Jack

Default Soul mate for a U47?

A Soundelux E47 actually. I'm tracking male rock vocals and have, so far,
paired it with:

a) API 312 (too raspy)
b) Drawmer 1960 (smooth, but no magic)
c) Pre-Sonus M80 (as nice as the Jensen tranformers sound, still not GREAT)

A mic design with this much history must have some special friends out
there, what are some of the most successful 47 "couplings" in rock history??

Thanks for any help.

Jason Keillor
www.prairiedogproductions.org

ScotFraser

A mic design with this much history must have some special friends out
there, what are some of the most successful 47 "couplings" in rock history??
BRBR

Well, for me, a 47 into a Neve 31105 into an LA2A is a pretty sure bet for a
vocal I can live with.

Scott Fraser
hank alrich

Jack wrote:

A mic design with this much history must have some special friends out
there, what are some of the most successful 47 "couplings" in rock history??

Thanks for any help.

You owe it to yourself to try it with a Great River MP1-NV, or MP2-NV
(if you want a two channel mic pre).

http://www.greatriverelectronics.com

--
ha
KyleSong

I'm gonna go with Neve 1073 for 800 Jack...

Tommy B

Good category, remember to answer in the form of a question, and the name is
Alex. ;-)

Tom

"KyleSong" wrote in message
I'm gonna go with Neve 1073 for 800 Jack...

Steve Scott

Jason,

I've used the E47 with Vintech X73i, A Designs MP-2, and Focusrite ISA
428, all with low and high impedance settings, also with Grace 101.
Ran through all the patterns too. I didn't particularly like it with
any of the combinations, but the Vintech at 300 ohm, wide cardioid
pattern #2 (with Omni=0) was the best of that bunch. I didn't try with
a lot of the X73i's EQ settings, that can often help a little. In my
experience, impedance coupling makes a huge difference in most mics,
check that with whatever preamp you use.

I thought the mic was edgy/dark all at the same time. As you said - no
magic, it just didn't produce the realism I wanted. I tend to like
more 3D presence, the E47 didn't feel like it was going to get that
with any preamp. Maybe good for smoothing out screaming male RNR
singers.

I've had much better success with AEA R84, ADK A-48, and Brauner
Phantom C.

Steve

KyleSong

Tommy B wrote:

Good category, remember to answer in the form of a question, and the name is
Alex. ;-)

I was playing Joker's Wild - much much cheesier.

I'll try it your way though:

Is it cool to say that it was nice to see you at Wayne's thing the other
night?

Kyle

Jack

Thanks Steve & Ted - Spot on observations. I finally ended up cutting vocals
with the E47 into a borrowed Great River MP-2NV, no comression. Using the
300 ohm input setting made all the difference. Less mud and a more pleasing
top end. It's such a relief to have a quality mic after 11 years of
recording.

I'll definitely be looking for a "1073" front end for this mic.

Jason

"Steve Scott" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Steve Scott

Jack wrote:
Thanks Steve & Ted - Spot on observations. I finally ended up cutting

vocals
with the E47 into a borrowed Great River MP-2NV, no comression. Using

the
300 ohm input setting made all the difference. Less mud and a more

pleasing
top end. It's such a relief to have a quality mic after 11 years of
recording.

I'll definitely be looking for a "1073" front end for this mic.

Jason

Good to know you've found a setup you like, Jason, it seems like we're
so rich with choices anymore it's hard to narrow them down. I sure
agree with a 1073-style mic pre, that's almost always a really musical
sound to my ears with just about any mic. The EQ is also very nice on
many of them.

Will we be hearing your new combination on the show anytime soon? My
all-time favorite, I've been listening since 1980, congratulations on
an excellent production.

Steve

hank alrich

Jack wrote:

Thanks Steve & Ted - Spot on observations. I finally ended up cutting vocals
with the E47 into a borrowed Great River MP-2NV, no comression. Using the
300 ohm input setting made all the difference. Less mud and a more pleasing
top end. It's such a relief to have a quality mic after 11 years of
recording.

I'll definitely be looking for a "1073" front end for this mic.

You got yo' "1073" thing happening right there with that GR NV box, but
with a much more versatile palette for a variety of recording
situations. Add the NV EQ and you'll have tracking power galore.

--
ha