Gantt Kushner

Default Portable MD recorder w/ digital output?

I'm looking for a minidisc recorder, preferable portable (so I can
record my
and learn to hate my own playing a little more) with digital output. I
see plenty
of MD recorders w/ digi in, but no portables w/ digi out.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Gantt

Animix

Gantt,

Back in 1996 I think Sony and Tascam had a couple of *portastudio* type
units that *may* have had a coaxial digi output. I don't remember for sure,
but you might check around for one circa 1997, though it's also going to to
have *vintage* circa 1997 A/D converters........;O(

As for the newer stuff............................

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=37671418 26&
rd=1

Won't really fit in your hip pocket though and it looks liike you're going
to need an external preamp/DI..... ;O)

You might want to look at the Zoom products that use the Smartmedia cards.
Pretty simple way to move your tracks to a PC ..............assuming that
this is what you wanted the digital output for.

http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Zoom-Recorders--3496

Never used, or even heard one though.

Cheers,

Doug Joyce
Animix Productions
http://www.graphicresultsofdurango.com/musicstudio.html

"Gantt Kushner" wrote in message
I'm looking for a minidisc recorder, preferable portable (so I can
record my
and learn to hate my own playing a little more) with digital output. I
see plenty
of MD recorders w/ digi in, but no portables w/ digi out.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Gantt

Benjamin Maas

Some of the pro decks have digital outs... The HHB has one (USB as well),
but it is a $1500 Minidisc recorder.

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio

Please remove "Nospam" from address for replies

"Gantt Kushner" wrote in message
I'm looking for a minidisc recorder, preferable portable (so I can
record my
and learn to hate my own playing a little more) with digital output. I
see plenty
of MD recorders w/ digi in, but no portables w/ digi out.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Gantt

Room2b

Mike Rivers wrote:
Yeah. Write to Sony. They nixed the concept of digital output on
portables because it would enable you to make a perfect clone of a
recording you shouldn't. They seem to ignore the fact that you might
actually make a recording that you actually have the right to clone.

I got a Sony MZ-r5ST back around '98 or '99, ordered direct from Japan
via instructions at minidisk.org. It has a detachable portable
recording/playback unit that you can then plonk back into the mother
ship and do digital i/o via Toslink (optical). Definitely a consumer MD
unit (includes SCMS), but it's worked fine for me. I don't use it much
anymore, in favor of laptop field recording.

Leoaw3

I believe the most expensive of the new Hi-MD units allow you to record analog
signals and dump them as digital to your computer. They don't allow the old
disks to be dumped digitally, though. Sony has apparently also released
software that converts from minidisc format to wav files.

-lee-
james of tucson

On 2004-12-07, Logan Shaw wrote:

Sony MD can only deal with compressed audio so a perfect clone of
what?

A perfect clone of the uncompressed PCM data, which could then be
written to a CD or other medium without any further loss beyond
what you're already getting when you play back the minidisc?

Yes! A clean signal path, fully in the digital domain, is of far
more significance than the small amount of high freq attenuation and
dynamic range squishing caused by the ATRAC compression.

Digital out on a MD recorder would put "good enough" audio in your hand,
powered by a single AA battery, with a medium costing less than a buck.

I wouldn't have a problem with aberration caused by ATRAC, but I have a
BIG problem with what comes out of the DAC and out the stupid headphone
jack. Instead of being revolutionary, it's just marginally better than
a cassette recorder.

More importantly, it asserts some kind of Sony control over my work,
which I would regard as a waiver of rights were I to use such a thing.
I don't give Sony any authority to prevent me from working with my own
music in any domain, and so I cannot use this kind of recorder without
abridging my rights. Gets into a life-or-death issue pretty quickly,
and I just can't go there.

ScotFraser

Yes! A clean signal path, fully in the digital domain, is of far
more significance than the small amount of high freq attenuation and
dynamic range squishing caused by the ATRAC compression.

Dynamic range is not squished by ATRAC. Some instrument sustains chase out
slightly faster in complex ensembles (I notice it very slightly on triangle in
full orchestras,) but dynamics are unsquished.

I wouldn't have a problem with aberration caused by ATRAC, but I have a
BIG problem with what comes out of the DAC and out the stupid headphone
jack. Instead of being revolutionary, it's just marginally better than
a cassette recorder.

Though flawed, it's significantly better than cassette.

Scott Fraser
Bob Cain

james of tucson wrote:

I wouldn't have a problem with aberration caused by ATRAC, but I have a
BIG problem with what comes out of the DAC and out the stupid headphone
jack. Instead of being revolutionary, it's just marginally better than
a cassette recorder.

That's not at all what my measurements of a Sony R55 and an
Aiwa F77 (I think it was.) Flat as a ruler round trip on a
sinusoidal sweep and less than .1% distortion.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Richard Crowley

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

james of tucson wrote:

I wouldn't have a problem with aberration caused by ATRAC, but I have a
BIG problem with what comes out of the DAC and out the stupid headphone
jack. Instead of being revolutionary, it's just marginally better than
a cassette recorder.

That's not at all what my measurements of a Sony R55 and an Aiwa F77 (I
think it was.) Flat as a ruler round trip on a sinusoidal sweep and less
than .1% distortion.

Surely you don't think that performance with simple sine
waves is indicitave of its ability to handle complex wave-
forms? Especially something as dynamic and non-linear
as ATRAC?

Frank Vuotto

I bought an MD to record audio at a wedding. Every time I see the
dammed thing get ****ed at Sony because of the cool item it could have
been and the POS it actually is.

I've been thinking of getting something like this little Fostex MR8
gadget:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-FOS-MR8.html

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

Logan Shaw

Richard Crowley wrote:

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

james of tucson wrote:

I wouldn't have a problem with aberration caused by ATRAC, but I have a
BIG problem with what comes out of the DAC and out the stupid headphone
jack.

That's not at all what my measurements of a Sony R55 and an Aiwa F77 (I
think it was.) Flat as a ruler round trip on a sinusoidal sweep and less
than .1% distortion.

Surely you don't think that performance with simple sine
waves is indicitave of its ability to handle complex wave-
forms?

I think he was referring to the quality of the DAC. Using a
signal (such as a sine wave) that would be a best case for
ATRAC compression would actually be a very good way to test
the quality of the DAC (and ADC) on the thing, since there is
no way to test those parts in isolation.

- Logan
Bob Cain

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Bob Cain" wrote in message

james of tucson wrote:

I wouldn't have a problem with aberration caused by ATRAC, but I have a
BIG problem with what comes out of the DAC and out the stupid headphone
jack. Instead of being revolutionary, it's just marginally better than
a cassette recorder.

That's not at all what my measurements of a Sony R55 and an Aiwa F77 (I
think it was.) Flat as a ruler round trip on a sinusoidal sweep and less
than .1% distortion.

Surely you don't think that performance with simple sine
waves is indicitave of its ability to handle complex wave-
forms? Especially something as dynamic and non-linear
as ATRAC?

Right. My purpose was precisely to avoid ATRAC and see what
the electronics alone did on a round trip.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein