Val Garay

Default NS 10 monitor speakers...

First of all, I used to use a small pair of speakers that Del Shannon
gave me that he brought back from England. I used them at the Sound
Factory in the early days but they were made out of cheap composition
board and finally started to disintegrate. I was looking for a pair of
small speakers and I was in Japan (circa 1974) with Linda Ronstadt
doing a live radio concert at the Buda Kahn and we were asked to go to
Yamaha's office to see a new speaker. So I went and heard the NS-10.
I loved the sound for a small speaker but only for a small speaker as
we had 604E's in the mains w/Mastering Lab crossovers at the Sound
Factory and they sounded great. So I bought 10 pair and shipped them
back to LA. I think they were the first ones in this country. At least
that's what Yamaha told me. Anyway, I used them for years and when I
built Record One I asked my then partner, Steve Waldman if we could get
more bass out of them. He said the box had to be bigger. So, I just
picked a number out of the air, which was 1/2" bigger I.D.
We also heard about Hemisphere Time Aligned crossovers that were
available for the NS-10.
So between the box (built for me by Larry Jackson Cabinets, builds all
the speaker cabinets for Westlake) and the crossovers flattened out the
midrange and had real bottom. We all started mixing on them alone for a
while as you now could. I made about 50 pairs and as far as I know
everyone still uses them. I know I do!
Yamaha and I were going to produce them and they were to be called "Val
Garay's Super 10M's".
Unfortunately we never came to terms. Although, all the artwork and
logo's were done.
PS The only difference between the NS-10M and the studio models is
there is a felt damper around the tweeter in the studio model and the
screen is flat instead of domed. They used the felt to knock down the
tweeter. Funny Mod!

david

In article . com, Val
Garay wrote:

PS The only difference between the NS-10M and the studio models is
there is a felt damper around the tweeter in the studio model and the
screen is flat instead of domed. They used the felt to knock down the
tweeter. Funny Mod!

I thought the tweeters were different beyond them flattening the dome?
Is the xover the same?

One other difference, the non-Studio version came with nice pop off
speaker grille that hides the drivers. (Am listening to a pair right
now.)

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com
Joe Mama

david wrote:
In article . com, Val
Garay wrote:

PS The only difference between the NS-10M and the studio models is
there is a felt damper around the tweeter in the studio model and the
screen is flat instead of domed. They used the felt to knock down the
tweeter. Funny Mod!

I thought the tweeters were different beyond them flattening the dome?
Is the xover the same?

One other difference, the non-Studio version came with nice pop off
speaker grille that hides the drivers. (Am listening to a pair right
now.)

From:
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/produc...akers/ns10mst/

The explosive popularity of the Yamaha NS-10Mspeaker system for near-
field monitoring in professional sound studios throughout the world has
resulted in the development of the NS-10M STUDIO model. The NS-10M
SUTDIO maintains the quality and performance of the original NS10M, but
has been refined and redesinged specifically for professional
applications. To begin with, you can throw away the tissue paper.
The high-end output of the NS-10M STUDIO has been modified - on the
basis of extensive testing and feedback from the field - for optimum
balance in the studio control room.

Compact, High-performance 2-way Configuration
The NS-10M STUDIO retains the unique sheet-formed white-cone 18cm woofer
of the original NS-10M, but employs a redesinged 3.5cm dome tweeter to
achieve high-end response that is more suitable for studio use. Optimum
woofer/tweeter matching and careful crossover design ensure smooth,
natural transition between frequency ranges with minimum phase
variation. Frequency response is remarkably flat from 60 Hz right up to
20 kHz, and superior transient response delivers crisp, transparent
sound. The exceptionally tight, clean reproduction and precise overall
response of this system is a must for accurate sound evaluation and
image positioning.

New Exterior Design
While the original NS-10M was primarily a vertical design, the NS10M
STUDIO has been remodeled to facilitate on-console horizontal placement.
Overall construction is more rugged to withstand the rigors of nonstop
professional use.

Cheers,
joe.