Jerohm

Default M-Audio Firewire Audiophile - experiences?

I recently purchased a M-Audio Firewire Audiophile and find it "not quite
ready for primetime" (I am being nice). I have installed the most recent
drivers, which I THINK improved some synchronization issues with the
software panel/mixer (on a 1.G PIIIm, XP sp2), but still do not believe it
can pass a digital signal without alteration. Although it is spec'd to pass
AC-3 and DTS. I can not get the processor to recognize these signals.
(FYI: I have a 750M PIII, XP sp2, using an old Turtle Beach Pinnacle ISA
that performs these functions without a problem. This TB card is obsolete
and no drivers were ever specifically written for W2K or XP. I am using the
NT4.0 drivers - without much trouble).

As an interesting side note, when I try to play an HDCD signal (which is no
more than a 44.1K PCM WAV with some extra signal shaping, i.e., encoding - I
KNOW I am probably over simplifying this a bit), the processor makes
attempts (but fails) to recognize the HDCD encoding. If the volume is
lowered from its MAX position, the signal is merely interpreted as PCM (and
play fine in STEREO). Similarly, on the OTHER system with the TB Pinnacle,
the S/PIDF inputs/outputs MUST be set at MAX in order for the processor to
correctly decode AC-3, DTS, and HDCD.

Any insight or experience this the M-Audio Firewire Audiophile will be
greatly appreciated. Thanks

OT Political Blind Joni Pro Audio 337 September 25th 04 03:34 AM
here is how firewire ports fail George Pro Audio 13 September 11th 04 09:11 PM