J Jenkins

Default Cool Edit multitrack problem

OK, solved this one - the function I wanted was "snapping". Next
question: suppose I have a block (i.e a section of a waveform) in the
multitrack window. Is there a way of adjusting the beginning or end of
the block? For example, if the block begins a second later than I
decide I want, can I shift the start point to include the missing
second from the original waveform?

Hope this makes sense.
Steve King

"J Jenkins" wrote in message
om...
OK, solved this one - the function I wanted was "snapping". Next
question: suppose I have a block (i.e a section of a waveform) in the
multitrack window. Is there a way of adjusting the beginning or end of
the block? For example, if the block begins a second later than I
decide I want, can I shift the start point to include the missing
second from the original waveform?

Hope this makes sense.

Sure. Delete the block in multitrack. Go to the original file. Remark the
block with new in and out points and re-insert it in the multitrack. Or,
always put segments of a file into the multi-track with plenty of pad on
each end, then use the envelope to mute what you don't want.

Steve King

Bob Cain

bg wrote:
Right click on the waveform and drag it.

That moves the whole clip in time within the mix.

I think he wants to drag on the edge of the clip and have
more or less of the file from which it comes be exposed
without moving what is there in time. I can't remember
whether Audition can do that or not.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
James Perrett

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:54:57 -0600, Steve King
wrote:

"J Jenkins" wrote in message
om...
OK, solved this one - the function I wanted was "snapping". Next
question: suppose I have a block (i.e a section of a waveform) in the
multitrack window. Is there a way of adjusting the beginning or end of
the block? For example, if the block begins a second later than I
decide I want, can I shift the start point to include the missing
second from the original waveform?

Hope this makes sense.

Sure. Delete the block in multitrack. Go to the original file. Remark
the
block with new in and out points and re-insert it in the multitrack. Or,
always put segments of a file into the multi-track with plenty of pad on
each end, then use the envelope to mute what you don't want.

Steve King

From this answer I guess you're still using Cool Edit Pro version 1.
Version 2 upwards allow you to simply drag the end of the block to change
the start or end point. The mouse pointer will show two vertical lines
when you've got it over the appropriate place to do this.

Cheers.

James.

James Perrett

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 00:50:16 -0800, Bob Cain
wrote:

bg wrote:
Right click on the waveform and drag it.

That moves the whole clip in time within the mix.

I think he wants to drag on the edge of the clip and have more or less
of the file from which it comes be exposed without moving what is there
in time. I can't remember whether Audition can do that or not.

Yes - you can do this in all versions of CEP/Audition from 2 upwards. I
remember asking Syntrillium for this feature at the AES show in 1999 - up
until then they had never thought anyone would want to do this although,
if they had walked along to the Protools stand, they would have seen the
same feature demonstrated every hour.

Cheers.

James.
Steve King

"James Perrett" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:54:57 -0600, Steve King
wrote:

"J Jenkins" wrote in message
om...
OK, solved this one - the function I wanted was "snapping". Next
question: suppose I have a block (i.e a section of a waveform) in the
multitrack window. Is there a way of adjusting the beginning or end of
the block? For example, if the block begins a second later than I
decide I want, can I shift the start point to include the missing
second from the original waveform?

Hope this makes sense.

Sure. Delete the block in multitrack. Go to the original file. Remark
the
block with new in and out points and re-insert it in the multitrack. Or,
always put segments of a file into the multi-track with plenty of pad on
each end, then use the envelope to mute what you don't want.

Steve King

From this answer I guess you're still using Cool Edit Pro version 1.
Version 2 upwards allow you to simply drag the end of the block to change
the start or end point. The mouse pointer will show two vertical lines
when you've got it over the appropriate place to do this.

Cheers.

James.

Thanks. I'm using Adobe Audition latest version. Just tried out the extend
feature you describe. I've long included in clips moved to the multitrack
window a little heads and tails. Frequently programming I produce uses
source material that varies widely in quality and character, so a dissolve
from one clip to the next is helpful. This feature will make that process
simpler.

Steve King

James Perrett

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:08:16 -0600, Steve King
wrote:

Thanks. I'm using Adobe Audition latest version. Just tried out the
extend
feature you describe. I've long included in clips moved to the
multitrack
window a little heads and tails. Frequently programming I produce uses
source material that varies widely in quality and character, so a
dissolve
from one clip to the next is helpful. This feature will make that
process
simpler.

Steve King

Have you found the crossfade feature yet? That was something that I only
found recently but I now use it extensively to get instant, good sounding
fades that are much better than the simple linear fades that you produce
with manual envelope editing. Just highlight the area to be faded, right
click, select crossfade and then choose the fade characteristic that you
want.

Cheers.

James.