Benjamin Maas

Default FS- Nagra D

Nagra-D for sale- in good condition with one owner... Comes with 7" reel
adapters installed (it was used for classical music recording), and a
pelican case. There will likely be more accessories coming to the purchaser
(TC adapter, perhaps the Nadcom software) when the owner figures out where
he put them. Being a classical guy, he just never used them- they are
around, though.

This is an original Nagra D, not the newer D-II.

There is also a very large pile of tape for it available. It can be pickup
in LA or for those willing to pay for shipping... Most have been used once
or twice, but still have error rates down near zero. There is probably
upwards of 150 reels that we can set you up with.

$6000/obo.

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio

Please remove "Nospam" from address for replies

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.fifthcircle.com

Please remove "Nospam" from address for replies

martin griffith

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:31:25 -0800, in rec.audio.pro "Benjamin Maas"
wrote:

Nagra-D for sale- in good condition with one owner...

snip

what's the condition of the owner?

martin

Serious error.
All shortcuts have disappeared.
Screen. Mind. Both are blank.
Benjamin Maas

"martin griffith" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:31:25 -0800, in rec.audio.pro "Benjamin Maas"

Nagra-D for sale- in good condition with one owner...

snip

what's the condition of the owner?

The Nagra's probably in better shape...

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.fifthcircle.com

Please remove "Nospam" from address for replies

What sort of tape does a nagra-D use? Is it still available?

Scott Dorsey

What sort of tape does a nagra-D use? Is it still available?

It uses Ampex 467, or the Scotch or DIC equivalents, none of which are
currently available.

It's an oxide tape that is the same formulation as used on the DASH machines,
just a different width. I suspect you could slit down a high-band
instrumentation tape to work on these machines in a pinch.

Benjamin Maas

We always used Sony tape (I can't remember the number on it)... For anybody
that is interested in buying it, there is probably somewhere in the
neighborhood of 150 reels of tape that has been used once or twice. They
either need to pick it up from us or pay for shipping of two cardboard boxes
that are each about 3-4 feet cubed (ie very heavy). The Nagra has an
amazing error-detection scheme on it and I found it rare that there were
ever errors on tapes unless somebody did something *really* stupid.

It is a 4 track, helical scan machine and there are a number of options on
how you can record including duplicating the signal on 1&2 on tracks 3&4 for
extra safety. There are also 4 mic pres that are not bad at all that can
provide 48v phantom as well as t-powering.

I would have to trust what Scott said about tape availability as we haven't
purchased tape for this sucker in quite some time.

--Ben

--

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message ...
wrote:
What sort of tape does a nagra-D use? Is it still available?

It uses Ampex 467, or the Scotch or DIC equivalents, none of which are
currently available.

It's an oxide tape that is the same formulation as used on the DASH
machines,
just a different width. I suspect you could slit down a high-band
instrumentation tape to work on these machines in a pinch.

Scott Dorsey

Benjamin Maas wrote:

I would have to trust what Scott said about tape availability as we haven't
purchased tape for this sucker in quite some time.

Considering that you can't get 1/4" analogue tape or reliable DAT tape now
either, I'm not sure I'd even worry.

Nagra, Uher ... portable open reel recorders ... questions ..... Daniel Pro Audio 34 November 12th 04 08:28 AM
Nagra III questions Bill Pro Audio 11 March 2nd 04 02:30 PM
NR on Nagra III recorders? Chris Del Faro Pro Audio 8 September 2nd 03 01:28 AM
Nagra III - servicing? IP Tech 1 August 27th 03 10:24 PM
Nagra III - servicing? IP Pro Audio 4 August 25th 03 07:05 PM