nospam

Default compressor routing - cymbals and kick

Someone is mixing a track for me and there's an entrance of the high hat
cymbals before the kick enters. The volume of the cymbals seems to drop when
the kick enters. Is this a perceptual thing or is the compressor taking it
down with the kick? How should this be bussed?
thanks
ch
Neil Rutman

Need more info. Is the hi hat and kik (and other drums) all on 2 tracks or
on separate tracks? Are all the drum tracks currently bussed to a stereo
pair with a stereo compressor on it. What system are you using for mix
down?

Neil R

"nospam" wrote in message
Someone is mixing a track for me and there's an entrance of the high hat
cymbals before the kick enters. The volume of the cymbals seems to drop
when
the kick enters. Is this a perceptual thing or is the compressor taking
it
down with the kick? How should this be bussed?
thanks
ch

Mike Caffrey

nospam wrote:
Someone is mixing a track for me and there's an entrance of the high

hat
cymbals before the kick enters. The volume of the cymbals seems to

drop when
the kick enters. Is this a perceptual thing or is the compressor

taking it
down with the kick? How should this be bussed?
thanks
ch

It's possible that the drummer played that way, but I bet it's from the
compression. There are lots of ways to fix the problem. Don't use the
compressor, Take the track out of the subgroup (if that's how your set
up). Use less compression. Put the high pass filter in the compressor's
detector in so that it reacts less to the kick. Make the attack time
slower. Use fader automation to either lower the high hat and then
bring it to where you have it so that it appears to be the same level.
Boost the hi hat when the kick comes in. or, combine a few of these
ideas.

Blind Joni

Someone is mixing a track for me and there's an entrance of the high
hat
cymbals before the kick enters. The volume of the cymbals seems to

drop when
the kick enters.

I usually don't include overheads in a drum subgroup..for an effect maybe but
not for natural cymbals sounds.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Drum experience Sidhu Pro Audio 35 December 24th 04 06:04 PM
Kick the compression habit no useful info Audio Opinions 10 August 2nd 04 11:16 PM
taming cymbals while compressing drums? William J. Pro Audio 6 June 8th 04 07:35 AM
taming cymbals while compressing drums? William J. Pro Audio 0 June 7th 04 11:57 PM