Nick

Default Hardwood or Ceramic?

I have a home studio with floors covered in carpet. I am building a drum
riser and can either cover it in ceramic/stone (very porous looking, much of
the tile is covered in holes, which are filled when grouted) leftover from a
house project, or just buy hardwood. Presuming flutter echo isn't an issue
with the ceiling and room, would ceramic sound as good or better then
hardwood? The usual close mic'ed rock drum sound.

Nick

WillStG

John Hardy wrote:

Whatever you do, please, oh please, do NOT use PERGO or any of its
equivalents. I HATE that stuff. Drop a coin or a key on it and it

makes
a terribly harsh and piercing sound due to the hardness of the

surface
(I think). Did I say I HATE that stuff? I HATE IT.

What would you use John? Any cost efficient ideas?

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy - Fox News
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom

Scott Dorsey

WillStG wrote:
John Hardy wrote:

Whatever you do, please, oh please, do NOT use PERGO or any of its
equivalents. I HATE that stuff. Drop a coin or a key on it and it

makes
a terribly harsh and piercing sound due to the hardness of the

surface
(I think). Did I say I HATE that stuff? I HATE IT.

What would you use John? Any cost efficient ideas?

That's another weird thing. The cheap rubberwood parquet sheets cost
less than Pergo, and they look and sound better. I don't know if they
wear as well.

John Hardy

John Hardy wrote:

Whatever you do, please, oh please, do NOT use PERGO or any of its
equivalents. I HATE that stuff. Drop a coin or a key on it and it

makes

a terribly harsh and piercing sound due to the hardness of the

surface

(I think). Did I say I HATE that stuff? I HATE IT.

What would you use John? Any cost efficient ideas?

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy - Fox News
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom

Just ANYTHING BUT PERGO! Asphalt would be better.

It's a good question though - What would give the best sound
characteristics and be within budget. I don't like the prefinished wood
floors either. They look tacky to me with lots of short pieces. I would
rather use 3/4" thick oak or maple or whatever and finish it on site.
There are lots of alternatives in hardwoods these days. If that is what
you want, a quick reference site might be www.lumberliquidators.com to
see some of the stuff that is available. Ceramic tile might be too
bright as well. You can always add a rug when needed. Throw in some pillows.

Suragite made the point that the drummer may put a rug down anyway. Or
the hardwood may get trashed in a hurry with drum spikes and such. It's
a small enough area that you could always do it over. One more thing: I
hate Pergo.

John Hardy
The John Hardy Co.
www.johnhardyco.com
Neil Henderson

"John Hardy" wrote in message
John Hardy wrote:

Just ANYTHING BUT PERGO! Asphalt would be better.

Would that be wet asphalt, or dry asphalt?

It's a good question though - What would give the best sound
characteristics and be within budget.

Parquet ain't bad - I've done drums plenty of times on parquet flooring, and
you can get that for about a buck per square foot usually.

Suragite made the point that the drummer may put a rug down anyway. Or the
hardwood may get trashed in a hurry with drum spikes and such. It's a
small enough area that you could always do it over.

That's another advantage to parquet, too - if you need to refinish/patch a
small section, it usually doesn't show as apparently as it would if you had
to do the same thing to a nice floor of clear maple, for example.

One more thing: I hate Pergo.

You can't refinish it, either... it's kinda difficult to sand sawdust & hope
for a good outcome at the same time.

Neil

Neil Henderson

"playon" wrote in message

Have you checked out the new flooring products made from bamboo?

VERY expensive - at least the ones I've seen. Found anything for a
reasonable price? Say... less than $3 a square foot? It's supposed to be
very durable, anyway.

Here's a thought - if the giant Pandas are so rare because all they eat is
bamboo & all the bamboo is dying out because mankind is encroaching on the
Panda's territory, how is it that there's just recently been enough bamboo
to harvest for flooring purposes outside of third-world countries?

Another thought - bamboo is so low in nutrients that the Panda has to spend
almost all it's waking hours eating just to stay alive, and hence mating
becomes the last thing on it's mind... shouldn't said animal be allowed to
go extinct for being that stupid in the first place?

Neil Henderson

Allen Corneau

On 1/10/05 7:59 PM, in article ,
"Neil Henderson" wrote:

Have you checked out the new flooring products made from bamboo?

VERY expensive - at least the ones I've seen. Found anything for a
reasonable price? Say... less than $3 a square foot?

Well, www.Ifloor.com has it from $2.19 to $2.79!

It's supposed to be very durable, anyway.

Bamboo is harder than maple, so I think it would hold up very well. Also,
bamboo is a grass, not a wood. It re-grows to it's full size in about four
years, making it a better renewable resource than traditional wood.

The other day I saw some cutting boards made from bamboo. Very cool looking
with the "boards" running flat, on their sides, and even on end. They were
on the pricey side, though.

I think the price will come down as more products are made from bamboo, and
more people buy them.

Allen
--
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer

hank alrich

Neil Henderson wrote:

"playon" wrote...

Have you checked out the new flooring products made from bamboo?

VERY expensive - at least the ones I've seen. Found anything for a
reasonable price? Say... less than $3 a square foot? It's supposed to be
very durable, anyway.

My mom-in-law just had a floor done in bamboo in a remodel. The place
isn't ready for movin' into yet, so I can't comment on its esthetic
appeal or acoustic properties, but firstly, she is a skinflint, so she
must have found a deal; secondly, she's no spring chicken so if she can
find a deal, so could you; and thirdly, the stuff is so hard it makes
rock maple seem like balsa wood. I look forward to tromping over it on
the way to one of her amazing meals. g

Here's a thought - if the giant Pandas are so rare because all they eat is
bamboo & all the bamboo is dying out because mankind is encroaching on the
Panda's territory, how is it that there's just recently been enough bamboo
to harvest for flooring purposes outside of third-world countries?

Bamboo grows in many more places than just where Pandas hang out and up.
It'll prove to be a major crop oneday, even in the US. Mark my words.
The stuff is far too productive to be ignored.

Another thought - bamboo is so low in nutrients that the Panda has to spend
almost all it's waking hours eating just to stay alive, and hence mating
becomes the last thing on it's mind... shouldn't said animal be allowed to
go extinct for being that stupid in the first place?

It's probably higher in nutrients than coffee or Krispy Kreme, and there
is a least one species that will eat that kind of stuff. As for
stupidity, we work all day to get stuff to eat; a panda just eats all
day. You do the math. g

--
ha
Scott Dorsey

Neil Henderson wrote:

Here's a thought - if the giant Pandas are so rare because all they eat is
bamboo & all the bamboo is dying out because mankind is encroaching on the
Panda's territory, how is it that there's just recently been enough bamboo
to harvest for flooring purposes outside of third-world countries?

I don't know, but I sure have enough white bamboo in my backyard for as
many pandas as you can send over. It _is_ good to eat, but only if you
get the shoots when they first come out, and I am usually too late.

Another thought - bamboo is so low in nutrients that the Panda has to spend
almost all it's waking hours eating just to stay alive, and hence mating
becomes the last thing on it's mind... shouldn't said animal be allowed to
go extinct for being that stupid in the first place?

Bamboo shoots always had a slight bakelite taste to me. Maybe what happens
to pandas is phenolic poisoning of some kind? Hmm... I wonder what pandas
taste like...
playon

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 01:59:52 GMT, "Neil Henderson"
wrote:

"playon" wrote in message
.. .

Have you checked out the new flooring products made from bamboo?

VERY expensive - at least the ones I've seen. Found anything for a
reasonable price? Say... less than $3 a square foot? It's supposed to be
very durable, anyway.

There are different thicknesses and grades... but bamboo is farmed and
grows like crazy, you'd think if it becomes more popular prices would
come down. It's an easy resource to renew compared to growing a tree
for 50 or 100 years. Even at $3 a foot, isn't that a whole lot cheaper
than say oak or other hardwoods?

Here's a thought - if the giant Pandas are so rare because all they eat is
bamboo & all the bamboo is dying out because mankind is encroaching on the
Panda's territory, how is it that there's just recently been enough bamboo
to harvest for flooring purposes outside of third-world countries?

See the above.

Al
hank alrich

playon wrote:

(hank alrich) wrote:

My mom-in-law just had a floor done in bamboo in a remodel. The place
isn't ready for movin' into yet, so I can't comment on its esthetic
appeal or acoustic properties, but firstly, she is a skinflint, so she
must have found a deal; secondly, she's no spring chicken so if she can
find a deal, so could you; and thirdly, the stuff is so hard it makes
rock maple seem like balsa wood.

I'm wondering if it might be *too* hard & reflective as far as
acoustic properties.

Now that's an interesting angle, though I'm not well enough informed
about the mechanics of air particle interaction at a boundary to make a
sensible remark. But I'm led to wonder whether at some degree of surface
smoothness the overall acoustic result could depend more upon the
rigidity of the surface as determined by that which supports it than on
the hardness of the surface itself.

Ethan? Anybody? (Being a dumbass guitar player presents limits...)

--
ha
Neil Henderson

"hank alrich" wrote in message
.. .
playon wrote:

(hank alrich) wrote:

My mom-in-law just had a floor done in bamboo in a remodel. The place
isn't ready for movin' into yet, so I can't comment on its esthetic
appeal or acoustic properties, but firstly, she is a skinflint, so she
must have found a deal; secondly, she's no spring chicken so if she can
find a deal, so could you; and thirdly, the stuff is so hard it makes
rock maple seem like balsa wood.

I'm wondering if it might be *too* hard & reflective as far as
acoustic properties.

Now that's an interesting angle, though I'm not well enough informed
about the mechanics of air particle interaction at a boundary to make a
sensible remark.

Yeah you are... does it sound "better" or "worse" to you than some other
surface? That's all you need to know.

But I'm led to wonder whether at some degree of surface
smoothness the overall acoustic result could depend more upon the
rigidity of the surface as determined by that which supports it than on
the hardness of the surface itself.

My completely subjective guess it that it's a combination of all those
things. A maple floor with no finish on concrete with a vapor barrier will
sound different than a maple floor with a hard acrylic finish on concrete
with a vapor barrier, which will sound different than a maple floor with no
finish on 3/4" plywood base, which will sound different than a maple floor
with a hard acrylic finish on a 3/4" plywood base.

It would be pretty impractical to re-floor the same room four times in order
to measure this effect, but my money's on "different".

Neil Henderson

Chris Hornbeck

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 05:25:54 GMT, "Neil Henderson"
wrote:

"hank alrich" wrote in message
. ..

But I'm led to wonder whether at some degree of surface
smoothness the overall acoustic result could depend more upon the
rigidity of the surface as determined by that which supports it than on
the hardness of the surface itself.

My completely subjective guess it that it's a combination of all those
things. A maple floor with no finish on concrete with a vapor barrier will
sound different than a maple floor with a hard acrylic finish on concrete
with a vapor barrier, which will sound different than a maple floor with no
finish on 3/4" plywood base, which will sound different than a maple floor
with a hard acrylic finish on a 3/4" plywood base.

I know From Nothing about floors, and just wanted to comment about
how amazing it is that we can hear them so well. Walking across one
gives us extra clues, but we hear ceilings really well too.

It's a beautiful and mysterious world.

Chris Hornbeck
"Conscious that we must have sprung from somewhere, we are
lured to the riddle of our origins." -Malcolm W. Browne
Tracy Wintermute

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 03:00:58 GMT, (hank alrich)
wrote:

Bamboo grows in many more places than just where Pandas hang out and up.
It'll prove to be a major crop oneday, even in the US. Mark my words.
The stuff is far too productive to be ignored.

Oh yeah. Before I moved here, at my old micro-farm there was a stand
of bamboo about 40 years old. When I first moved there, I could hardly
believe the stuff grew around here. The stuff is nearly uncontrollable
once it is established (OK, that's almost an exaggeration, because you
can mow the shoots as they come up... but they'll keep trying.)
Spreads via rhizomes, and ultimately completely takes over all
vegetation within its stand. And, it is almost an 'evergreen' in that
even though the leaves will somewhat brown-up during the winter, it is
not deciduous.

The old man who sold me the place told me that, for giggles, he had
planted a chunk of root he brought back from (I forget where, in Asia)
just to see what would happen. He said that for the first three or
four years it just kind of grew a little bit, and didn't spread at
all... then, after that, it started to spread like crazy.

The stuff makes a wonderful four-season 'screen' after the stand
thickens up. Really cuts down the dust clouds from a dirt road,
eventually completely blocks visibility and somewhat reduces noise as
well. Wish I'd brought some with me when I moved.

Thanks for reminding me of one of my big woulda, shoulda, couldas..
;-)

====================
Tracy Wintermute

Rushcreek Ranch
====================
Takeshi Yamashita

On 2005-01-10 01:11:59 -0500, "Nick"
said:

I have a home studio with floors covered in carpet. I am building a
drum riser and can either cover it in ceramic/stone (very porous
looking, much of the tile is covered in holes, which are filled when
grouted) leftover from a house project, or just buy hardwood. Presuming
flutter echo isn't an issue with the ceiling and room, would ceramic
sound as good or better then hardwood? The usual close mic'ed rock drum
sound.

Nick

Wow... this discussion has gotten way off topic with no answer for this
poor guy.

Bottom line - Carpet it.
1) It will make life much easier for the drummers in your life. (think
of kick-drum slide etc.)
2) Having a 'live' drum sound is great, but achieve it with the other
surfaces in the room.
3) Any sort of hard and flat surface that close to your mics will give
you quick initial reflections, even in your close mics.

-Tak

EganMedia

I'm wondering if it might be *too* hard & reflective as far as
acoustic properties. BRBR

I doubt it. We have a stained concrete floor in one of our studios and it
sounds great.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
Steve King

"EganMedia" wrote in message
I'm wondering if it might be *too* hard & reflective as far as
acoustic properties. BRBR

I doubt it. We have a stained concrete floor in one of our studios and it
sounds great.

What kind of stain? What color? Oops. Lost my mind there for a moment.

Steve King

Arny Krueger

"Steve King" wrote in message

"EganMedia" wrote in message
I'm wondering if it might be *too* hard & reflective as far as
acoustic properties. BRBR

I doubt it. We have a stained concrete floor in one of our studios
and it sounds great.

What kind of stain? What color? Oops. Lost my mind there for a
moment.

I heard about stained concrete about a month ago and searched google. I
found some very cool-looking stuff.

Scott Dorsey

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Steve King" wrote in message

"EganMedia" wrote in message
I'm wondering if it might be *too* hard & reflective as far as
acoustic properties. BRBR

I doubt it. We have a stained concrete floor in one of our studios
and it sounds great.

What kind of stain? What color? Oops. Lost my mind there for a
moment.

I heard about stained concrete about a month ago and searched google. I
found some very cool-looking stuff.

Mine has been stained for years. Mostly with motor oil.
EganMedia

What kind of stain? What color? Oops. Lost my mind there for a
moment.

I heard about stained concrete about a month ago and searched google. I
found some very cool-looking stuff. BRBR

The stuff we used is made by Kemiko. It's tan/brown with a bit of red. I think
they call it Cola. It's not as dark as I had originally thought it would be,
but I think I like it better as it turned out. Check out Fran Manzella's
studio design portfolio (www.fmdesign.com) for shots of my floor as well as
Trillium Lane's, Blue Jay's and some others.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
ScotFraser

Here's a thought - if the giant Pandas are so rare because all they eat is
bamboo & all the bamboo is dying out because mankind is encroaching on the
Panda's territory, how is it that there's just recently been enough bamboo
to harvest for flooring purposes outside of third-world countries?
BRBR

Bamboo grows like a weed. There is absolutely no danger of it ever becoming
endangered or rare. It does not require a tropical climate. A large stand of it
is growing on a north-facing (i.e. non-sunny) hillside just a few hundred feet
from me here in Los Angeles. No worries, there is an endless supply available.

Scott Fraser
playon

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:44:20 -0600, "Steve King"
wrote:

"EganMedia" wrote in message
I'm wondering if it might be *too* hard & reflective as far as
acoustic properties. BRBR

I doubt it. We have a stained concrete floor in one of our studios and it
sounds great.

What kind of stain? What color? Oops. Lost my mind there for a moment.

More importantly, was it stained by anyone famous?

Al