuff at
reasonable competetive prices (good) with a nice museum of old gear
that they'll never sell. They probalby don't really want to. BRBR

Yup. I've had one of the salespeople actually advise me not to consider buying
one of their used Schoeps bodies because you can find them elsewhere at much
better prices.

Scott Fraser
Paul Brown

I have done this on my Masterlink, just to increase the storage space
from stock. It is really pretty easy if you can use a screwdriver.
(Well...some people can't, so you never know.) Just make sure that you
have the Masterlink OS on a ISO9660 CD. If you have a Mac, then I
think you need to have Toast in order to do this (an not just the free
version). It is annoying, but I don't think MacOS will write a 9660
disk. Or at least I couldn't figure out how to do it. If you have the
OS disk (and the screwdriver) you are all set. Good luck.

Paul

Benjamin Maas

Yeah, same here with both their Neumann and Schoeps bodies. I found a KM
body there that they only wanted $300 for and I thought that was a deal
until I found out what the capsule cost... May as well buy the mic new for
that...

--Ben

--

"ScotFraser" wrote in message ...
Basically they're a pretty knowledgable dealer of new stuff at
reasonable competetive prices (good) with a nice museum of old gear
that they'll never sell. They probalby don't really want to. BRBR

Yup. I've had one of the salespeople actually advise me not to consider
buying
one of their used Schoeps bodies because you can find them elsewhere at
much
better prices.

Scott Fraser

hank alrich

Paul Brown wrote:

It is annoying, but I don't think MacOS will write a 9660
disk.

Incorrect. One can definitely write a 9660 disk on a Mac, even with the
OS-included Disc Burner gidget in both OS and OSX.

--
ha
DeserTBoB

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:36:10 -0800, "Benjamin Maas"
wrote:

Yeah, same here with both their Neumann and Schoeps bodies. I found a KM
body there that they only wanted $300 for and I thought that was a deal
until I found out what the capsule cost... May as well buy the mic new for
that... snip

For years, I've opined that Coast caters to the "fish" market...or, as
Burnum would put it, "There's a sucker born every minute." Why waste
time grinding on price with a knowledgable buyer, when there are
wannabe idiots running around in Hollywood who want to get what they
THINK is the gear that will make them the major domo of recording at
any price? Fleecing one sucker yields more profit than selling to
five or more smart guys.

I remember when Heider and others were dumping their early 440s, and
Coast had a bunch of them lined up in their "showroom." $3999 for a
beater 440A-2 with obviously worn heads and tweaked guides!!! The
440-4s were even more ridiculous. Granted, this was about 20 years
ago, but still, I could get an identical 440 from any number of
broadcasters or other private sources for about half that, in better
condition. The fact is, Coast SOLD them...eventually...and probably
got their price. That's their business model...hold out for the big
markup.

The last time I was in that place was because I had a job a customer
needed done ASAP on my 300-3 and my pinch roller was "iffy." I had
mistakenly thought I had a fresh spare, and didn't. Off to Coast, 5
minutes away, and voila...the $120 pinch roller...and it had obviously
been around for a LONG time. WTF??? Their $75 brake bands were
another hoot. I've never been back since. I did enjoy gawking at
those Altec A-2s over in the Scottsound staging room next door,
though. Visually intimidating in any studio!

dB