mark

Default Hooking up a mackie pro vlz 1202 mixer to a LynxOne soundcard

I'm not sure how to hook up my Mackie pro vlz 1202 mixer to my LynxOne
soundcard . The LynxOne has two female xlr input cables and two male xlr
output cables.
I don't have any of the cables. So I went to my local music store to buy
some cables.

The guy told me I should use the following:

1.Two male xlr to female xlr cables:
These go from the male xlr main outs of my mixer to the female xlr inputs of
my soundcard.

2.Two female xlr to 1/4 cables:
These go from the stereo line inputs 5-6 of my mixer to the male xlr outputs
of my soundcard.

3.One male xlr to female xlr cable:
To connect the microphone to one of the mic input channels on my mixer.

Is this correct?

Thanks,
Mark

Paul Stamler

"mark" wrote in message
.. .
I'm not sure how to hook up my Mackie pro vlz 1202 mixer to my LynxOne
soundcard . The LynxOne has two female xlr input cables and two male xlr
output cables.
I don't have any of the cables. So I went to my local music store to buy
some cables.

The guy told me I should use the following:

1.Two male xlr to female xlr cables:
These go from the male xlr main outs of my mixer to the female xlr inputs

of
my soundcard.

2.Two female xlr to 1/4 cables:
These go from the stereo line inputs 5-6 of my mixer to the male xlr

outputs
of my soundcard.

3.One male xlr to female xlr cable:
To connect the microphone to one of the mic input channels on my mixer.

Is this correct?

By some miracle, yes.

Where is this music store? I want to send the information to "Believe It Or
Not".

Peace,
Paul

mark

Hi Paul,
The music store is Steve's Music in Montreal, Canada:
http://www.stevesmusic.com/

I sense a slight sacarcism so I'm not sure how to take your comment.
Are you saying it's correct and that your just suprised that employers of a
music store would get it right?

Thanks,
Mark

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message
"mark" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

hank alrich

mark wrote:

The music store is Steve's Music in Montreal, Canada:
http://www.stevesmusic.com/

I've heard good things about that place, evn though I am far away from
there.

I sense a slight sacarcism so I'm not sure how to take your comment.

Take it with a grin and a short contra dance.

Are you saying it's correct and that your just suprised that employers of a
music store would get it right?

Yes, that's what Paul meant; nine times out of ten r.a.p gets cries for
help from someone who just got sold the wrong thing, usually by a
salesperson at some large chain store.

Good on Steve's, and good for you.

--
ha
playon

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 16:57:28 -0500, "mark"
wrote:

The guy told me I should use the following:

1.Two male xlr to female xlr cables:
These go from the male xlr main outs of my mixer to the female xlr inputs of
my soundcard.

2.Two female xlr to 1/4 cables:
These go from the stereo line inputs 5-6 of my mixer to the male xlr outputs
of my soundcard.

3.One male xlr to female xlr cable:
To connect the microphone to one of the mic input channels on my mixer.

Um, notice that all five of these cables are the same thing... a
standard XLR mic cable. The guy would be correct.

Al

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

The guy told me I should use the following:

1.Two male xlr to female xlr cables:
These go from the male xlr main outs of my mixer to the female xlr inputs of
my soundcard.

That will do for getting the signal out of the mixer and into the
sound card.

2.Two female xlr to 1/4 cables:
These go from the stereo line inputs 5-6 of my mixer to the male xlr outputs
of my soundcard.

That will do for getting the playback of the sound card into your
mixer.

3.One male xlr to female xlr cable:
To connect the microphone to one of the mic input channels on my mixer.

That will do for connecting the mic to the mixer.

Just remember to mute channels 5-6 when you're recording, and mute the
microphone channel when you're not recording.

There's really a couple of better ways to hook it up, though. Rather
than connect the sound card output to two of the mixer's channel
inputs, connect it to the tape inputs (RCA jacks). That way you can
listen to the playback by pushing the Tape button on the Control Room
Source section of the mixer and it won't send the playback back to the
sound card input. An alternate thing you could do, using the cables
and the hookup that you have, is to push the MUTE button on Channel
5-6, then push the ALT3-4 button in the Control Room Source section.
That way, the playback from the sound card will go to the headphones
and control room output but won't get fed back into the card's input.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Ben Bradley

On 10 Jan 2005 07:51:59 -0500, (Mike Rivers)
wrote:

In article
writes:

The guy told me I should use the following:

1.Two male xlr to female xlr cables:
These go from the male xlr main outs of my mixer to the female xlr inputs of
my soundcard.

No one asked the "What's your application/what are you doing with
it?" question. This is the "one size fits all" wiring, but if you're
recording the signals from two microphones, you can bypass a lot of
the electronics. Even if you're panning them or mixing them to mono
while recording, it may be better to send each to its own soundcard
channel and do the panning/mixing later, either in the Mackie (so the
signal only makes one pass through the Mackie mix bus rather than two
passes) or in sofware.

That will do for getting the signal out of the mixer and into the
sound card.

That's the way to do it if you're "pre-mixing" several things
(synthesizers, four mics on a drum set, etc) while recording, but no
one has yet mentioned going from the 1202 mic preamp out via the
channel insert to the soundcard input (using a 1/4 phone to male XLR
for each channel). If you're going to record one or two mics at a
time, this is the way to hook it up so it bypasses the EQ and mix bus
electronics that Scott and others say sounds bad. Last I listened I
still couldn't hear the difference, but I can hear the difference in
other things I couldn't years ago, so I've learned to trust such
statements.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

mark

Well my present intention is to do some recording with my kawai k5000s and
yamaha dx7 keyboards, arp odyssey synthesizer, electric guitar, bass guitar,
and earthworks m30bx microphone on my computer via the mackie pro vlz 1202
mixer and LynxOne soundcard.
I also want the convinience of having everything permanently plugged into
the mixer without having to unplug things. I also what to be try out some
software synths (to get some analog synth sounds, b3organ,rhodes, etc)
using the kawai as a controller (we want to get a new keyboard controller
eventually). I'll be installing a music production software like cubase sx
or sonar or whatever. I also want to do some field recording of stuff and
shove this in the computer and play around with it for whatever I find
interesting. Eventually I'd like to get some sound modules (like the access
b or c, waldorf microwave 1), effect boxes (I own a digitech rp1 - may
decide to get others or use software based ones), speakers/amps (presently
I'm using my monsoon mm702 computer speakers), monitor speakers (thinking
maybe the yorkville ysm1p or behringer truth b2031a), headphones (like the
akg 240m or s: not sure which; I think the m version (600ohms) requires an
amp (btw,can I use a JVC AX4 class A amplifier (rated 60w p/c) for these
headphones)) . I'm new to this so I'm kind of stumbling my way along like a
blind person feeling his way through unknown territory with a cane.

"Ben Bradley" wrote in message
On 10 Jan 2005 07:51:59 -0500, (Mike Rivers)
wrote:

In article