Remco Muntz

Default How do you set-up a mix?

Just curious about the different methods (globally) people use when they
go mixing. I'm especially interested in people that use DAWs.
--
Remco
Noise Farm

The Mixing Engineer's Handbook is a good introduction to basic mixing
techniques and it's got input and tricks from all sorts of top producers.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance

Tim

"Remco Muntz" wrote in message
Just curious about the different methods (globally) people use when they
go mixing. I'm especially interested in people that use DAWs.
--
Remco

Richard Kuschel

Just curious about the different methods (globally) people use when they

go mixing. I'm especially interested in people that use DAWs.
--
Remco

Why would it be any different with a DAW than a board?

If the song is sung, I set up the vocal and build around that.

If an Instrumental, I usually start with the drums & bass.

Richard H. Kuschel
LuKeNuKuM

hi Remco,

im not a 'pro' by any stretch of the imagination - infact, i'd be
pushing it to say amatuer. but i lurk a bit... and i've been using this
page as a rough guide for mixing:

http://recordingeq.com/EQ/req0200/recmeth.htm

for a newb like me it really helps and the first bit about matching up
a bass with a drum's bass pedal has proved really usefull. im using a
DAW system but most of the features within it mirror what you'd do on a
normal desk i guess.

my 2 pence.

cheers

LuKuM

Remco Muntz

LuKeNuKuM wrote:

im not a 'pro' by any stretch of the imagination - infact, i'd be
pushing it to say amatuer. but i lurk a bit... and i've been using this
page as a rough guide for mixing:

http://recordingeq.com/EQ/req0200/recmeth.htm

for a newb like me it really helps and the first bit about matching up
a bass with a drum's bass pedal has proved really usefull. im using a
DAW system but most of the features within it mirror what you'd do on a
normal desk i guess.

Hi,
Thanks, that's an interesting page. It's not that I don't know how to
mix, I'm actually quite experienced. But I was just curious what others'
methods are, because there are many ways to make a nice mix.

--
Remco

LuKeNuKuM

hi Remco,

apologies!

well my general plan of attack (with my 'music' hahahaa!) is find a
pair of fresh ears (although its quite amusing to listen to things a
day or so after i've mixed when i've had headfones on all day!)

i tend to start with everything as raw as possible, usually the only
effect would be pre-recorded distortion on guitar parts.

i mute everything and solo the drums up fairly high so i've got
something to start work with (bearing in mind im using a drummachine so
its only a stereo pair).

then i'll bring in the bass up, centrally. i have problems with bass
sometimes so i tend to listen to it from different distances and
perhaps in another room to get the level right.

next i'll go for the rhythm guitar, often there is only one in my case
so i might only pan it to about 50% left which means im not getting too
much an emptyness on the right. if it really sounds weak i might add a
slight delay to the right to get that bigger sound - then maybe widen
the perspective to75% or so.

lead guitar next, which i often mix dependent on how i've done the
rhythm, usually this would mean making a strong right signal, mirroring
the panning of the left rhythm guitar.

i tend to use an amp modeller since im short on space and noise
allowance! but i've found depending on the effects coming from the amp
i can get wierd stereo effects on two or more guitars which confuse
things and sound pretty bad - i'll sometimes use headfones to double
check if i think i can hear those 'wobbles' creeping in.

next i'd go for keyboard and this would then depend on whats already
there panning wise. i seem to find my self constantly balancing out as
much as possible what i have, perhaps this isnt the best thing to do
because in some instances i guess sounds aren't naturally always in the
right place!

finally i'd add the vocal hopeing the other instruments are distributed
evenly enough to let it 'shine' through the middle (hahaaa! wouldnt
that be nice!).

once im happy that the mix sounds decent enough i'll try and leave it
for a few hours, go watch a film or something then comeback an
re-assess. then i'll make some notes on the second listen... this would
be 3 things (current settings, levelling+eq and then effects).

then i'd try and make sense of the above and do the following:

1) correct any levels/pans that are 'off'.
2) add compression to things such as bass and vocal which might be
giving me problems deal with any eq issues if needed.
3) re-check the mix of any tracks i've 'twiddled'.
4) add effects reverb etc to finish of the job.

i tend to find if i can get as happy as possible with the first mix
then all the stuff afterward gets finer and easier, i have this perfect
view here in my head of an upside down triangle which gradually filters
and cleans the mix till there is this perfect mixdown! hahaha!

if the first mix isn't working i'll start from scratch again. many a
time i've ended up tweaking into the early hours with eq and effects,
but really its been pointless because my first raw mix was poor.

anyways, thats my mixes in a nutshell... and i'd welcome any comments
on how i can improve or glaring mistakes im making!

cheers

Luke

db

I'd be interested in other insights also.

I generally start with the kick and bass, snare, hi hat, other drums,
Lead vocal.

Work in my mids, Piano, guitars, back up vocals. This is where I have
the most problem, is in dealing with too many mid range instruments in
the way of the lead vocal.
Trying to back off as much as possible, but use the auto faders to
bring parts i like in at certain times.

Bass can be a bear too, although I have gotten much better it is easy
to end up with too much bass.

Lead vocal, kick and snare are loudest. try to let the kick carry the
bass. Just general ideas...

ScotFraser

Lead vocal, kick and snare are loudest. BRBR

I guess I'm just too old to appreciate how the kick drum is on a par with the
vocal for musical priority in a mix, & this must be why I'm not called upon to
mix pop music.

Scott Fraser
db

Note, I put vocal first.

I would say kick not on par, but prominant. yes pretty much
pop/rock/blues oreinted.
What kind of stuff do you like to mix?