GaryMedia

Default Wiring diagram for Direct Out "Insert" cable

The Hosa DOC10 cable does what I need in that it allows a conventional
Insert connection on a mixer to be used as a Direct-Out.

The trouble is that I need 24 of these and I think I can make them
myself at a lot less than $11 apiece for a 6-inch cable.

I'd like some corroboration of my guess of how this thing is probably wired.

The mixer end is TRS with T=Send and R=Return and S=Ground
The other end going into the DAW is an unbalanced TS connection.

So, the T and S shorted on the mixer side, and connected to T on the
other end?...then of course the S on both ends is common. Right?
Richard Crowley

"GaryMedia" wrote in message
m...
The Hosa DOC10 cable does what I need in that it allows a conventional
Insert connection on a mixer to be used as a Direct-Out.

The trouble is that I need 24 of these and I think I can make them myself
at a lot less than $11 apiece for a 6-inch cable.

I'd like some corroboration of my guess of how this thing is probably
wired.

The mixer end is TRS with T=Send and R=Return and S=Ground
The other end going into the DAW is an unbalanced TS connection.

So, the T and S shorted on the mixer side, and connected to T on the other
end?...then of course the S on both ends is common. Right?

That is how I wired mine and they work just fine.

Scott Dorsey

GaryMedia wrote:
The Hosa DOC10 cable does what I need in that it allows a conventional
Insert connection on a mixer to be used as a Direct-Out.

The trouble is that I need 24 of these and I think I can make them
myself at a lot less than $11 apiece for a 6-inch cable.

You'll find that if you buy decent connectors that it costs you a lot
more than you think to build these. (Not that the Hosa connectors are
decent).

I'd like some corroboration of my guess of how this thing is probably wired.

The mixer end is TRS with T=Send and R=Return and S=Ground
The other end going into the DAW is an unbalanced TS connection.

So, the T and S shorted on the mixer side, and connected to T on the
other end?...then of course the S on both ends is common. Right?

Right. If you are using a Mackie mixer, the manual has information about
this in it. The Rane website section on making cables also talks about it.
Joe Sensor

Scott Dorsey wrote:

The trouble is that I need 24 of these and I think I can make them
myself at a lot less than $11 apiece for a 6-inch cable.

You'll find that if you buy decent connectors that it costs you a lot
more than you think to build these. (Not that the Hosa connectors are
decent).

That is what I was thinking. It will cost you about that just for the 2
connectors and a bit of cable. Of course, if you assemble them
correctly, the quality will be way better than Hosa.
Richard Crowley

"Joe Sensor" wrote ...
That is what I was thinking. It will cost you about that just for the 2
connectors and a bit of cable. Of course, if you assemble them correctly,
the quality will be way better than Hosa.

Exactly the reason I make my own.

Arny Krueger

"GaryMedia" wrote in message
The Hosa DOC10 cable does what I need in that it allows a conventional
Insert connection on a mixer to be used as a Direct-Out.

The trouble is that I need 24 of these and I think I can make them
myself at a lot less than $11 apiece for a 6-inch cable.

I'd like some corroboration of my guess of how this thing is probably
wired.
The mixer end is TRS with T=Send and R=Return and S=Ground
The other end going into the DAW is an unbalanced TS connection.

So, the T and S shorted on the mixer side, and connected to T on the
other end?...then of course the S on both ends is common. Right?

That's how I wire mine, and they work.

RD Jones

GaryMedia wrote:
The Hosa DOC10 cable does what I need in that it allows a

conventional
Insert connection on a mixer to be used as a Direct-Out.

The trouble is that I need 24 of these and I think I can make them
myself at a lot less than $11 apiece for a 6-inch cable.

I'd like some corroboration of my guess of how this thing is probably

wired.

The mixer end is TRS with T=Send and R=Return and S=Ground
The other end going into the DAW is an unbalanced TS connection.

So, the T and S shorted on the mixer side, and connected to T on the
other end?...then of course the S on both ends is common. Right?

Another option is to use a premade 'guitar' cable and replace one end
with the TRS plug, wired as you have noted. Saves some effort over
wiring
the whole thing.

RD

TonyP

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"GaryMedia" wrote in message
m...

The mixer end is TRS with T=Send and R=Return and S=Ground
The other end going into the DAW is an unbalanced TS connection.

So, the T and S shorted on the mixer side, and connected to T on the

other
end?...then of course the S on both ends is common. Right?

That is how I wired mine and they work just fine.

Surely not?
You should short Tip and *RING* at the mixer, then connect to the tip at the
DAW.
Both sleeves are common or ground.

TonyP.

TonyP

"RD Jones" wrote in message
oups.com...
Another option is to use a premade 'guitar' cable and replace one end
with the TRS plug, wired as you have noted. Saves some effort over
wiring the whole thing.

You can usually buy a set (usually 6 or 8) of T/S (or TRS) patch cables MUCH
cheaper than guitar cables, if you want to replace one connector.
Better still, they are often color coded which comes in handy when patching.

TonyP.

Arny Krueger

"GaryMedia" wrote in message
The mixer end is TRS with T=Send and R=Return and S=Ground
The other end going into the DAW is an unbalanced TS connection.

So, the T and S shorted on the mixer side, and connected to T on the
other end?...then of course the S on both ends is common. Right?

That's how I wire mine, and they work.

Surely not?

You are correct. Tip and ring should be shorted to each other. I didn't
notice that he mentioned the sleeve twice.

Arny Krueger

"GaryMedia" wrote in message

The Hosa DOC10 cable does what I need in that it allows a conventional
Insert connection on a mixer to be used as a Direct-Out.

So it seems. However, the female connector is arugably the wrong sex for
many applications. Every time I've made this kind of cable, I've needed a
male connector on the computer audio interface end.

The trouble is that I need 24 of these and I think I can make them
myself at a lot less than $11 apiece for a 6-inch cable.

Given that you may need to add a regular 1/4 jumper cable, the in-use cost
is about doubled from what they advertise.

This cable comes close to costing $11 for just the two connectors if you use
quality connectors.

I'd like some corroboration of my guess of how this thing is probably
wired.

The mixer end is TRS with T=Send and R=Return and S=Ground
The other end going into the DAW is an unbalanced TS connection.

So, the T and S shorted on the mixer side, and connected to T on the
other end?...

No, tip and ring are shorted to each other. This restores the path that is
usually broken when you fully insert the cable.

then of course the S on both ends is common. Right?

Yes, the shields or sleeves are common.