chris

Default XLR to stereo

I have a mic preamp with two separate channels. I am looking for a
cable/simple device that can combine two XLR channels to a single stereo
1/8" (or 1/4") jack. Where can I find it? Thanks.
Scott Dorsey

chris wrote:
I have a mic preamp with two separate channels. I am looking for a
cable/simple device that can combine two XLR channels to a single stereo
1/8" (or 1/4") jack. Where can I find it? Thanks.

Markertek can make one if they don't stock it.
DeserTBoB

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:24:26 GMT, chris wrote:

I have a mic preamp with two separate channels. I am looking for a
cable/simple device that can combine two XLR channels to a single stereo
1/8" (or 1/4") jack. Where can I find it? snip

You can't. Each XLR represents a tip, ring and sleeve. Assuming the
sleeves are from the same ground, now you're down to five conductors.
You're trying to go from balanced to unbalanced. Doesn't work that
way.

dB
chris

DeserTBoB wrote:
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:24:26 GMT, chris wrote:

I have a mic preamp with two separate channels. I am looking for a
cable/simple device that can combine two XLR channels to a single stereo
1/8" (or 1/4") jack. Where can I find it? snip

You can't. Each XLR represents a tip, ring and sleeve. Assuming the
sleeves are from the same ground, now you're down to five conductors.
You're trying to go from balanced to unbalanced. Doesn't work that
way.

dB

Okay. Then what mixer do I need that can combine 2 XLR channels from 2
mikes to a single stereo jack? One that is cheap but good quality. Mic
preamp quality isn't important because I have a reasonably good one. Thanks.
Arny Krueger

"chris" wrote in message
ink.net

I have a mic preamp with two separate channels. I am looking for a
cable/simple device that can combine two XLR channels to a single
stereo 1/8" (or 1/4") jack. Where can I find it? Thanks.

I understand your situation to be one where you have a Mic preamp with
balanced outputs on XLR connectors, and an audio interface with a 1/8"
stereo mini headphone jack line level input.

Either you make your own cable, have someone like Markertek make it for you,
or assemble a composite cable of your own.

If you chose the last alternative, buy a standard dual-RCA plug to 1/8" plug
adaptor cable,

http://www.minidisc.org/soundprofess...g/stroadpt.jpg

or get this adaptor that does it all in one little connector:

http://www.midi-classics.com/c/c24184.htm

and two XLR to RCA adaptors.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=133533&is=REG

http://store.qualityelectronics.net/hogxrcafxlrf.html

Richard Crowley

"chris" wrote ...
I have a mic preamp with two separate channels. I am looking
for a cable/simple device that can combine two XLR channels
to a single stereo 1/8" (or 1/4") jack.

What does that mean?

Are you saying that you have a stereo mic with a stereo 1/8"
connectors that you want to connect to the XLR inputs of two
preamps?

Or are you saying that you want to take the XLR ouputs of two
preamps and feed some device that wants 1/8" stereo mini-
phone jack?

Or are you saying that you have two XLR microphones that
you want to feed into a 1/8" mini-phone input?

There are commercial sources of everything from simple
cable adapters to full transformer-balanced interfaces that
would meet most of these combinations (and others).

Or what?

Where can I find it? Thanks.

If you can describe more accurately what you need, it will
be easier to suggest sources.
chris

Arny Krueger wrote:
"chris" wrote in message
ink.net

[...]

Thank you very much. The Hosa GXF-132 is exactly what I am looking for.
I didn't know there is such a thing. It saves my trouble to having to
add a line mixer.
StudioDude

FWIW - going from a nice preamp and just using unbalanced cables to
plug it into a standard pc card will sound like poo-poo. Kinda defeats
the purpose of hvaing a nice preamp to begin with. Get an upgraded
interface with XLR inputs (assuming you're going into a computer -
sounds like it - otherwise I have no idea why you'd want to do what
you're looking to do) and keep the signal path clean and clear. Don't
just use some cheap cable adapter - especially to go from XLR to RCA -
XLR is balanced - the RCA is NOT. The signals won't match, and then
you'll be scratching your head wondering why the hell your recordings
have so much noise - even with a "nice" preamp. Good luck!

chris wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:
"chris" wrote in message
ink.net

[...]

chris

StudioDude wrote:
FWIW - going from a nice preamp and just using unbalanced cables to
plug it into a standard pc card will sound like poo-poo. Kinda defeats
the purpose of hvaing a nice preamp to begin with. Get an upgraded
interface with XLR inputs (assuming you're going into a computer -
sounds like it - otherwise I have no idea why you'd want to do what
you're looking to do) and keep the signal path clean and clear. Don't
just use some cheap cable adapter - especially to go from XLR to RCA -
XLR is balanced - the RCA is NOT. The signals won't match, and then
you'll be scratching your head wondering why the hell your recordings
have so much noise - even with a "nice" preamp. Good luck!

It's going to a portable recorder. I think only desktop recorders have
balanced inputs. Maybe I am wrong but I can't afford those expensive DAT
recorders anyway. I am using two mikes so it's necessary to use a
2-channel mic preamp, and I think it ought to be _nicer_ than the one
built-in the recorder. The XLR to RCA adaptor is enough for me to get
started.

Jedd Haas

In article . net, chris
wrote:

I have a mic preamp with two separate channels. I am looking for a
cable/simple device that can combine two XLR channels to a single stereo
1/8" (or 1/4") jack. Where can I find it? Thanks.

There are a bunch of adapters made for DV cameras (such as the Canon XL1)
for this purpose that may work for you; one is made by a company called
Beachtek.

--
Jedd Haas - Artist
http://www.gallerytungsten.com
Tom Penharston

http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/product...nsformers.html

Here's what Hosa says:

"To run a low-impedance XLR terminated line (like a pro microphone)
into a high-impedance =BC" phone input (like a guitar-amp input), it's
often necessary to use a line matching transformer like our MIT-435 or
MIT-176. The MIT-129 is for impedance matching of a high impedance =BC"
phone equipped source (like an electric guitar) into a low-impedance
(mic-level) XLR type input."

The GXF-132 looks cool. Unfortunately, the description for the GXF-132
doesn't say anything about transformers. It just tells you how the
pins are wired.

Ty Ford

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 19:22:32 -0500, chris wrote
(in article . net):

DeserTBoB wrote:
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:24:26 GMT, chris wrote:

I have a mic preamp with two separate channels. I am looking for a
cable/simple device that can combine two XLR channels to a single stereo
1/8" (or 1/4") jack. Where can I find it? snip

You can't. Each XLR represents a tip, ring and sleeve. Assuming the
sleeves are from the same ground, now you're down to five conductors.
You're trying to go from balanced to unbalanced. Doesn't work that
way.

dB

Okay. Then what mixer do I need that can combine 2 XLR channels from 2
mikes to a single stereo jack? One that is cheap but good quality. Mic
preamp quality isn't important because I have a reasonably good one. Thanks.

Chris,

Let me confirm. You have balanced XLR outs and you want to pass that audio
into a single unbalanced stereo input to something like a MD recorder or
camcorder.

Here's how I have done that. Get a set of Hosa female XLR (Guitar Center
carries them) to male RCA cables. Get a y-adapter with two female RCA to one
mini TRS. Plug male RCA into female RCA. Done.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

chris

Tom Penharston wrote:
http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/product...nsformers.html

Here's what Hosa says:

"To run a low-impedance XLR terminated line (like a pro microphone)
into a high-impedance ¼" phone input (like a guitar-amp input), it's
often necessary to use a line matching transformer like our MIT-435 or
MIT-176. The MIT-129 is for impedance matching of a high impedance ¼"
phone equipped source (like an electric guitar) into a low-impedance
(mic-level) XLR type input."

The GXF-132 looks cool. Unfortunately, the description for the GXF-132
doesn't say anything about transformers. It just tells you how the
pins are wired.

Here is spec of the mic preamp's audio out:
Connectors: XLR and 1/4" jack
Type: electronically servo-balanced output stage
Impedance: 60 Ohm balanced, 30 Ohms unbalanced
Maximum output level: +21dBu balanced and unbalanced

I am connect it to the portable recorder's line in.

There is no info about the recorder's line in jack. Would the GXF-132
damage the portable recorder?
Richard Crowley

"chris" wrote
Here is spec of the mic preamp's audio out:
Connectors: XLR and 1/4" jack
Type: electronically servo-balanced output stage
Impedance: 60 Ohm balanced, 30 Ohms unbalanced
Maximum output level: +21dBu balanced and unbalanced

I am connect it to the portable recorder's line in.

There is no info about the recorder's line in jack. Would
the GXF-132 damage the portable recorder?

You didn't state what the "portable recorder" is, but just
guessing that any equipment with a 1/8" connector most
likely won't tolerate +21dBu of audio level. -10 is closer
to typical consumer "line level". IOW, you may have to
run the output from the preamps pretty low to avoid clipping
on the recorder inputs.

The adapter won't likely "damage" anything, but feeding +21
(or even +4) dBu into a consumer line-level wouldn't be
advisable IME.

Scott Dorsey

chris wrote:

Here is spec of the mic preamp's audio out:
Connectors: XLR and 1/4" jack
Type: electronically servo-balanced output stage
Impedance: 60 Ohm balanced, 30 Ohms unbalanced
Maximum output level: +21dBu balanced and unbalanced

For the most part this isn't very meaningful, other than that you know
it's low-Z and balanced.

I am connect it to the portable recorder's line in.

There is no info about the recorder's line in jack. Would the GXF-132
damage the portable recorder?

Not if it's just a straight-through cable, pin 3 on each XLR pulled to
the two hot pins on the 1/8 plug and pins 1 and 2 tied to shield.
(Or with 2 and 3 swapped if you are of that religion). God I hate those
1/8" plugs.

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Thanks. This is similar to Amy Krueger's suggestion. You guys are godsends.
Tom Penharston

Thanks for the specs.
Your output is low impedance for both XLR and 1/4".

According to Whirlwind anything below 150 ohms is considered low
impedance.

http://www.whirlwindusa.com/tech03.html
http://www.alectrosystems.com/tips/a...audio_tip8.htm

What is the impedance rating on the input of your recording device? If
it's a high impedance input you will need a direct box or a transformer
to get a good sounding audio signal.

chris

Tom Penharston wrote:
Thanks for the specs.
Your output is low impedance for both XLR and 1/4".

According to Whirlwind anything below 150 ohms is considered low
impedance.

http://www.whirlwindusa.com/tech03.html
http://www.alectrosystems.com/tips/a...audio_tip8.htm

What is the impedance rating on the input of your recording device? If
it's a high impedance input you will need a direct box or a transformer
to get a good sounding audio signal.

It's a typical Sony HiMD recorder which I can't find any info. It is
certainly a low impedance device but I don't know how low it is.
Michael Putrino

"Tom Penharston" wrote in message
ps.com...

What is the impedance rating on the input of your recording device? If
it's a high impedance input you will need a direct box or a transformer
to get a good sounding audio signal.

Not so. You will have no problem driving a high impedance input with a low
impedance output. This is normal. You need no direct box or transformer.
Direct boxes are used for the reverse: driving a low impedance input by a
high impedance ourput.

Chris: Since you output device also has a 1/4" balanced output, read the
manual to determine if it will accept an unbalanced 1/4" plug inserted into
it without harm (many do). If so, there are also simple cables/adapters for
converting 1/4" unbalaced to either RCA and/or 1/8" connectors.

Again, you should not need transformers or direct boxes.

Mike Putrino
Mastering Engineer
Austin, TX

james of tucson

On 2005-01-07, chris wrote:

Okay. Then what mixer do I need that can combine 2 XLR channels from 2
mikes to a single stereo jack?

Lots of us low-budget musicians are having wonderful results with the
Behringer mixers. Behringer has mixers that will solve your current
problem and lots more problems that you might not even realize you have
yet, with anywhere from 2 input channels up to 32 or 48.

There are people who will recommend you steer away from Behringer
products for *political* reasons. You can follow or ignore that advice
as you please.

Or, you can spend incrementally money, and get an incrementally better
product. But for example a UB802 will still be a nice thing to have
on your shelf, even after you've upgraded to something bigger or better.
They aren't particularly noisy or made to low tolerances or anything.
You can do a lot worse for $50.
chris

Michael Putrino wrote:
[...]

The complicated manual seems to indicate that XLR and 1/4" jacks run in
parallel. XLR in, XLR out and 1/4" in, 1/4" out only.
Tom Penharston

Not so. You will have no problem driving a high impedance input with

a low
impedance output. This is normal. You need no direct box or

transformer.
Direct boxes are used for the reverse: driving a low impedance input

by a
high impedance ourput.

Okay, he's right. This note on Shure's web talks about impedence
matching:
http://www.shure.com/support/technot...impedance.html
I'm one hundred years behind the game!

Moving on, I used the exact same set-up last year with a Presonus Blue
tube and a Sony minidisc recorder. I couldn't use the full range of
the Blue Tube.

Preamps sound great when they are used properly. When you reduce the
function of the pre-amp to a level control you can be stuck with a much
thinner sound than the pre-amp is designed to provide.

Geoff Wood

"DeserTBoB" wrote in message
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:24:26 GMT, chris wrote:

I have a mic preamp with two separate channels. I am looking for a
cable/simple device that can combine two XLR channels to a single stereo
1/8" (or 1/4") jack. Where can I find it? snip

You can't.

Yes you can. Pin 1 and 3 of each XLR to stereo jack sleeve. Pin 2 of each
XLR to tip and ring respectively.

Pretty 'agricultural' though .....

geoff