Weatherman

Default Help....need a new 12 string acoustic

Dear all,
I had my 12 string acoustic stolen. It was a 1980 Daion Mugen and was
beautiful.

Unfortunately, I am a bit stuck as to what to look for now. The Tanglewoods
and Takamines look nice, the Taylors look like heaven.

I am a heavy strummer and a heavy finger-picker on folk/appalachian/country
style music. I ma used to good bass with nice jangly trebles.

Any advice as to what I should get for under £500?

Many thanks in advance.

Jim (praying for Santa to come!)

George Gleason

Weatherman wrote:
Dear all,
I had my 12 string acoustic stolen. It was a 1980 Daion Mugen and was
beautiful.

Unfortunately, I am a bit stuck as to what to look for now. The Tanglewoods
and Takamines look nice, the Taylors look like heaven.

I am a heavy strummer and a heavy finger-picker on folk/appalachian/country
style music. I ma used to good bass with nice jangly trebles.

Any advice as to what I should get for under £500?

Many thanks in advance.

Jim (praying for Santa to come!)

find a used Rainsong your tuning nightmare will be over
you tune it ONCE when you string it and it stays in tune
George
hank alrich

sycochkn wrote:

Forget the budget and go for a Santa Cruz F series 12 string. 3,000 to 4,000
Us dollars.

http://www.santacruzguitar.com/

Naw, multiply that by some factor and be patient, like willing to wait a
few years, and order a McCollum.

(I am an unpaid shill for McCollum. My guitar makes me do it.)

--
ha
james of tucson

On 2004-12-12, Weatherman wrote:

Unfortunately, I am a bit stuck as to what to look for now. The Tanglewoods
and Takamines look nice, the Taylors look like heaven.

Larrivee!

georgeh

As a frequent visitor to Elderly Instruments, I can tell you that
the brand/model means didley (provided it's a decent guitar to begin
with). You have to hear ea. instrument. Hear it from front and back
(have a friend play it so you can get out in front).
I've sampled countless Taylors, Martins, Gibsons, Collins, etc.
Sometimes the best sounding one in a class IS the $7000 instrument.
Sometimes it's the $700. If you find a $700 one that sounds great,
buy it.

"Weatherman" Mrs. writes:
Dear all,
I had my 12 string acoustic stolen. It was a 1980 Daion Mugen and was
beautiful.

Unfortunately, I am a bit stuck as to what to look for now. The Tanglewoods
and Takamines look nice, the Taylors look like heaven.

I am a heavy strummer and a heavy finger-picker on folk/appalachian/country
style music. I ma used to good bass with nice jangly trebles.

Any advice as to what I should get for under £500?

Many thanks in advance.

Jim (praying for Santa to come!)

ScotFraser

The Tanglewoods
and Takamines look nice, the Taylors look like heaven.

Unfortunately, those that look nice don't always sound nice or play worth a
damn (witness any recent Gibson or Martin, IMO.) You might try looking up a
used Guild. Not overly pricey, maybe not ever top of the class, but they record
very well. Quite underrated in my estimation.
(BTW, I've never heard a Takamine in my studio that I thought sounded great, &
quite a few of the lesser Taylors have turned out to sound very good into
microphones.)

Scott Fraser
A.Most

"ScotFraser" wrote in message
The Tanglewoods
and Takamines look nice, the Taylors look like heaven.

Unfortunately, those that look nice don't always sound nice or play worth

damn (witness any recent Gibson or Martin, IMO.) You might try looking up

used Guild. Not overly pricey, maybe not ever top of the class, but they

record
very well. Quite underrated in my estimation.
(BTW, I've never heard a Takamine in my studio that I thought sounded

great, &
quite a few of the lesser Taylors have turned out to sound very good into
microphones.)

Scott Fraser

Taylor gets a bad rap but some of their 12s are very very nice.
--

Merry!
http://tinyurl.com/62z86

hank alrich

ScotFraser wrote:

Unfortunately, those that look nice don't always sound nice or play worth
a damn (witness any recent Gibson or Martin, IMO.) You might try looking
up a used Guild. Not overly pricey, maybe not ever top of the class, but
they record very well. Quite underrated in my estimation. (BTW, I've never
heard a Takamine in my studio that I thought sounded great, & quite a few
of the lesser Taylors have turned out to sound very good into
microphones.)

I interject that the dreadnaught stype Guild 12's I've met have been
tasty, and the superjumbo styles have been muddier than a monsoon
trailer park.

--
ha
John Cafarella

GtrPaul wrote:
I've got a Taylor maple 612 spruce top.
piezo + sunrise.great guitar. email off group please to discuss sale.
Paul

If you can find one over there, try a Maton CW80/12.
John Cafarella
EOR Studio
Melbourne Australia

DaveBro

On 2004-12-12, Weatherman wrote:

Unfortunately, I am a bit stuck as to what to look for now. The

Tanglewoods
and Takamines look nice, the Taylors look like heaven.

Larrivee!

I'll second the Larrivee for a fine 12-string that's not in the
stratosphere pricewise. I've owned a really nice Taylor 555, but my
friend's Larrivees puts them to shame. Check 'em out.

Dave

ScotFraser

Or, for something completely different, try a pre-Harmony Stella 12.
Check out Stellaguitars.com

Are there any of those still available? I remember that they, at least
the good Lead Belly sounding ones, were rare back in the '60's when I
was looking for one. BRBR

I believe they were rare even in Leadbelly's day. His Stella currently resides
in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland. Tune down to C for the authentic
Leadbelly sound.
Scott Fraser
ScotFraser

and the superjumbo styles have been muddier than a monsoon
trailer park. BRBR

I thought we had agreed to only say nice things about Harvey's studio.

Scott Fraser
hank alrich

Ty Ford wrote:

Hannibul Artese wrote:

"Weatherman" wrote:

I had my 12 string acoustic stolen. It was a 1980 Daion Mugen and was
beautiful.

See if you can find a used rosewood Guild.

Or, for something completely different, try a pre-Harmony Stella 12.
Check out Stellaguitars.com

Good call, and I've also seen some Harmony Sovereign 12's that rocked. I
don't care for the Superjumbo style rosewood Guilds as I find them
extremely muddy and boomy, but I do like the dreadnaught style models,
especially the pear wood models.

--
ha
Ty Ford

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:58:28 -0500, ScotFraser wrote
(in article ):

Or, for something completely different, try a pre-Harmony Stella 12.
Check out Stellaguitars.com

Are there any of those still available? I remember that they, at least
the good Lead Belly sounding ones, were rare back in the '60's when I
was looking for one. BRBR

I believe they were rare even in Leadbelly's day. His Stella currently

resides
in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland. Tune down to C for the

authentic
Leadbelly sound.
Scott Fraser

Yes they are available, in limited supply. The book Neil sells gives the
history of Stella and other guitars and people peripheral to Stella before
harmony took them over.

There's a companion CD on which Neil plays about twenty different Stellae.
The book has pictures of which guitar was used to play which piece.
Some are funky, some are amazing. All have pretty light gauge strings and I
think Neil tuned them down a bit.

The book makes a nice gift for any finger picking guitar person.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Weatherman

Many many thanks for the opinions, everyone! Certainly given me food for
thought.

Have a peaceful and musical Christmas.
Best wishes
Jim

"DaveBro" wrote in message
ups.com...

hank alrich

ScotFraser wrote:

and the superjumbo styles have been muddier than a monsoon
trailer park. BRBR

I thought we had agreed to only say nice things about Harvey's studio.

1. Harvey's wonderful studio only _looks_ like a limited residence
trailer park. (An Augsberger trailer park?)

2. Harvey won't hold this against me because soon he won't remember I
said it. Neither will I.

--
ha

Acoustic Guitar Microphone Poll Arny Krueger Pro Audio 54 May 20th 05 07:24 PM
Doppler Distortion - Fact or Fiction Bob Cain Pro Audio 266 August 17th 04 06:50 AM
Mic Questions Twist Turner Pro Audio 22 November 25th 03 03:04 AM
Fixing acoustic foam to ceiling Rick Powell Pro Audio 3 September 2nd 03 02:06 AM
Similar to Sound Forge's Acoustic Mirror? Erik Pro Audio 2 July 7th 03 11:44 PM