Sanbar

Default Bass Recording

I'm not a bass player, but I play one in my home studio. I'm looking for
suggestions for direct in bass to get the best sound possible. Any hardware
units do a good job with this. Any other recording techniques would be
greatly appreciated. I'm using a Paris system and have the UAD-1 card if
that is useful.

Thanks as always.

hank alrich

Sanbar wrote:

I'm not a bass player, but I play one in my home studio. I'm looking for
suggestions for direct in bass to get the best sound possible. Any hardware
units do a good job with this. Any other recording techniques would be
greatly appreciated. I'm using a Paris system and have the UAD-1 card if
that is useful.

Thanks as always.

You want one of Bruce Seifried's Evil Twin DI's. He will have a batch
ready soon, based on his comments in another thread. Find that post and
get in line; maybe they're not all already commited to buyers. The thing
is beyond "good", it's actually _great_.

Some pieces of gear just keep amazing me, and the Evil Twin is one of
them.

--
ha
jtougas

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 17:32:58 GMT, "Sanbar" wrote:

I'm not a bass player, but I play one in my home studio. I'm looking for
suggestions for direct in bass to get the best sound possible. Any hardware
units do a good job with this. Any other recording techniques would be
greatly appreciated. I'm using a Paris system and have the UAD-1 card if
that is useful.

Thanks as always.

I don't know how much the Evil Twin goes for, but for $189 new (a bit
less on ebay) you can get a SansAmp Bass Driver DI, and those sounds
pretty damn good.

Semit-OT: caught a local band performance on New Year's, an 80's cover
band called Flux Capacitor. The two guitarists used PODs, and the
bassist used one of these. The bass sound was nice and tight.

It was kind of weird looking at a stage without amplifiers, but I got
used to it.
jtougas

listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go

e.e. cummings
hank alrich

jtougas wrote:

I don't know how much the Evil Twin goes for,

And I'm not up on curent pricing; they are not inexpensive. g

but for $189 new (a bit less on ebay) you can get a SansAmp Bass Driver
DI, and those sounds pretty damn good.

I agree; and the Baggs paracoustic DI also works a treat for what it
costs, about the same as the SansAmp.

--
ha

RD Jones

Sanbar wrote:
I'm not a bass player, but I play one in my home studio. I'm looking

for
suggestions for direct in bass to get the best sound possible. Any

hardware
units do a good job with this. Any other recording techniques would

be
greatly appreciated. I'm using a Paris system and have the UAD-1 card

if
that is useful.

Thanks as always.

I recently did some tracking playing my Fender Jazz at a
home studio here in Nashville. (Much better equipped place
than mine)*. Being old-fashioned I usually like to mic up
an amp even on bass. We used an Avalon 737 for the bass
and everyone was pleased with the results. I have also
seen others use Avalon's DI unit for lining in the bass
with good results.

RD

* except for the Mackie board, I have a Soundcraft.
but that's a whole 'nother thread.

playon

Sure it can work... which one do you have the NV or the MP2? The
answer to how to get a great sounding bass track is really to get a
great bass player.

Al

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 01:24:58 GMT, "Sanbar" wrote:

I've got a Great River Preamp. Would this work as well or not.

"hank alrich" wrote in message
. ..
jtougas wrote:

I don't know how much the Evil Twin goes for,

And I'm not up on curent pricing; they are not inexpensive. g

but for $189 new (a bit less on ebay) you can get a SansAmp Bass Driver
DI, and those sounds pretty damn good.

I agree; and the Baggs paracoustic DI also works a treat for what it
costs, about the same as the SansAmp.

--
ha

hank alrich

Sanbar wrote:

I've got a Great River Preamp. Would this work as well or not.

My MP2-MH does work pretty well for DI for many things; go ahead and try
your GR and see what you think. Which model do you have? The NV model is
also a good DI for electric instruments, and the NV EQ is something
else.

--
ha
Geoff Wood

Sanbar wrote:

I've got a Great River Preamp. Would this work as well or not.

My MP2-MH does work pretty well for DI for many things; go ahead and try
your GR and see what you think. Which model do you have? The NV model is
also a good DI for electric instruments, and the NV EQ is something
else.

My Buzz Audio DI works great. Sounds better than some other guy's fancy
Fishman did, to me ...

geoff

hank alrich

Geoff Wood wrote:

My Buzz Audio DI works great. Sounds better than some other guy's fancy
Fishman did, to me ...

The Fishman has been very unimpressive every time I've met it.

--
ha

Geoff Wood

Geoff Wood wrote:

My Buzz Audio DI works great. Sounds better than some other guy's
fancy
Fishman did, to me ...

The Fishman has been very unimpressive every time I've met it.

--
ha

Phew, glad it wasn't my imagination then .

ha ha ha

geoff ;-)

Sanbar wrote:
I'm not a bass player, but I play one in my home studio. I'm looking

for
suggestions for direct in bass to get the best sound possible. Any

hardware
units do a good job with this. Any other recording techniques would

be
greatly appreciated. I'm using a Paris system and have the UAD-1 card

if
that is useful.

Thanks as always.

I really like my Demeter VTMP-2a. IMO, tubes and basses belong together
for most genres.

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
This sig is haiku

Bob Smith

"hank alrich" wrote in message
. ..

You want one of Bruce Seifried's Evil Twin DI's. He will have a batch
ready soon, based on his comments in another thread. Find that post and
get in line; maybe they're not all already commited to buyers. The thing
is beyond "good", it's actually _great_.

Some pieces of gear just keep amazing me, and the Evil Twin is one of
them.

Hank,

Which variant of the Evil Twin do you have? Basic unit, basic + preamp,
with pre and phantom, dual channel?

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

hank alrich

Bob Smith wrote:

"hank alrich" wrote...

You want one of Bruce Seifried's Evil Twin DI's. He will have a batch
ready soon, based on his comments in another thread. Find that post and
get in line; maybe they're not all already commited to buyers. The thing
is beyond "good", it's actually _great_.

Some pieces of gear just keep amazing me, and the Evil Twin is one of
them.

Hank,

Which variant of the Evil Twin do you have? Basic unit, basic + preamp,
with pre and phantom, dual channel?

Single channel basic unit, no mic pre, phantom, etc. But given how fun
it sounds I'd like to try the mic pre version sometime. Not right now.
Bought that little K&H PA and that'll have to hold me for a spell. g

(BTW, word is that Mackie will exchange noisy SRM350's for the fixed
version. Have you done that? The latest ones I've heard make no woofer
noise.)

--
ha
Bob Smith

Bob Smith wrote:

Hank,

Which variant of the Evil Twin do you have? Basic unit, basic +

preamp,
with pre and phantom, dual channel?

Single channel basic unit, no mic pre, phantom, etc. But given how fun
it sounds I'd like to try the mic pre version sometime. Not right now.
Bought that little K&H PA and that'll have to hold me for a spell. g

(BTW, word is that Mackie will exchange noisy SRM350's for the fixed
version. Have you done that? The latest ones I've heard make no woofer
noise.)

--
ha

Thanks, Hank. I haven't taken the SRM350s out of service to either fix or
have Mackie exchange as I use them ... to make noise! About 85 to 100 dB SPL
pink noise for the acoustic lab. But I really should so they would be useful
when needed for SR duties.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Shiverbones

i just got the AMI TAB Funkenwerk V71 DI and it sounds really really
nice on bass (and guitar, actually).

here it is:

http://www.mercenary.com/tadiprv7.html
also i use the RNP for bass and i like it.

mcnews

jtougas wrote:
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 17:32:58 GMT, "Sanbar" wrote:

I'm not a bass player, but I play one in my home studio. I'm looking

for
suggestions for direct in bass to get the best sound possible. Any

hardware
units do a good job with this. Any other recording techniques would

be
greatly appreciated. I'm using a Paris system and have the UAD-1

card if
that is useful.

Thanks as always.

I don't know how much the Evil Twin goes for, but for $189 new (a bit
less on ebay) you can get a SansAmp Bass Driver DI, and those sounds
pretty damn good.

i use sans amp for scratch tracks then sans amp plus a d112 on my svt
for the keeper.
i think DI and live mic is the best way to go.
NOTE: most non-bass players miss the mid-range punch that *must* be
there for the best bass sound.