Neil Henderson

Default Vocal Processor for live use?

A band that I'm friends with is looking to upgrade some of their live gear,
and one of the items that singer wants to get is a new processor for vocals
(right now he's just using a Quadraverb for delay, chorus, etc. and wants to
upgrade both in terms of flexibility as well as sound quality). I've offered
to help him try to find something, and I thought maybe some of you might be
able to help me narrow down the search. Here's what he's looking for this
item to be able to do:

1.) Standard effects, of course, such as delay, 'verbs, chorus, etc., and
with editable parameters on each.
2.) He also wants a really good doubler effect.
3.) EQ, so he can dial in that lo-fi AM radio sound
4.) Distortion (it's a metal group, so he wants to be able to add this on
certain parts)
5.) It's got be able to combine several of these at once (IOW, he should be
able to save a preset that might have a doubler, a delay & an EQ setting,
another that might use distortion, verb, and chorus... you get the idea)
6.) Footswitch-able, so he can toggle back & forth between several presets
from the front of the stage.

Actually, it seems to me like what he really needs might be a high-quality
guitar processor (since he wants to have distortion as one of the options),
but I thought I'd throw this out there & see if there are any vocal-specific
processors that any of you are using that will do all this. He's open to
either using this as an insertable effect, or a complete input path.

So far, the TC Helicon VoiceLive looks like it could be the ticket, except
for the fact that I don't see anything listed in the specs that could
provide a distortion effect - anyone ever use this item??? Know anything
about it?

Thanks in advance!

Neil Henderson

Ty Ford

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 12:12:34 -0500, Neil Henderson wrote
(in article ) :

[...]

It does, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to use it on a vocal,
although that's obviously why it's there.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Animix

Hey Neil,

I used to have an oldYammy SPX 900 that could do most of the stuff you're
describing. I still see them in a lot of live rigs.

Deej

"Neil Henderson" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Blind Joni

So far, the TC Helicon VoiceLive looks like it could be the ticket, except
for the fact that I don't see anything listed in the specs that could
provide a distortion effect - anyone ever use this item??? Know anything
about it?

Thanks in advance!

Neil Henderson

It does, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to use it on a vocal,
although that's obviously why it's there.

A lot of modern music has distorted vocal effects.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Neil Henderson

"Animix" wrote in message
Hey Neil,

I used to have an oldYammy SPX 900 that could do most of the stuff you're
describing. I still see them in a lot of live rigs.

Hey Deej, thanks, but these guys are looking to go with
brand-new/under-warranty-type stuph for their live gear upgrades. Can't
blame 'em in a way - part of the reason they're upgrading is that they've
had lots of repair & maintenance bills on their older gear lately... goes
with the territory of playing as much as they do, but I can see their point.

Neil

Neil Henderson

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
So far, the TC Helicon VoiceLive looks like it could be the ticket,
except
for the fact that I don't see anything listed in the specs that could
provide a distortion effect - anyone ever use this item??? Know anything
about it?

Thanks in advance!

Neil Henderson

It does, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to use it on a vocal,
although that's obviously why it's there.

Cool, Ty - thanks. That one looks like it might be the ticket... at least
for the time being.

Neil